xisto Community
Albus Dumbledore

Mobile Phone Design Flip Vs Non-flip which design is your choice?

I have a flip phoone right now..and i like it..i think it is better than having a erm.. Non-flip phone most people lock the keys so they dont push busttons when in pockets..but with flip phoines you dont.what do ya'll think?

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
You must completely fill out the topic title AND description. Make your topic title so that it reveals key words.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

yeah i have a flip phone too. i think they are really a lot better than the non flip ones. Because as you said you dont have to lock the keys which usualy dosnet work to well and you end up calling people or you just forget to do it and yeah. Also i think flip phone are a lot my stylisher than other ones. Take the motorola V3 for example. For me its the best looking phone of all time. and it is very good for how thin it is but then again it sucks if you compare it to most phones today. (just 5mb space, only VGA camera.)Then theres the V3x which im using right now and its great. its still pretty thin. Not as thin as its older version but you get lots of stuff. All the Non-Flip phone that are out at the moment are pretty big and ugly to begin with because they try to keep up with todays standards but they cand do that and make them nice and small so they end up big. which apart from not nicelooking its also bad to carry around if you like to have it in your pocket like me. What does someone else think? tell us which type you have and which you preffer and why.

Right now I have an old crappy LG flip phone, but luckily for me my contract is up in February so I can get a new phone.I am definately going to stick with another flip phone. It's not really a size issue, since some of the non-flip, brick type phones are comparable in size. The clincher in my opinion is the built in protection. For brick type phones the screen inevitably gets all scratched up over time by being in your pocket. New phones have large color LCDs which really look spectacular compared to my green screen now. So I would rather the screen be protected by the rest of the phone while it is bouncing around in my pocket.I recently read somewhere while I was researching the phone I will get when I replace my old one, that Europeons like the Brick style phones. While us here in the US prefer flip phones. Anyone from Europe wanna chime in and prove or disprove this?

I'll have to prove your point. I live in the UK, and I got the K700i, a non-flip phone, at Christmas. The only reason I go for non-flip phones is because I used to have a filp phone, but it stopped working because of the connections in the hinge. Ever since I have used non-flip phones.

I like the flip phones because I think it provides added protection for your phone, although sometimes the flip can break off and you're left in frustration...that's what happened to me this summer, when my phone snapped in half and all I was left with was a tiny wire holding my phone together. Only after calling upon highly successful duck-tape I was able to continue using it...I think the standard cell phones (non-flip) are a tad bit outdated and it's kind hard to find one that is comparable to flip phones these days...with camera and camcorder possibilities like flip phones have...I just renewed my contract and got a nice phone from Verizon...the Samsung A950. It's got one of those MP3 players and I can record up to an hour of video and over 1500 high quality pictures (with the memory card)...I don't know if you could find quality like that in non-flip phone these days...

I like flip phones because they're compact and stylish, and because you can't really press buttons by accident. But I wouldn't want one because they're too popular and... well... :) .(Remembering a bad expirience, I suddenly decide to click "Add Reply" without continuing this post)

Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

I used to have a flip phone, the one with a button on the side so it flips open. After a few weeks the flipping used to get really slow or not work at all and you couldn't even force it open, so I asked to repair it, then sold it, then got a non-flip. It's much more convienient and.. I dunno, just feels better when you talk on it. :)

yeah, the hinges to frighten me sometime lol, ouch, that sucks your flipy thingy fliped off i guess you can call it....dont ya know ducktape works for everything!! except for keeping mouths shut, no mater how much or how tight my dad puts it on my mouth *i asked him too :) * i can always get it off without using my hands heheverry true elev... also seems like a good phone you got there..it'd be nice to have an MP3 player in my phone..would be awsome!!how are they convienent?? i just dont see how they are lol...

I have a non-flip phone, and it works just fine. When I have it in my pocket, I don't press buttons, and on the rare occasion that I do, I can easily exit out of the screen. I personally do not like flip phones because they are more easily broken. You can not take two ends of my phone, apply pressure, and rip it into two separate peices.I don't have any problems with flip phones though, I'm sure they're as reliable as the one I have, but this non-flip one is fine for me, no real problems.

That's a very good reason for having a flip phone. I switched to a flip phone recently and I found out that this is a big advantage too. I often received stupid calls and SMS from my friends who have forgot to lock their key pads. These calls are quite annoying. Flip phones also offer better protection to the TFT monitor from scretching and damaging. I like flip phones more now.

flip, definatly.other then the notrandomly calling people thing, they also are generally smaller. BUT they are larger when opened up. It just feels weird when i try to call with a "flipless" phone because the microphone is on my cheek somewhere. At least with my flip phone im sure what im saying is getting received well enough.plus you can play with them by repeatedly fliping them open and shut.

lol @ fliping it open and closed! that is fun tho! ill sit there int he middle of my homeroom and flip it open and closed open and closed..i use my thumb and put it between the keypad and screen and push it open, then use my index finger to close it

I've got a Flip phone and am using non-flip phone too. I have been using non-flip phones now for quite a while and this motorola flip phone is really the first one I have got so far. I have personally liked the flip phone over the non-flip one for the obvious reasons like the screen doesnt get scratchy even when its bouncing in your pocket and you dont make annoying calls unknowingly to anyone in your phone book. Moreover I also like it coz it seems classier than the non-flip one and you get so many features in a more compact space as well.

There's another reason why I like flip phones, especially ones like the Motorola Razr. They look A LOT like the communicators in Star Trek...

I am not a fan of flip phones, although they are more stylish in terms of design and remove the need to actually press the lock button, they are also very fragile. Should you happen to drop your phone and it hits the ground very hardly, there could be a slight chance that the spring which fits the flipping mechanism gets chipped off and from there, your phone is screwed. I prefer the normal phones, to prevent any scratches, buy a cover. I did that, and I still have 0 scratches on my phone. Usually I put my handphone inside a pouch so there is no chance I will ever send stupid SMS to my friends.