xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kingi89

Megabits Or Megabytes? about space bandwidth of Trap17.com

In index page of this forum I can find text:

Package 1 ( 20mb w/ 500mb BW): 10 CreditsPackage 2 (150mb w/ 5000mb BW) : 30 Credits

But I stopped to think: Are you meaning megabits (Mb) or megabytes (MB)?
Because one megabyte is 8 megabits, it is important to know:
Is Package 1 20MB or ~ 2,5Mb and
Is Package 2 150MB or ~ 18,75Mb
I really hope that it is just typed incorrectly and you're meaning bytes instead of bits.

Arn't They both the same..i just thought that Megabyte was the plural of Megabit...anyway im pretty much sure it would be megabyte, for the reason that i think the term megabyte is more of a popular measurment in space than megabit :blink:

It is megabytes. If it wasn't, I would be way over my quote already. I have like 100MB used out of my 150MB quota. I didn't really realize that there was two different sizes of megabyte and megabit. Thats nice to know, thanks kingi89 :blink:

There are 8 bits in 1 Byte. Normally the geek world would write them as MB for Megabyte and Mb for Megabit. That goes the same for KB (Kilobyte) and kb (kilobit). But no one really pays any attention now-a-days since saying, 3 megabits sounds larger than 375 bytes. They are the same.To answer your question regarding our hosting space: it's 20 megabytes and 150 megabytes, respectively. :blink: Just thank god that we're not still using the old Unix term, "blocks."

I think megabits is used for small amounts of MB, like 5MB or 7MB, whereas megabytes is used for 64MB and 128MB. I'm not really sure though, my brother uses megabits alot when referring to small amounts of MB.

M.L.,Mega means one thousand. Byte means there are eight bits. So Megabits and Megabytes are different calculation.Like Kingi89 posted, 20 megabits is 2.5 megabytes. Because you divide 20 by 8 and you get 2.5. Think of it this way, gallon vs pint. 1 gallon(US) = 8 pints(US). Although they mean the same volume it's different measuring units. So 1 Megabyte is equal to 8 Megabits.