xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
alemb

Biggest Newb Here

ok guys, im prob. one of the biggest newbs on this forum..... i need help setting my internet up.... i have no clue what u guys neeed, but ill give u info bout what i know.... i have a wireless card linksys WUSBF54G uhh i have knoppix v4, i have no clue what eles u will need to know...so plz help the newb out, i would really appreciate it....thanks

ok guys, im prob. one of the biggest newbs on this forum..... i need help setting my internet up.... i have no clue what u guys neeed, but ill give u info bout what i know.... i have a wireless card linksys WUSBF54G uhh i have knoppix v4, i have no clue what eles u will need to know...so plz help the newb out, i would really appreciate it....thanks

219749[/snapback]

Im not sure what knoppix v4 is, but if u want to connect wirelessly to the internet u need to have a wireless router and of course some sort of ISP. I would think that your router should have all the instructions that you would need to setup both the router and the wireless card to make it secure and everything.

Knoppix ...meaning the Live Linux?Definitely you need a wireless router and an internet connection. Once your router is set up properly, your computer should be able to find it and connect to it (assuming you're wireless card is installed properly and there are Knoppix drivers for it).

Hmm... I'm sure in knoppix, you can right-click on the desktop and choose to set up wireless internet. However, the drivers may not be available for linux (lazy bumbs). In such a case, you can use the ndiswrapper.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/

That might help you configure the wireless card and such IF you can find the windows drivers for it. Good luck with this!

yes, i wish i knew about ndiswrapper earlier. I just don't know if it does a fast enough job at emulating the windows driver so that there is no loss in performance. Wireless is the only thing keeping me from converting to 100% linux. and amezis, if you meant if there was a manual for ndiswrapper...there are like 10 that are the only links on that site. if you meant a manual to his linux distributions, usually distros only have manuals for installation. not network specific information.