xisto Community
JasperIk

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder also known as OCD

I did a search and didnt find anything on it. I am not too sure if it goes here, but its not really a "health" issue in my opinion so...Does anyone have it, or know someone who has it? I have it, i never really knew what it was a I had, but i kind of self diagnosed myself with it, because its hard to miss that i have it.Ill just give a list of things I do that obviously point the direction to having OCD.1. I have to smell a glass, and rinse it out before i use it. Then i cannot put my lips on the cup, so i have to tuck my lips under my teeth, then drink it, because subconsiously i think its poisoned on the outside.2. If a candle, picture, or anything like that is crooked i HAVE to fix it. If a there is something on a table, like a candle or something, and i touch it, i HAVE to touch all the other things like it on the table. I have to touch poles if i am walking, and yes i do go back if i miss one.3. If i find trash, like a candy wrapper and i remember the moment i had it.. i cannot throw it away, no matter how much room it takes up. If something has been in one place for a long time I can't move it, someone else has to..i feel like it BELONGS there and i must NOT move it.4. If I start up a music box, i have to keep it going, or i have to leave it playing and leave the room, and make sure i cant hear it, so i never know when it stops. I feel something bad might happen if i let myself hear it stop. 5. Someone has to choose what food to buy, because i feel bad for the other foods because i didnt choose them. This is like that for other things that come in more then one...sometimes i even try making the person with me buy something of the same, so it doesnt feel left out. 6. If i sneeze and no one says bless you, i freak out and i have to say bless you to myself. Because i feel like something will happen if no one says it. 7. This isnt the case anymore, thankfully. But i used to not be able to wear anything to bed BUT this one pair of pajama pants, and a shirt. I wouldnt sleep if i couldnt find them, i actually did stay up a few times looking for them! I just would NOT wear anything else. 8. I used to not be able to swim in a pool, i could barely get near one. I would just get this awful feeling like something bad would happen if i got in, so i just didnt get in for years. 9. I used to, and kind of still hate going to the snow, like taking a trip to the snow, especially on saturdays..i felt like something bad would happen10. If i like an actor, i have to pull myself into another celebrity...i feel if i like them too much they will die...so i have to stop liking them in order to not lose them. (probably personally, my weirdest thing) 11. If i am writing something, and dont like how i wrote a word i will erase it till its perfect, or i will just throw away the paper and write it all again, even if like i wrote an 'I' a little slanted. 12. Sometimes i will be busy and for no reason i will think omg did i close my front door. I have cats and dogs, and they are little and so if i leave my door open they could run away and possibly be eatten by coyotes. So if i dont shut my door its a big deal. And itll ruin my day because i have to hurry and come home to make sure i shut my door. Those are the only ones i can really remember i am sure i do more. but those are the ones i actually am aware i do, i am sure i do more that i dont even realize...So does anyone else have it? I was in the car with my friends mom the other day and talk bout OCD came on the radio. My friends mom was being kind of a b.... about it saying its not real and people need to just get over their fears. But its really not that easy, the only thing i agreed with her on, was that it starts when you have no control in your life, so you start controlling little things. Which is probably true because a lot (some i have been doing since i really young) of the things i do i never did till my friend died, which is when i got really depressed, and thats when the pajama thing happened. (which really was my worst one, it was very inconvienant and i am so glad i finally pulled myself out of that one)....The radio basically said mostly girls have it, but i am a guy and i have it, so if there any other guys who have it?

Does anyone have it, or know someone who has it? I have it, i never really knew what it was a I had, but i kind of self diagnosed myself with it, because its hard to miss that i have it.

2. If a candle, picture, or anything like that is crooked i HAVE to fix it. If a there is something on a table, like a candle or something, and i touch it, i HAVE to touch all the other things like it on the table. I have to touch poles if i am walking, and yes i do go back if i miss one.

I do that too, i cant stand it to me crooked. We have a clock in our kitchen its never stright and i always feel weird when i look at it.
I always have to do something two times or a even amount of time like on the microwave I have to stop it on a even number and if I dont i turn it back on then once its on another even number i stop it.

I to have a few more but I forgot them.

I told my mom about it but she says nothing is wrong with me.

I am a male too

Have you tryed wikipedia.org or any similar site.

I have found this definition:

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a psychiatric disorder, specifically, an anxiety disorder. OCD is manifested in a variety of forms, but is most commonly characterized by a subject's obsessive drive to perform a particular task or set of tasks, compulsions commonly termed rituals.

If you want the whole story you can find it here (not that I read it, but I think's it's what you wanted):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive-Compulsive_Disorder

I hope this was (or will be, should I say) helpful!

Hmm, what you're saying sounds a lot like my old self. I can relate to just about every item on your list. I don't know...but I don't have it anymore. I guess I just found something to do, and after a while, I stopped thinking about all those stuff.

