xisto Community
icemarle

My Review Of Megaupload.com File Sharing Service

I'm sure most of you have heard of Megaupload, a service which enables you to upload your files to their server and share it with other people for free. I use such services so that I can share unlicensed manga through my site. Well, here's my review, and a bit of a rant at the end... :ph34r:UPLOAD: 9/10It's so easy! All you have to do is click on the browse button and choose the file you want to upload. Then, fill up the other options in the bottom when necessary. Send it and watch it go! There's also a status bar showing the progress of your upload. Then a link shows up after you finish sending. Pretty easy huh?DOWNLOAD: 4/10Now how about the person you're sending to? They click a link and have to click to proceed. Then, (New and horrible feature) unless they have an IP based on the US, UK or Canada, they get unlimited downloads! Cool, huh? Too bad if you get an error message saying all the slots for your country are full. It seems that they base it on how much your country has helped out with Megaupload. Not very handy. I hate this personally, because I DON'T HAVE A US, UK, or Canada based IP!!! It's horrible! Plus, there's not a very big chance that you wouldn't get a slot. It's horrible... :blink: You also have to wait for some time before getting your download. Not that I mind it, but the annoying thing is, once your IP is not based on the afformentioned countries, you probably won't be getting your download.Overall Rating: 5/10The upload was OK, but the download area pulled it down.I know this isn't a very long review, but isn't that what you mostly look for in filesharing sites? The upload and download rating? Anyway, I've been disappointed with the service. I only stuck with it for so long because the other services time-out when I upload something. I just wish that they'd discontinue that IP-filtering. It's really annoying and it causes grief for people who don't have the "privilege" of living in the US, UK or Canada... :)

Notice from mayank:
Edited topic title & description
Edited by mayank (see edit history)

Ya there isn't really a point of using an upload site if people can't download it pretty fast. It would be better the other way around to have a slower upload than download and less problems with download because that is what you are trying to do. Give the people downloading it a nice fast easy download. Thanks for the review I will make sure to remember it if I am ever looking for an upload site.

Well, good thing they don't put any hourly restrictions. My (cough, not so intelligent) friends don't know how to use Rapidshare, but MegaUpload is a bit more simple (suitable for their cough simple cough mind :()

Don't know if that's the case now, but when I was downloading something from Megaupload.com a few months ago, the maximum speed was about 7-9KBps(!)Asked a friend with a higher bandwidth connection to try and download the same file as I did, and he got the same results.BTW: Nobody mentioned the maximum upload file size: 250MB (used to be 500MB).

Hm, yeah I forgot about that... Maybe because I don't really care since I don't upload stuff that big... Anyway, Megaupload sucks for the downloaders... It's hard to get your download at times, and it could be very very slow... :( I should be changing to a new one soon, but I need a filesharing service that doesn't timeout when I upload... :/ Plus, some of them don't accept zip files anyway...

megaupload SUCKS. everyone tries using megaupload cause its faster to upload. people who upload there just care about themselves. all they care about is uploading fast. the rest sucks. megaupload is what the peope who pirate stuff use... so if u use megaupload, ur a "pirate"

megaupload is what the peope who pirate stuff use... so if u use megaupload, ur a "pirate"

Not a very good assumption. You can't go around stereotyping people using such a service... :( I didn't even know that Megaupload's download speeds are slow since I'm on dial-up, and have always been slow... *cough* Anyway, I agree that it sucks. I'm currently looking for a better service that won't make your files expire (Downloads every 30 days or so for making the file stay in the server are fine) and one that won't time-out on me when I upload... I wonder if you guys know any good ones. Expiry and time-outs are big issues for me.

I think these kind of sites are goig more and more difficult and annoying each day. A banner around here, a confirmation code around there, wait a countdown, etc, choose free or premium download... what happened with the easy system of yousendit? upload, download and that?s all.Anyway I think there is a high rate of piracy downloads in megaupload but it?s like burning CDs, you know that a lot of people duplicate records, games, programs, etc but it?s not always that simple.

i hate the flash components they have on the site, when you exedently go over those, you get this 'to' hard sound... that is just really stupid.

Yea, unfortunately megaupload does have some very frustrating download speeds. Very rarely do I get a speed that goes over 25 kilobytes per second. It starts of nice, but then rapidly declines. I also noticed that from time to time the download freezes up and you have to go back and restart the download, very annoying. But then again, it is a free service so we can't complain too much. I usually try to use rapidshare when I can, but sometimes people favor using megauploads because there is no hourly limit, even though it takes longer than an hour to download the average file from their site. Well, those were my two cents. Anyone else?

I love the Megauplaod upload staus bar and stst. They ae just so sweet - the best I've seen in any host if they had good download sppeds too I wouldn't even have turned to any other file host. RapidShare is aslo good. But there's a new and player: Megashares (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/). I just love their service. Nicefast and they allow upto 1.5 GB files for frree! Their download sppeds are also great. That's even better than FileFront.

Yup, I hate megaupload, it really annoys me when people upload on there when they no its one of the most rubbish file hosts in the world, as the download speeds are really really slow. I don't know about the upload speed because ive never tried that bit myself i dont think anyway lol. But yup, megaupload has one of the slowest download speeds of any file host i have ever visited, they should just stop what they are doing now because they are never going to beat rapidshare as they have the right idea in what they are doing and they are doing it all right.

One of the most irritating file hosts you can catch these days. Seriously, what could you do when you get a restriction to downlad 24x7. Yeah,its true. These days i always get the message "All 500 Download slots assigned to your country are in use.So please try again later". But wait ...we have a compensation !!! Yeah ,you can proceed to your download if you install an Alexa toolbar. Alright. When i saw this and made up my mind to live with that crap, yet another thing to annoy you . The Alexa Toolbar is limited to Internet Explorer. So for all those firefox users ,it might be a better idea to forget about megaupload and mive on to some other filehost.

If you still want to go ahead with this piece of crap you well might do it.

THE BOTTOMLINE :

Megaupload Sucks !!!!

Edited by apexbug (see edit history)

My opinion on megaupload is ABOVE AVERAGE!Megaupload is one of the best free sharing online sites, Rapidshare is crap because 20mb upload limit and 100mb download limit i think, it might have changed! But anyways Megaupload has a higher maximum download and upload. megaupload is alright yay!

Well generally all of these upload sites are pretty rubbish, especially megaupload. Its a good thing then that there really is no use for them now (OK there is one main use, but the Xisto ToS won't let me talk about that). Seriously though if you have to send a file to someone you'd be a lot better off emailing it to them, trust me you'd save a hell of a lot of truoble and it would be faster, or you could always use any one of the multitude of IM clients that support file transfer.I'll admit that I don't use these sites often (hell I could only name you two of them this and rapidshare, both of whihc are terrible IMO and I avoid using them unless its absolutely nessecery) so I really don't have much in the way of knowledge as to their inner workings, I do know that the UI on each of these sites are terrible and all this 'Please wait while we waste your time doing nothing' nonsense is rubbish. I must admit though that for a free service you can't really complain I would just recommend one of the many better alternate methods (i.e. Gmail).