xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
alemb

Networking With Mac Os X Computers

I'm having trouble networking with a few Mac OS computers on the LAN I've got my knoppix machine running on. LEt me see if I can give all of the pertinent details. This system is a salvaged Intel Celeron 1.1 GHz running Knoppix 3.9. It's connected via eth0 to a router on which reside an iMac and two Apple Laptops (I don't know their models, I'm not sure it's relevant to the problem). I've been trying to get this computer and the Apple computers to connect to a Freeciv server being run on one of the machines, but whenever a connection is attempted between the Knoppix computer and the Macs, I get a "Failed looking up host" error". It's frustrating because this computer has internet access, and I can ping the other computers with no packet loss, but I can't see them or connect to them via games or the network. Any suggestions?

What versions of Mac OS X are you using? 10.2, 10.3, or 10.4? That would help, although most of the networking settings should be the same. Something to consider is trying to find the program Zeroconf for Linux. It is also know as Rendevous or Bonjour for Mac and can help automatically detect other machines on a network. Now, can all the Mac systems conect to each other? If not, then try to get those units to talk to each other first. If you cannot, then there might be something screwy with the router configuration. Now if the Macs are working, but the Linux machine isn't, there could be some problem with the ethernet card settings or some other setting on the Linux box. Try and narrow it down and post back and I'll see if I can't help you trouble shoot the system.