xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
CrazyRob

Red Hat For Dell Poweredge Server Where Can I Find it?

RedHat is probably one of the Linux distributions that is not free..

It's a paid operating system and require licenses like Microsoft.

You can purchase the download here :

https://access.redhat.com/downloads/

217867[/snapback]

thanks i got it now and have installed it but ik never new you had to have a licence for it because wasnt linix always open scource?

Yes Linux is always open-sourced and free for download. But because these few people came to form RedHat company and put alot of effort in development, enhancing, troubleshooting and maintaining RedHat, they've decided to charge users for a fee to use their operating system. It's the kernel in RedHat that is free, which they got from the free community. But it's the effort that they put in that they decided to charge.Besides RedHat, Linspire and Mandrake are also other Linux distributions that charge for usage. Mandrake however only charge it's subscribers for releasing the latest versions to them first before releasing into the public afew months later for free.

on one of my other servers i have installed ubauntu linux and i personmally think that its better than red hat linux because its faster and takes up leass space!!

It depends on the user's preferences.. For me, I prefer Linspire because it resembles well to Windows interface. It's also much sleekier for a Linux GUI as well.. Linspire includes a wizard-like installation procedure just like Windows, so you wouldn't have to type in commands to install a product like other Linux distributions.. :)