xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
EJay

Gnome Nautalus File Management Hiding Folders I cant see any folders terminal makes

Whenever I unzip a folder from terminal using tar -zxvf, it wont show the folder onto the Desktop. Ive tried almost everything from rebooting the computer to trying to unhide the folder, will someone help me?

Whenever I unzip a folder from terminal using tar -zxvf, it wont show the folder onto the Desktop. Ive tried almost everything from rebooting the computer to trying to unhide the folder, will someone help me?

218299[/snapback]

It depends in which directory you are when doing that. For example, if there is

user@compurername:~$

it means that it unzips it to your home directory.

But I don't know, why you want to use tar to extract (unless you don't have any GUI running), because there is more easier way to do it: file-roller (for gnome, but it woks with KDE also), and it can do it.

Did you put that *.tar file on your desktop in the firstplace or is it at a difrent location like ~/downloads (~ stands for home folder). When you are sure it should be on your desktop it could be that it is a hidden-file in nautales you can unhide it by clicking hitting "ctrl+h" or in a terminal with "ls -a ~/Desktop"But I have the feeling you did set it to another location.