xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Chez

College Credit Load do I have ADD? :)

Anyone else ever take an 18-credit load in college? Even a 17? Just took my first "crammer-semester," as my friends affectionately call it, last fall.... the results were not pretty to say the least. Let's just say the pattern of working hard from day 1 to day 40ish and then gradually declining from that point until the week before finals appears far too often for me. Seems normal college behavior (unless you're a work/study-aholic), more than half the campus does the same thing, but it just feels a bit ADD to me. Gotta start popping Ritzee's I guess, lol.But one thing bothers me... I was smart in high school... I mean like unbeliveably, no-studying, not even cracking the book, homework was like nothing.... WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED!?*sigh*Suppose it doesn't help I'm working a 20-hour/week job about 5 miles off-campus during evenings/nights. Basically, that 17-credit load was 8am-5pm (some breaks during those hours for quick breaks) and then work from 5:30 to 10pm+. Lovely huh? I also worked saturdays from 4pm - 11pm. That leaves Sunday free. But by that time, I'm running of 5 hours of sleep and I wake at 3pm. All this while balancing a double major. :) Anyone have this problem? Anyone have solutions? I guess it's all in studying/organization habits (which I am NOT good at apparently). But I did take the initiative and bought a small wooden filing cabinet and hanging folders, plus a whiteboard. yay :PI guess this is turning into a rant, but I figured a little history and info would be more appropriate than "I CAN'T TAKE IT!!!!!!! WHAT DO I DO????"

(Haha.. I've tried to reply to this a million times, I keep getting distracted XD)I am actually taking 18 credit-hours this semester.. as I have for the 3 semesters previous (17-19). Between that and a full-time job (so I can pay my rent and not, you know.. starve to death).. it really is quite a hassle XD;;I dont really have any solutions.. you just kind of wade through it. I figure I had lots of fun in highschool, and I'll have more fun when I graduate.. so I can buckle down and 'waste' a couple years with studying.Sometimes you just have to take a day off, though.. get a day off work/school and sit around and do nothing all day..... Then return the next day and bomb your math test because you neglected to study XD;;;;; (Your results may vary :()

I took 17 hours last semester, and started this semester with 17 hours again. I was nervous to start a semester with that kind of work load, but if I just never slept then it worked out fine. :)No, really, I ended up actually doing very well. Granted, it was my first semester in college so my classes were probably a lot easier than my classes will be as I get further and further into my degrees (I'm also attempting a double major). I don't know, I guess prioritizing and knowing when to take a breather, and when to just buckle down and work on something. Like today is more of a breather day. :) But, try not to have two in a row... because then it'll be a habit and you'll bomb your math test like Togi said. I don't think I'm being very helpful. I also didn't have a job last semester, so that probably helped. Though, I did just get a job this semester (14 hours a week) so maybe I'll completely lose it by the end of the semester like it looks like you did/have.I keep telling myself that I just need to get through the next 4 years or so and then I'll finally be able to "relax."You can do it! :P

I once took 21 credits with a job. I know my grades weren't as good as they could be if I had only taken 15. The only way to get through it is to give up your social life. Let your friends be disappointed in your lack of appearances for the semester. The only human interaction should be with your classmates or study groups. Another thing to consider is to increase the amount of money you are taking out in loans so you don't need to work so much. Although it might seem like a bunch of money now, if you're going to have a double major, then you'll clearly be very marketable in the job world and will probably end up with a good salary where your previous loans will appear more like pocket change.Remember this experience well. When you are eventually job hunting for your profession, the recruiters will probably ask about these times of adversity during the interview. They may want to know why there was a dip in your grades, or about a time when you had too much on your plate. Your responses will make or break you.

i wish i could take an 18 credit load x.x lol yea i must sound crazy but my parents don't allow me to work so i really have nothing else to do >.> i have 15 credit hours right now but eh its just i guess easy? that and the college i'm going to at the moment only allows you to take 16 credit hours max! lol i can't wait till i transfer to a University x-x then the fun really begins! :) well that and i'm transfering into Med School. I'm at a Local college at the moment to get my pre requisites done (plus its cheaper at a local college :) ) so one more year and i get to transfer! woo hoo! O.o; i still have to pick which med school i want to go to x-x and i hope i get accepted x.x because i have to take an entrance exam and its really hard to get into medschools D:

Well, I took an 18-credit load last semester. I didn't organize myself very well and ended up failing one of my classes (a math class, which is sad, cause I never even needed to study for math in highschool, and I got through AP Calc with something like an A-). Anyways, that messed up my prerequisites for this semester, so now I'm only taking 19 credits. If I hadn't failed that class I'd be doing 22. (These are the suggest loads too, my school is crazy).

I'm going into Computer Engineering and according to my counselor, I have to take 18 units a semester if I want to graduate within 4 years. Most engineers at my college opt to become super seniors (5th year) and only take 15 units a semester.My advice is more for next year, but try to take a course in the summer at a local community college or an online course from your actual college. That will lighten your load a little bit. In addition, try to work two jobs during the summer and winter, so that you can work less during the school year.Good luck!

I'm going into Computer Engineering and according to my counselor, I have to take 18 units a semester if I want to graduate within 4 years. Most engineers at my college opt to become super seniors (5th year) and only take 15 units a semester.
My advice is more for next year, but try to take a course in the summer at a local community college or an online course from your actual college. That will lighten your load a little bit. In addition, try to work two jobs during the summer and winter, so that you can work less during the school year.

Good luck!

I should add that I begin college this Fall, so you might not want to regard my advice with much authority. It's just what I have been trying to do this summer, so that I won't kill myself in college. Sorry for any confusion