xisto Community
thewebber1988

Google Earth Actually Shows The Real Thing. Microsoft Earth Does Not Show Everything

Download the two programs Google Earth and the Microsoft Version (I couldn't find what they name it :D )If you have a look at the Macintosh Headquarters in America on Google you will see that the building is there but if you try to find it on the Microsoft version you will not have much luck as they have covered it over with a field.The same is for Area 51. On the version that I saw Micosoft Covers It Up with Teal Boxes but Google once again shows all.The third thing that I have noticed is that Google Earth shows all the Military Bases around the world but the Microsoft one covers them up.I'll try and find examples for this, I haven't used the programs in a while.

What do you mean the real thing? I think you mean more updated version. How cool would it be if it were live. :D You can see car's moving, buildings being demolished, etc.

I'm still not sure what your point is, is it that Google Earth is better because it doesn't censor potential 'targets' excluding macintosh (obviously). It does seam abit odd that Microsoft would censor places by just putting something else over it, or is your point that Google should also censor sensitive areas? Anyway thanks for bringing this up, I'd check it out if I doidn't have super slow dial up.

I'm still not sure what your point is, is it that Google Earth is better because it doesn't censor potential 'targets' excluding macintosh (obviously). It does seam abit odd that Microsoft would censor places by just putting something else over it, or is your point that  Google should also censor sensitive areas? Anyway thanks for bringing this up, I'd check it out if I doidn't have super slow dial up.

217912[/snapback]

I don't really see the pronblem here. Just 'cos Microsoft thinks hiding military bases is a good idea, doesn't really mean anything. Although Google Earth is going to get much more popularity now they know they have a better map...

And your point about Super-slow dialup... we all feel that way. Dialup is so stupid!

I'm in support of M$ for the first time here. I don't think its right to expose secure areas to the public. It might get into the wrong hands and who knows what they might do with it. At the same time Google is hiding some of the military bases from countrie like US.

I saw Area 51 very clearly last night. Google Earth has much newer images, so as you would expect you see much more. I haven't treid looking up Area 51 on Microsoft's sites (MSN, Windows live Local, etc) but I'm sure that those areas are garbage on the MS sites, especially since they have plain old black and white photos.

the cool thing about the microsoft one, though, is they seem to zoom in much closer to places. I found the house I grew up in and could see things in the front yard. I also noticed that my grandmother needed to clean her pool.

Google Earth is exactly what it sounds like. It lets you roam around the Earth searching areas you want to see, you can see parts of France and what not. You can search or just scroll around while zooming in. I believe you can get directions as well to these places from any place.

That's probably an off-topic question, but it is a satelite image viewer. You can see pretty clear pictures of most neighborhoods, as well as various sightseeing places. You can download it for free, but you need Windows 2000 or XP and a broadband connection to use it (it downloads a ton of images; and by the time you start adding all the layers such as streets, buildings, etc. you have downloaded around 50 MB in just one run of the program).

well ive only uses Google earth and i think its fantastic and yes it would be awsome if it was live but 3 problems would be is:1:A load of lagging2:ilegle [sorry is i spelled it wrong]3:Provoking peoples privacy