xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
DreamCore

What Is A Black Hole?

All around the universe there are "black holes". It is not possible to see a black hole, but its gravitational power is so great that it "gobbles" up anything in its way. A star does not live for ever. It develops over thousands of million of years. The temperature gets higher and higher over the years and when it is hot enough a nuclear reaction starts. The star then starts to swell and becomes what is called a "supergiant". Then two diffrent things happen. If it is a small star it begins to expand and contract over and over again, and, finally, when the star has no more energy, it turns into a white dwarf. If, on the other hand, it is a big star it explodes into a supernova which later becomes a black hole. An object that is drawn into a black hole is lost forever. Noone knows what happens to it or where it goes.

LOL i heard about that on a programme called Black Hole High. There is a black hole *hence the name of the school* in the school and these science nerds are trying to find ut how it got there, who is in control of it and why it was there instead of in the sky or space. It was a cool programme and it helped my with my science.

All around the universe there are "black holes".  It is not possible to see a black hole, but its gravitational power is so great that it "gobbles" up anything in its way. A star does not live for ever. It develops over thousands of million of years. The temperature gets higher and higher over the years and when it is hot enough a nuclear reaction starts. The star then starts to swell and becomes what is called a "supergiant". Then two diffrent things happen. If it is a small star it begins to expand and contract over and over again, and, finally, when the star has no more energy, it turns into a white dwarf. If, on the other hand, it is a big star it explodes into a supernova which later becomes a black hole. An object that is drawn into a black hole is lost forever. Noone knows what happens to it or where it goes.

217909[/snapback]

i once heard from a forum that black holes are formed where god divides by zero. :D

i dunno though, since i believe in the flying spaghetti monster..

oh, what do you think happens when two black holes try to suck each other up? they neutralize each other?

What i was thinking is that a black hole...is just a gravitational pull ..so basically..whatever it "sucks up"..would just get carryed around in it..abit like a hurricane or somthng ...but if there is somthing beyond that..like to another dimention (wow)..lol it could be intresting..cus it could basically be a rip in the space continium thingy majicker that people keep talking about :D.have there actually been a supernova recorded ? have they got out that far to see other stars etc ? lol because it does confuse me how they know things like this..or like how they know what they look like (from looking at the pictures).

ehh. isn't the black hole created when two stars collided? ... correct me if i'm wrong. Lol. but there are theories that say, the black hole might be the key for time travel (i doubt that this is true). The reason behind is because the massive gravaity is strong that it can even to bend time. Like the specail relativity theory created by the greatest physictist, Einstein. Time isn't constant. So when you're up higher in elevation (where there are less gravaity), time will actually move faster. So, if you ever get sucked in by a black hole (assume that light could escape and people could see you getting sucked in) to them, the process of you being sucked in by the black hole might take a few hours or days, or even years. That is because the black hole extremely slow down time. And to the observers, their time are moving faster. Even though you might not feel as time is any slower for you, you might die just in a few nano seconds, but to observers.. it will take days. We might never know the truth about it, black hole is just another theory like all the other theories... it cannot be 100% proven because it cannot be seen... impossible to be seen. Well, what i learnt from chimistry this year is that, supernova is a sun exploding. Why is the sun going to explode? It is because, a fussion reaction is occuring right now at this minute in our sun. It combines hydrogen atoms (or whatever.. can't remember, but hydrogen atoms are the basic) to form harder, denser elements. Like iron and other type of metal, or even harder. During the reaction, some mass will be lost, but then the lost mass was released in form of energy (e=mc^2). After the sun get to a certain point where it has nothign left to create a fussion reaction. It will burn out and explode. Then after that, it will type probably billions of years to get all the ingredients need to form another soon again. The sun is like a huge nuclear reactor =P.Well.... lol. sorry about the messy explaination. I'm too lazy to read it again. lol.. And remember, i could be wrong.. i'm 15 after all =P.

i've watched it on tv (i think it was on discovery since it was a long time ago) before. they said that anything that is sucked into the hole gets flattened. they theorized that it goes into another realm or something, realm full of nothing.black holes don't usually result from colliding stars. and i haven't heard of one before.

Well due to the techniquality of explaining everything I suggest you all take a look at the following websites to give you a better understanding of what a black hole is.

Black hole

Stellar black Hole

Mass

Solar Mass

Gravity

Worm Holes

with these links all the information you need is in here. But i can add my insight to what i know. Basically a black hole is the heaviest object in the known universe meaning all objects will get crush (man made) or torn apart (stars planets and other stuff) and be erased from exsistance. But some people believe in worm holes (it moves from end to another at a high rate of speed), meaning that anything caught in a black hole will be transported somewhere else. But due to the fact that the mass of a black hole is so great that light cannot escape and light travels pretty fast as wel. Many black hole do exsist it just had to find them using using your eyes, so that where radio signals and other neat trick are used to see how big a black hole is.

Some believe that it is some big object well it can be as small as a head of needle and still suck in light. but the gravity can encrease as time goes by and most likly suck up a planet as well.

But its all theory do what man knows about the time, gravity, outer space and other stuff.

