xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chinfo

SQL database

How long does it take a database you created to be recognized? I want to install phpnuke, but I can't make it connect to the database I created using the name for that particular db. I'd realy appreciate it if you could help me sort this out.

I know a little about it.WYSWYCfirst,using MySQL Databases to create databases,the name will be Yourname_name.then ,using phpMyAdmin--SQL to create tables.eg:1.adding database znithy_base12.giving znithy_base1 Privileges to znithy 3.go to phpMyAdmin--SQL 4.run codes:CREATE TABLE club_posts ( id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, fid mediumint(8) unsigned default '0', nickname varchar(20) NOT NULL default '', email varchar(50) default NULL,) TYPE=MyISAM;IN phpMyAdmin--SQL console

Uh, a database is present and 'recognised' the instant that it is created.

As znithy said, you need to make sure you include the 'yourname_' before the database name you are trying to connect to. Also, 'yourname_' before the user name you are using to connect to the database server.

From PHP, you can create a MySQL database simply with the mysql_create_db() function. Or, if you wanted to, you could run it as a query, eg:

mysql_query("CREATE DATABASE db_name");

Yes! Databases are recognised instantly. However, Whatever databases you create are prefixed with your username, I guess. So may be If you created a database called DAT then try accessing it with the name yourusername_DAT ... You can easily see it..The other easy way would be use phpmydamin and try connecting with it. Atleast you will be assured that your database is fine. then you may also use the SQL generated by it in your programs.

The problem is , I know the database is there, and the name I used is totally correct, but my nuke installation can't find it, says it doesn't exist and I tried several times.EDIT:I've finally sorted it out! Eureka ;)

Ok, you see when you create a database through cPanel in Xisto you only enter the database name. You have to create a username separately and assign that username to the database you created. I was used to having to create a database and username all in just one step that I overlooked this. ;) So even if you entered all the correct info in phpNuke's config.php file, if the dbuname value (example xxx_yyy) hasn't been granted permission for that particular database through cPanel, it will tell you the database doesn't exist.

I'm not sure about the set up here, but generally, an account comes with a default MySQL username, usually just 'yourname'. So you shouldn't have to create a new user account for MySQL and assign its permissions if you don't want too.

hey with database problems there's always just one simple solution. and that is that you actuall gotta have a good database management programme and the best one so far is phpmyadmin. if you use that i dont think you'll have anyproblems and if you do i think it will let you know.

I'm not sure about the set up here, but generally, an account comes with a default MySQL username, usually just 'yourname'. So you shouldn't have to create a new user account for MySQL and assign its permissions if you don't want too.

In this case, you have to, because the cPanel here allows multiple database usernames, its up to you if you grant it with access permission.

hey with database problems there's always just one simple solution. and that is that you actuall gotta have a good database management programme and the best one so far is phpmyadmin. if you use that i dont think you'll have anyproblems and if you do i think it will let you know.

Nope, myphpAdmin has nothing to do here, its use to administer the database. There was no problem with the database itself so it didn't help. The way things are set up in the cPanel database permissions is much easier controlled tthough the MySQL db management tool because its there you make it.

what is phb ???

Are you asking about PHP in general? or PHPNuke it self?

And yeah, i did have problems with Fantastico installing a forum (any of them) cause i kept on getting a error page but i use scripts manager now and everything is fine.