I did something that i didnt think i would ever do. Normally the things i do don't bother other people (meaning they dont need to do anything, because of what i do) well...the other day I went to get a drink, and my ex was in the kitchen and I was like can you hand me a cup, and he's like i will just get it for you. So, without thinking i told him, can you smell it? And he just gave me a weird look, and then i realized he wasnt going to do it, and so i was like please? can you just do that...so he did, and i was like okay now rinse it? And he did, than he poured me a drink..And i felt bad, but i had never done that before, and i couldnt handle him not smelling and rinsing. If i had not seen him get me the drink, i probably wouldnt care, but i watched him.And i realized that i count a lot, maybe i just subcontiously like to count, and i dont notice it, but sometimes i will stop because i realize that i have been counting for like 5 minutes.

I possess some symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder. You mentioned that you must rewrite things that don't look nice. I do the same thing, and will constantly throw papers away. That's why most of my schoolwork is typed. I must organize everything or I go crazy. This is especially true where I work. After school I work in a coffee shop, and we have about 25 syrups for flavoring. I alphabetize these almost every time I go in. Another thing that is perfectly organized is my computer. All of my files have a folder, and if I have a file that doesn't fit in one of these, I make a new folder for it.Also, everything I do must be equal or somehow geometric in form. I'm not sure of any better way to explain this. This also helps with efficiency, which is another thing that I go crazy over. I constantly get angry with others when they are not being efficient.Oh, and I'm a male, to answer your question. My symptoms certainly aren't as bad as your own, but they are somewhat annoying.

It also bothers me when things are crooked. In my room and the rest of my house, everything is a mess. But if I'm somewhere else, I like it when things are clean and if I know the person sometimes I'll help clean. I hate muck on stuff too.... Even if it's white out or something. I can't help it, I just like it neat and pretty. I still don't understand why I don't mind a mess in my own house, though. I think it might be because I am soooo used to that very mess.

I have OCD, the compulsive cleaning kind. The organizing kind, and the kind that makes me want everything to be "perfect."

It's a pain in the but, because I will be in the middle of something, and I will get distracted by something else, like the urge to 'straighten a picture, BEFORE I will allow myself to make my coffee, or something of the sort.

OCD and ADD/ADHD (ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDER/ ATTENTION DEFICIT- HYPERACTIVE DISORDER) are very much alike because the mess with your ability to remain focused on JUST ONE TASK.

You should see me, my husband thinks I'm hillarious, but I find it to be very serious. So because of this disorder, I feel like SCRAT the squirrel from the Ice Age Movie, I'm just like that when I'm shopping. I can't just buy ONE of anything, I have to buy in multiples of 3:) Why? OCD is why.

And the hand washing, although I don't require a new bar of soap each time I wash my hands, I do wash my hands too frequently. Yet another thing I get distracted by when in the middle of something.

Because of OCD I have a hard time getting anything done on schedule. All it takes is one trip to the washroom, or a need for a coffee refill, and I am off doing a billion other things, that are NOT on my list of things to do. and by the end of the day sometimes I've completed my tasks, and sometimes I haven't but either way I am exhausted:)

My father sent me an ADD/ADHD related email that totally applies for anyone who happens to have OCD, so I will post it here, it's very funny and true...

A. A. A. D. D.

OK hands up for those of you have these kinda days cause I have at least 6 a week, and the 7th day..................LOL ("")

Recently, I was diagnosed with A. A. A. D. D. - Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder. This is how it develops:

I decide to water my garden.

As I turn on the hose in the driveway, I look over at my car and decide my car needs washing.

As I start toward the garage, I notice that there is mail on the porch table that I brought up from the mailbox earlier.

I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car.

I lay my car keys down on the table, put the junk mail in the garbage can under the table, and notice that the can is full.

So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the garbage first.

But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox, when I take out the garbage anyway, I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my checkbook off the table, and see that there is only 1 check left.

My extra checks are in my desk in the study, so I go inside the house to my desk where I find the can of Coke that I had been drinking.

I'm going to look for my checks, but first I need to push the Coke aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over.

I see that the Coke is getting warm, and I decide I should put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the Coke, a vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye--they need to be watered.

I set the Coke down on the counter, and I discover my reading glasses that I've been searching for all morning.

I decide I better put them back on my desk, but first I'm going to water the flowers.

I set the glasses back down on the counter, fill a container with water and suddenly I spot the TV remote.

Someone left it on the kitchen table.

I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV, I will be looking for the remote, but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.

I pour some water in the flowers, but quite a bit of it spills on the floor.

So, I set the remote back down on the table, get some towels and wipe up the spill.

Then, I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day:

the car isn't washed,

the bills aren't paid,

there is a warm can of Coke sitting on the counter,

the flowers don't have enough water,

there is still only 1 check in my check book,

I can't find the remote,

I can't find my glasses,

and I don't remember what I did with the car keys.

Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done today,

I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all day long, and I'm really tired.

I realize this is a serious problem, and I'll try to get some help for it, but first I'll check my e-mail.

Do me a favor, will you? Forward this message to everyone you know, because I don't remember to whom it has been sent.

Don't laugh -- if this isn't you yet, your day is coming.......!

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY.

GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL.

LAUGHING AT YOURSELF IS THERAPEUTIC.

P.S I just remembered. I LEFT THE WATER RUNNING IN THE DRIVEWAY!

GOTTA GO!!!!

Sound Familiar?