xisto Community
darkvirus

Mobile Internet (wap) wap

It should be possible if you created *wml files instead and hosted here.. Go to the same address as you would on a PC and it should work on your mobile phone as well.Hosting is just a service, they can be accessed anywhere at anytime as long as you are connected to the internet. WAP is connected to the internet at the back end. So your request on the phone is routed to your web host, which is still functional.In fact, you can upload a midi file to your webhost, then enter that URL of the midi file on your mobile phone, and you actually downloading the midi as a ringtone to your phone. So that's how the ringtone companies work..

Yes it will work because my site is in the WAP language, it's hosted here and it works fine <_<. You just have to know what you are doing because if you make a mistake you might think its the hosting company's fault which it's not.

i've tried putting my wml files in my account and it works. of course i used an emulator to test to see if it's really working, since i don't have a phone that can access wap sites. unfortunately, i'm still stuck with a gsm phone that's not really mine. <_< it's just a temporary thing, since it's just a project required in one of my subjects.

Wml is a short form of Wireless Markup Language. It is simply a programming language for mobile internet pages. It is not necessary to learn that since nowadays mobile phones are able to browse html and xhtml compliant web pages. I have tried coding Wml before and it is very light weight, and pretty much like html except that it makes use of xml. IMO, I think it is a pretty dead language with the increase in processing power of mobile phones. You can view wap pages by installing the plugin on Firefox, not too sure about IE though

Opera can view WML/WAP pages without plugins :)And I can confirm that you can put WML files or even PHP with WML output on here and it will work because I did it myself when I was hosted :) Now I'm just here to pass the time hehe..And MIDI files work too.But with all this advanced mobile technology you should put MP3s as ringtones if you are hosting them.. Or WAV/AMR.. I think MP3s aren't allowed here.. (maybe the rules changed since 2 years ago)

speaking of wap, i've done some programming on that and i think it's fairly easy. and if i get the time, i'd probably do a mobile version of my website. although i'm thinking of buying a mobile phone that can connect to the internet, not for testing (since there are lots of emulators out there), just for a change of phones (i've been using the same old phone like 4 years now).right now i'm doing programming on mobile games :)

Yeah most of my hits to my site hosted here are to my wap site, it getting very popular and its good about spreading the word about your site to those who use your wap site. And it is very easy to get mobile community scripts off the internet which I did and very easy to program and customise and really brings in the hits :)

Its very interesting to make the mobile version of a site. I am presently learning to make my site's mobile version. But I want to know how to register my site to search engines.

The issue about mobile phones would have to be as less resource intensive as possible. Since many people are connecting through gprs or 3g and every data transferred is being charged. It was ridiculous, I simply downloaded 1,309 kb of data, and I was charged SGD 20 for it. Imagine that? I have unlimited broadband access on the desktop and I only pay SGD 48. A mobile page would have to be very simplistic, and at the same time maintaining to your purpose which is a mobile version of your site, not losing any content which they would be able to view on the desktop.

what sort of midification do you have to make to the html pages to make it viewable on cell phones?

To limit the site content to a minimum is a big task. One should use only text in his site and no or less images. I think this limits wap sites to only jokes, emails. search, sms, etc types of sites.

some lucky people have unlimited data plan so you should IMO provide a site with graphics as on most phones with wap, images can be turned off in settings menu (if that person is paying per kb)or you could make a menu at the start with 2 options. Text OR Text and Images :)