xisto Community
tdktank59

Dancing Robots Sonys new robots

http://www.screenjunkies.com/

click on this link to watch the video!

dont know if the code will work if not search Dancing Robots on http://www.screenjunkies.com/ its the first link on the page

thats pretty cool look at the movements they are flush lol no jolting or anything looks like human movements lol pretty sweet stuff

Notice from mayank:
Fixed the wrong code..please dont try to embed flash...it is not possible in this forum

Edited by mayank (see edit history)

well it seems to me that you are trying to embed flash file over here...well that is not possible in this board...secondly you should have reported this by using the report button..anyways..fixed it!

Pretty sweet video.  The movements of the robots is increadibly fluid, and not jerky like I expected to see.  Woulda liked to see them do the Hustle or the Macarena or something though.

218582[/snapback]

Yeah lol

that would be sweet but heh this was over in japan so what do you suspect?

btw mayank im sorry about not reporting i didnt notice that button there.

I also closed the browser after i posted i didnt look at if it worked sry about that.

Very interesting video. The robots dance very fluid. Also, due to being robots, they are all perfectly in synce with one another.I do have one thing I'm wondering about this though. Do you think that they dance to the music with listening censors and dance corresponding to that? Or do they pre-program a dance and then have them act it out at a certain time? Or maybe they just pre-program a dance and then they act them out when they first hear the music...

It's not what it seems. The robots obviously knew what was coming before the music even started. They could have responded to a voice command, a motion command, or even a remote/bluetooth command, but the sequence is obviously pre-coded. I have seen other movies of these robots appearing to hold an intelligent conversation with some Japanese children (in Japanese, of course - subtitles were provided), complete with realistic voices (not the monotone Stephen Hawking-voicebox-like stuff). The conversation either had to be pre-programmed, or was being supplied on the fly via some kind of remote. There is no way that robotics could go from being almost nonexistant of artificial intelligence, to having TOY robots that can dance, speak, and do most anything else a child could do on it's own. The most advanced robotics labs still haven't got further than a robotic head that can communicate and, at least partially, think on it's own (more specifically, it plays out certain needs and drives that it has), and just that robotic head needs a few computers to work - let alone having all the bodily functions, as well as the processing and such, all cramped inside the space of a little toy robot. Other "robots" are just animatronic (meaning they look and act like they are intelligent, but they are just very detailed sculptures with preprogrammed movements) and are mostly made for movie special effects, as is the case with the Phillip K. *BLEEP* Ressurected Project.

When one does not understand how something works, one tends to expect a complicated and overly-superior function than that which it really has.

By the way, if you are interested in reading more about android head projects, check out this website.

Notice from jlhaslip:

Edit to include the last line as requested

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

lol dude its sony... they made the psp and *BLEEP*... look at how big ipods are now they are fing skinny... its scary... next thing we know we will have an inplant ipod that holds 300 gigs thats the size of a atom... its called science it just happens that japan does not spend its money on there army as much as we do so they have more to go towards buissnesses and so on better funds = better inventions... it could also be a learning robot... it has the capacity to listen and learn from it... but heh w/e i dont know much about this ill post later when i have more time and after i reserach this topic a bit more than i did before

Yay we can get boogie on down with a robot. lol. I've seen this on tv before. I thought it was pretty cool. But they played Japanese music. I thought they would so some kind of techno robot type music. Dissappointed but i still think they're cool. I know theres a robot that you can put ipod in and they dance and pump music to it. Its a dog type robot with blinking colored lights. oh well. i wonder what else can they do besides dance?

hehe, this is exually kinda funny, but is it really new technology?cause this is kinda easy to make right?

So Beck has hired these little guys for his latest video for Hell Yes. They are called QRIO and sony is producing them as toys to relase in 4 years or someithng. You can check iout the video at Beck.com, just go to the videos section.

Sony also has an article about it Here
They do a very similar dance routine, but it didn't look like the same routine to me.

As for them not being new technology, I really think that they are quite an advancement from any biped robot that I have seen. Both in terms of their ablilty to move smoothly and walk, and also their ability to accurately imitate human movements and dance. And I'm sure that since there are only 4 in the world that they were not easy to make.

lol dude its sony... they made the psp and *BLEEP*

So? The PSP is nice, but it's hardly a breakthrough in technology.

look at how big ipods are now they are fing skinny

iPods are by Apple - not Sony.

its scary... next thing we know we will have an inplant ipod that holds 300 gigs thats the size of a atom...

Forgive me for being frank, but that's stupid. You obviously don't understand much about physics. There will never be devices that small. There are no material properties in particles smaller than a molecule. Besides, it takes matter to store the energy necessary to retain information, and noone would be able to use anything that small. I know you were overstating it, but you did so to the point that you look very, very foolish.

its called science it just happens that japan does not spend its money on there army as much as we do so they have more to go towards buissnesses and so on better funds = better inventions

Uh, no. The government funds the army in the United States - not businesses. Businesses are funded by the people, who are looking to make a profit, thus is the reason that useful things are invented.

it could also be a learning robot... it has the capacity to listen and learn from it...

That's my whole point. There wouldn't be that many robotics breakthroughs in one device. Especially not one cheap enough to sell for a profit. Each major feature (true artificial intelligence, the ability to learn, the ability to really dance, the ability to really speak) would be invented at different times, and each would get huge media coverage. Instead, the coverage is just about one TOY that combines all the features into one. Thus, the features can't be all they appear to be.

but heh w/e i dont know much about this

That is apparent.

after i reserach this topic a bit more than i did before

It's not too hard to beat no research.

As for them not being new technology, I really think that they are quite an advancement from any biped robot that I have seen. Both in terms of their ablilty to move smoothly and walk, and also their ability to accurately imitate human movements and dance. And I'm sure that since there are only 4 in the world that they were not easy to make.

Yes, they are the first robot that is able to stand on one leg.
But who says that there are only 4 in the world? Just because only four were dancing at the press conference doesn't mean that they are all that exist. If Japan plans to sell these things as toys, they have got to be cheap enough that they can afford to make more than just two.

Yeah, except they are not intelligent, they don't have weapons (and can't hold any), and have no reason to take over the world. There will be enough people who would see robots, assuming they wanted to take over, as equals and treat them as so that not all robots would rebel, feeling they were being enslaved.Besides, all it takes is an EMP bomb to get rid of them.

But who says that there are only 4 in the world? Just because only four were dancing at the press conference doesn't mean that they are all that exist. If Japan plans to sell these things as toys, they have got to be cheap enough that they can afford to make more than just two.

I thought that the MTV article said that they are the only 4 of their kind. As I read it again it doesn't say expressly that they are the only 4, it just says

worlds only dream robots.