xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Thorned Rose

Are Milk And Milk Products Good Or Bad For You? Whats your opinion

Is Milk and Milk products to your understanding GOOD or BAD for you?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

well, its been going around that milk is good for you if you are wanting to loose weight..i used to allways drink milk! our family of 4 would go through 6 gallons a week..most was for me..and i am big bones, 6 feet 1 inch tall, noone else in my family is tall, not even aunts uncles, grandma's, etc... i dont know if its that or what..

Its actually bad for you, especially whole milk. I asked my docter, because i never drink milk, I normally drink fat free in my cereal, or just have soy milk. So i asked her if it was okay that i didnt drink milk, and she said its bad for you. She told me people after two years of age really dont need as much milk as everyone is proclaiming.And if you think of it scientifically. If you breast feed your kid , you shouldnt breast feed them for more then 2 years, so why would you give them Animal milk after 2 years of age? Besides all this, milk is nasty.

There are bad milks and there are good milks.The bad milks are those that are pumped from hormone induced cows where the hormones seep into you slowly and can cause weird hair coming out and stuff.The good milk comes from organice non homrone. Beyond the usual vitamins and keeping bones strong, milk soothes alergies and some natural bacteria are beneficial for your stomach.I used to drink only milk when I was a boy. I strongly think thats where I got my 6'1" size and large rib bones which are good for fighting. But I used to drink hormone reduced fat milk and it made me hairy, so I started on organic and only drink a glass a day and I'm no longer hairy.

Milk is my favorite beverage. It has never caused me any harm (aside from a sour taste in my mouth after sleeping after a cup), and I have never broken a bone nor gotten a cavity (I haven't done much that could break any of my bones, but I am hardly a dental hygene fanatic).It has many necessary vitamines and chemicals, so I don't see how it would be bad.By the way, it has been proven that a warm cup of milk really doesn't put you to sleep. Furthermore, it tastes disgusting.

lol, so thats the nasty taste i get in my mouth in the morning times lmao, ill sit there wake up, take a showr, get dressed grab a bowl of cerial, and eat it drink the milk and fall back asleep *daily routine* but when i wake up i get a nasty taste in my mouth hehe.i still love milk!

Whether milk is good or bad for your bones or not doesn't matter. It certainly isn't a harmful thing to ingest. Otherwise, we would not be fed it solely as infants. Milk has many nutrients, one of them being calcium. To say that it is bad for your bones would be idiocy.

For those who keep saying they drank milk as a kid, and thats why they are sooo tall. Um, its called genetics, just because no one else in your family is tall doesnt mean you wont be tall , its just that you show the gene, where as they don't. I have a friend, she is 5'10 and she is lactose intolerant, her brother is 6'5" and he also is lactose intolerant. True they have tall family members on both sides, but not all of them are tall, and too my knowledge most of them arent big milk drinkers. Milk really just packs on the pounds if you don't exersize. I am not saying my sister is fat, but my 11 year old sister basically ONLY drinks milk, and she has a lot of extra weight, and i know its because of the ammount of milk she drinks (she will sit there and have two full glasses of milk, during dinner time, and through out the day its just glasses after glasses. All it does is packs on the pounds for her. Same with my 17 year old sister all she does is drink milk...and both her and my 11 year old sister are much heavier then the rest of my siblings.I am not saying it makes bones weaker, but after basically 2 years of age is just creates an unhealthy habbit, to drink soo much milk is bad for you, and it doesnt make your bones stronger...it does nothing. Maybe i am just against drinking soo much milk because i dont see why people think it tastes soo good, its like thick, even if its fat free...whole milk is vomitrocious, it smells bad, even when its not. I can't even talk about it anymore its making me gag :(

Given I started this topic, it might be best if I jump in and put some things out in my predictable experiment. First off I started this knowing that the majority of people would think that milk is good but I was especially interested in the number of people, if any that actually know the true face of milk.

First off HUMAN milk for infants is very good and very necessary. Studies have shown that breastfeeding till 2 years gives babies better IQ, immune systems, social behaviour etc BUT and this is a very big BUT, around the age of 3 the body stops producing lactase (helps digest lactose) and rennin ('curdles' milk to make it more easily digested) which means that after this age, humans (and other animals for that matter) cannot digest milk properly.

