xisto Community
realthor

Windows Xp Question

Can you point me some info or some tips on getting a windowsXP instalation as slim as possible?[without the maaaaany services you'll never run and apps you don't need and so on- perhaps there's a automated tool to squeeze a windows installed or not].10x, thor

Using Windows XP original installation would not give you that option since Microsoft want nothing to go wrong during an installation performed by an average user. Therefore, everything and anything gets installed to prevent from Windows itself crashing. Once fully installed, you can adjust by uninstalling Windows component and adjusting registry manually to remove some components from loading in the first place. Then, you have to manually seek out and delete those programs to harvest the disc space...

But, if you are sure you want the bare minimum Windows OS check this site http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html and use their tools.

I personally don't mind Windows loading all other non-essential components loading at the start-up. And I turn manually off of those services, such as messaging service (one way that hackers and spammers use to spam your computer across LAN and WAN) off, by accessing Administrative component services, Uninstalling Windows Components (after SP1 update) and editing my msconfig.

Yes i know many of those and i did some more but it is so time consuming i would just want to hack windows with nlite than after install run a script that does all those Registry configuration and writes access rules and so on.It took me some hours to tweak such keys and services and i would still like to reinstall windows but if there's no such app then it'll better stay the way it is.

Actually you can manually remove unwanted software on windows after installing Xp. Goto add/remove programs and click Add/remove windows components! Then you can get rid of all the unessential junk! :ph34r: Also if You want to speed up Xp i suggest you try Tweak Xp It really works and has som ereally cool tools as well! Including hardware teaws and internetteaws as well as folder locking file shreading and lot more!! :blink:

Thanks for the tweak XP tip but about add/remove programs haha you never read the whole thread -you should next time otherwise i'll be tempted to believe you posted just for the credits;)- i did much more than that, i did almost any possible tweak i've found on internet and those suggested above in the posts and worked in registry and system services and so on. But the frst tip is interesting as long as it is freeware couse i don't wanna spend more money on my windows. It anyway sucks pretty much:)Cheers!