I have been told that if you could somehow travel through a black hole and live that you come out in a white hole I believe that is on the other side of the universe or somewhere far out there. I think it takes hundreds of years but it does indeed take you somewhere. Now I am not sure if this is true and we may never know unless we send somthing into one and in a couple hundred years see if it comes out anywhere. I would think you could see black holes if you see stars and light start flying into nothing. Then you would probably know that something like a black hole is there.

Black holes have always been a tough kind of topic, of which I haven't ever understood or known the answer to. They're very interesting in my opinion, but I don't much fancy the Earth rolling over a hole, and being sucked in forever, without knowing what would happen to human life. It would be great to find out more from a scientist's perspective.Thanks for sharing that with us, I missed that television program though unfortunately, will look out for a repeat. IF anyone else knows any good things regarding this topic, feel free to share, I love reading and viewing space info! :D

black holes are interesting. i have seen on tv some theories. i forgot all of them but i can say that a black hole is an object that just can't be scientifically accurately explained. i always did want to be sucked through a black hole if i wanted to go suiceide..

Ok i had to do a scince report and i did it on black holes lets see waht i can rember without having to quote sites lol!!!

so pretty much a black hole is a super high gravity "thing" it sucks anything close to it into itself and it is thought that it rips it apart. Thus why we cant reach the speed of light...

but the wonder is how does it reach this gravity since it must have a mass less than light which happens to be 0.

But light is sucked into a black hole thus making it invisible to the naked eye.

which means we can not directly observe it but we can however indirectly observe it using effect on nearby objects such as dust clouds and such. we can also see by radiation and the bending of light

heres a few immages:

a52.g.akamaitech.net/f/52/827/1d/wwack_hole_01.jpg

celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/les_1__Cham.jpg

keck.hawaii.edu/news/science/bar_simonnet.jpg

Black holes form from dead stars.

they star burns out all of its fuel and explodes into a super nova (very powerfull explosion). then it forms a thing called a neutron star. or a black hole it will become a black hole if its gravity is greater than a certian point.

the way the black hole forms is the gravity compresses the mass into a ball or something and is super compressed and weighs alot (we dont know this for sure but iusing other information about neutron stars which a table spoon of that weighs like 20000 tons or something massive) but pretty much is compressed and has a super gravity pull...

heres a sizing lol

our earth if it were to be compressed enough to become a black hole would be the size of the small marbles from the game of marbles...

our sun happens to be really small (suns are also stars) compared to most "suns" out there... so we will have a white dwarve of a neutron star form in 500 billion years or something like that long lol... but pretty much it has to be a huge star. to make a black hole...

heres some articles for further reading:

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/research/gr/public/bh_home.html

http://cosmology.berkeley.edu/Education/BHfaq.html

http://apod.nasa.gov/htmltest/rjn_bht.html

http://archive.ncsa.illinois.edu/Cyberia/NumRel/BlackHoles.html

csep10.phys.utk.edu/guidry/violence/blackholes.html

heres where i got these all https://www.google.com/search?q=black%20holial&sa=N&tab=iw

note to mods/admins

i did a report on this so i am quoting my own work here i cannot prove this because i have lost the paper but this is from memory i just went and grabed some links at the end once i started rambeling on so i stoped but yeah this is my work not stuff i copied from a website. (note i did copy from the website while reaserching this back in the 8th grade im in 10th now....)

Black holes are interesting, but they are also scary. I don't think that a black hole is actually a "hole" because it's not logical to have some "path to another universe" or anything. It is probably a large planet that, like everyone said, has a gravitational effect on the lights surrounding it, hence making it dark. If you were sucked by a black hole (and is still in one piece) you would probably die of impact to a hard surface, not another universe or something like that.

Ok there is hypathetical talk about black holes as such wormholes to another place/time/dimension we dont know really...

The closest blackhole that we can observe is too far away to matter its effect on us. Our sun will not turn into a black hole when it dies off it will become a white dwarf or a neutron star after the supernova (if you saw fantastic 4 they have one good quote from it

SuperNova is Bad

well thats true lol it is very bad very hot and stuff... pretty mcuh death to all!!!
http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/Images/icons/adv_snr.gif

theres a image of a supernova
note: left one is after right one is before

There are sci fiction stories where they get close enough to a black hole that time itsself is streched to a vast amount. where a pod of something goes into the hole and a space ship is outside of it. to the person inside it'll be lets say 10 mins to travel from one end to anohter (if there was a end) but to the space ship out side itll be 10 years or so the black hole has that much of a time strech.

But knowing the facts and nature of a black hole and it sucking light in ur screwed if u got into one becuase well light has no mas and its sucked and ripped apart (thats y bh are invisible) in so you hve a mass so you will be more violently riped apart than light. so really those 10 mins of travel for the dude will be 10 mins of extreme pain where is body is streched out untill the atoms are pulled apart which means that the space ship (if radio contact was kept) would hear 10 years of this dude screaming in pain while hes being ripped apart inside of the hole.

It is imposible at this point in time to know what actually happens in a blackhole.

are they power sources for technologicaly advanced species out there? or are they natural commings and goings? who knows

go to http://www.nasa.gov/ and type in the seach waht ever you wish to know.
You can trust nasa to have the truth becasue they are the goverment and they dont normaly lie about this type of space stuff....