It is common 'knowledge' that milk is good for your bones - you've probably heard that from the government, the dairy industry, on tv, your teacher, from your Mum etc but new research has found that in actual fact, milk CAUSES osteoporosis rather than preventing it. But how is this possible you ask when milk is so high in calcium? The reason being that 1. The calcium in milk isn't easily absorbed by the body and 2. because milk is so difficult to digest it causes indigestion (even if you don't feel it) and the body draws calcium out of the bones to deposit into your stomach to help neutralise the acid. The more milk consumed by a country, the higher the rate of osteoporosis - proven statistic. In countries where milk consumption is very low, osteoporosis is virtually non-existant.

That of course is just one problem. Casein, the protein in milk, is also very allergenic causing people to be more susceptible to allergies and asthma etc. It has also been linked to some forms of cancer and other diseases but they are somehwat more tentative at this point in time. If you would like to read more you can go to a site called NotMilk.com. Though they do tend to be a little zealous. After reading what I have, my family is now going dairy free and I am hoping that my daughter's severe eczema will go away (my son is badly affected by milk too and I must minimise the dairy I eat otherwise the small amounts of it that get into my milk - I breastfeed - give him bad reflux and eczema). Got milk?

i think milk is good. Warm milk is nasty. lol. I prefer mines cold please. Whole milk tends to be good but it has all these fats and stuff in it. I still prefer to drink the whole products just ebcause i've been used to it. Rarely do i drink the skim milk products. Skim milk and cereal is not good. If you don't really need milk which gives you calcium that strengthens your bones and stuff. Then why are people getting osteoporosis like women?? It just sounds weird that milk isn't even good for you.

The calcium that is in cow's milk doesn't contain easily digested calcium so your body can't absorb it very well anyway, on top of that your body can't digest milk well so it draws calcium from out of your bones to aid digestion meaning you end up with less calcium. There are better sources of calcium than milk like dark leafy greens, various nuts, broccoli, seasame seeds are extremely high in calcium (5 times the amount of milk) so tahini is good too and obviously hummus which is made with tahini, boney fish etc. Here's a site that lists foods high in calcium, how much you need and things that reduce calcium absorption. Milk also causes problems like asthma, eczema, allergies, cancer, digestive problems, irritable bowel, lactose intolerance (bloating, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, constipation etc) amongst other things. Dairy is bad news - don't have dairy or at the very least minimise your intake. You can swap milk for things like rice milk. Trust me, dairy isn't worth the price you will end up paying.

Milk definitely does not make you fat. Even whole milk is only like 2.5 - 3% fat. Its not that bad for you. I drink like 3 glasses a day normally and i am 6 ft tall and only 135 lbs. Trust me, if it made me gain weight i would so drink like 6 - 8 glasses a day but it doesnt. The calcium it contains helps with bones and prevents boneloss (esp. for women since they need more calcium). Also it contains a ton of other vitamins which are good for the body and it also has asidophious bacteria in it which is good for the intestines and helps fight fungus and keep the digestive system on track.

fffanatics, did you not read the previous posts? Milk CAUSES osteoporosis not prevents it - your body gets very little calcium from milk and actually loses more than it gains. Asidophilus and bifidus are good for you but you should get them from non-dairy sources as dairy is definitely NOT good for your digestive track. Try going dairy free for a month and you will see what I mean.

I've heard that the calcium in cow's milk can't be absorbed by humans. It was made only for their babies and not ours. And isn't there a lot of fat in milk? I once knew a guy who drank milk all day and he is still overweight from what I've heard.

There are bad milks and there are good milks.The bad milks are those that are pumped from hormone induced cows where the hormones seep into you slowly and can cause weird hair coming out and stuff.
The good milk comes from organice non homrone. Beyond the usual vitamins and keeping bones strong, milk soothes alergies and some natural bacteria are beneficial for your stomach.

This post is very informative. I never hardly thinks about the consequence of drinking milk. I actually thought milk to be just good enough to help us with many ingredients which we need. Like most of you said it is not neccessarily a need for one to drink milk after grown up. But milk is definitely healthy if we choose the right one.

But I used to drink hormone reduced fat milk and it made me hairy, so I started on organic and only drink a glass a day and I'm no longer hairy.

Really? Now it makes me think deeply what factors apart from milk might have contributed to hairs? Asians in the east and far east are less hairy compare to Asians in the South.. and South Asians are those who drinks milk alot. Just another proof to your observation...