xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bucksta

Complete Browser Guide Your source for choosing a browser

This is my first browser guide. I am listing some of the most popular browsers and their us and downs. This is made for you to choose the RIGHT browser. I want to first start off with Internet Explorer.

Internet Explorer

Pros

Fully Microsoft Approved

Comes with all Windows Versions

Active X

Java

Most accelerators work on it

#1 on the browser ranks

Supports most toolbars

Cons

Bad security

NO TABBED BROWSING

No skin support

Less Featured interface

Mozilla Firefox (1.5)

• Pros

Skin support

Tabbed browsing

Improved security

Poup-Up Blcoker included

Faster brosing

Good ranking

Only 5MB to download

LOTS OF PLUGINS

Cons

No Active X support*

Memory hog (Uses too much memory)**

Opera

Pros

Full-Featured

Tabbed browsing

Really fast

Optimized for windows

Mail

IRC chat

Notes feature

Pup-Up Blocker included

Mouse gestures

3MB DOWNLOAD!!

You which browser I use!!

Cons

No Active X support*

Uses too much memory**

Netscape

Pros

Fast browsing

Skin support

Pop-Up Blocker

Old versions same as Opera

Tabbed Browsing

Cons

Less security features than Opera

No Active X support*

Mozilla 1.7

Pros

Tabbed browsing

IRC chat

Mail

Pop-Up Blocker

Fast browsing

12MB to download (For Windows)

Skin support

Cons

Less security then Opera

Less skins (Good ones)

I used to use Mozilla.

Well, this is it for now. I will be updating this in the future. This is all I could think of and I wrote it at 12AM, so if you have any suggestions, post.

I guess Internet Explorer uses much more memory when Firefox and Opera.. As the current IE don't use tabs, the sum of memory used in multiple windows can be even more than the money Firefox and Opera use..Additional point : Opera includes RSS reader too, Firefox doesn't have this feature..

Opera does not use too much memory. Also, in Opera you can drag tabs into a toolbar, making like a bookmark button. You can also download a voice pack and have Opera read highlighted text.

Firefox doesn't have this feature..

219024[/snapback]

but there are extensions available for the purpose in firefox. :P i use SAGE. there's also google reader, an online service but not a browser add-on (just worth mentioning :)).

No Active X support*

Well to be honest..this is a good feature of the browsers which are not having this!
The reason is that most of the spywares get installed because of this active X only!

No Active X support*

Well to be honest..this is a good feature of the browsers which are not having this!

The reason is that most of the spywares get installed because of this active X only!

219058[/snapback]

That really true, I don't know any useful function of these "ActiveX" controls.

I think they are also invented by microsoft, which is not so ... erm... you know :)

yeah. thats a good point. i got 6 hosting credits for that post. useful though. i said opera sucks out memory cause when i had 256MB, it kept freezing on forum sites and on other big sites like IGN.

One good point about Opera is how quick and easy it is to search. For example, typing "g trap 17" in the address bar will run a Google search on Trap 17. There are others as well (the letters in brackets are the prefix) such as Amazon (z), eBay (e) and Google Groups ®. Also, the prefix "f" allows you to search within the page, similar to clicking Edit, Find. The Zoom feature is also quite useful, allowing you to zoom in or out if webmasters are using over/under-sized fonts or images.

we all love opera. this browser is the best. i got it as soon as i got my memory upgrade and im still using it (the first time im using a browser other that IE for a long time).