xisto Community
kvarnerexpress

Ntldr Is Missing

So basically tonight I got the ingenius idea of trying to "delete" Ubuntu (Linux) from my computer, so I figured I'd delete the partition that I created when I set up the dual boot on my laptop. So after ****ing around with the partition manager, I decided to restart my computer. Bad idea. Now when I turn on my laptop, the first thing I see is "NTLDR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" and only that.I don't have my Windows XP disc or anything like that, so I really don't know what to do. Help?

If the windows XP is still installed then you will need to restore the boot manager, you can try GAG, a graphical boot manager, it won't restore it rather replace it but should do the trick

http://gag.sourceforge.net/

NOTE: messing with the boot manger can cause unfixable problems with your HDD, and should not be done lightly. I can't be held responsible for any problems caused by the above information

Last time I was playing with my boot sequence and I also had this problem. There wasn't much alternatives to solve this problem so I went to reformat my computer. I prefer reformating because it is more direct way of solving this problem.

However if you do not want to reformat, I suggest you to refer to these articles :
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm
http://www.tburke.net/info/ntldr/ntldr_hacking_guide.htm
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/318728

can you use command console of windows?

i can give you some instant and useful methods as follows:

1.insert your 2000/xp setup CD into cd-rom to go into recovery console

2.after that,you would arrived at the dos mode(assume that your system located in C: and cd-rom is H:)

3.type: copy h:\\i386\\ntldr c:\\ (to copy ntldr from cd to C:)

4.type: copy h:\\i386\\ntdetect.com c:\\ (to copy ntdetect.com form cd to C:);then if there appear a seletion,chose "Y";

5.that'ok and type c:\\Boot.ini[/blue] to check the boot file

6.reboot

good luck!

I have gotten this for having an external harddrive attached while I reboot my computer. I have no idea what it is, or why it has anything to do with it. But, try unplugging all your USB devices and see if that helps. :D

you need to repair you master boot record (mbr).boot from your xp installation disc.press R to repair.at the command prompt type fixmbr to overwrite the maste boot record.you can also try fixboot from the command prompt to replace the hdd boot sector.i had similar problems when i installed suse9.1 on my laptop , none of the above worked i had to format and reinstall windows. even then i still had the ntldr problem , but i could reinstall suse9.1 and boot into that without any problems.it was only when i went into the bios and changed the hdd bootup settings from auto to lba that i managed to get my hdd to boot again into xp.

Replying to Hellmonkeys YES! Make sure you check that. I have ubuntu and windows on my computer. Since I just installed both I am taking turns installing and fixing stuff so they can run better. After installing drivers off an external hard drive in windows I go to restart and whats this? "NTLDR is missing." I have no idea. I read this thread, consider formatting my hard drive. Then I realize that I have my external HD plugged in still.I unplugged my external HD and the problem was solved. So try that. -reply by TheMaxExp

you can try GAG, a graphical boot manager

I too lost ntldr, and rather than reformat or muck around with the command line, I just used a copy of GAG that I conveniently had lying around on a CD. <_<Worked very well, and in fact I still have it installed on that computer, (which is my sons), with dual boot ubuntu XP pro.
A better idea would have been to maybe restore the MBR from within windows first, and then using paragon or some such partition tool to del the partition from windows as well.

ntldr file is missingNtldr Is Missing

IN this case what I have learnt to insert the xp cd and reboot your pc when give you option for installation prss enter just do it after that select c and then [select the last option format with no changes] this will only reinstall your windows xp without formating any file it means you will not loss any file or document

Thankyu 

-reply by Saud Albalooshi

hi everyone

I got something like this which make me mad

I got two windows , first one windows xp pro sp2, which installed on C: , the other one is windows xp sp3 installed on D:, as I work on D instaaled one so if something happened to it I got the C as  a backup to repair the last one , but this action cost me too much , last day I instaaled a programme on c: rool back , any way I delete a restor point for this programme from the start , Now I got this massage telling me that BOOT.INI is missing .???

I got windoes xp sp2, and sp3 CD, I try to repair the installation , but when I get to the final step where I usally do to Repair the previouse instaaling , I clould not find "R" which help me a lot , there is only new installing , or exit the setup????

any way I got another hard disk with vista installing , which I work on in now to discover the net.

useally when I connect the original HD of my laptop using USB connection port, I could look at the data on it so I can move whatever I want from my data from that HD, which I did it many time's , but this time it will always asking me to format the HD to be accissable for the system , which is not normal for me as I did that many time's.

Last night I try to repaire the windows installation using RECOVERY Consealet using the cd!

I got to c: drive and typed HELP as informed then there was the files which in drive C: but I have no idea about that list . So I will work on the net to collect information , and if someone have any idea to help me thats will be great , but in the end I will come to you with something if you got none. 

So basically tonight I got the ingenius idea of trying to "delete" Ubuntu (Linux) from my computer, so I figured I'd delete the partition that I created when I set up the dual boot on my laptop. So after ****ing around with the partition manager, I decided to restart my computer. Bad idea. Now when I turn on my laptop, the first thing I see is "NTLDR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" and only that.
I don't have my Windows XP disc or anything like that, so I really don't know what to do. Help?

If you don't have Windows XP disc u need to floppy drive on your computer. Then you can follow the instruction given on this page. It works fine for me. I think it works on you.

If you don't have Windows XP disc u need to floppy drive on your computer. Then you can follow the instruction given on this page. It works fine for me. I think it works on you.

3 years old post is what you are replying to. Hope you look into the date before posting.

my laptop showing LTDR is missing. Press ctrl+alt+DelNtldr Is Missing

In my laptop I installed new version of internet explorer which wasCome automatic while using net.After that when I restart my laptopShowing LTDR is missing. Press ctrl+alt+Del. I have many important files. IDon't want to format it. Is there any solution. Answer please.

-reply by ramesh kumar mahto