xisto Community
Hraefn

Rmvb Conversion Software?

Heya! I'm looking for software to convert RMVB files to either MPEG or VCD format. Preferably freeware, but any functional shareware would do. I've already found a couple (such as Boilsoft's RM converter), but they can't seem to get the job done. Using Boilsoft's converter, for example, there's audio but no video after conversion. I'd really appreciate any help or info you could give. Thanks! =^^=Oh, and Happy New Year! =^^=

I am using Boilsoft's RM converter too, and it works satisfactorily. The Boilsoft's RM converter actually lets you choose which decoder to use to decode the RMVB and you should choose Boilsoft?s built-in codec instead of the RM plug-in that you get when you install real player or real player alternative. The only problem I am having with Boilsoft's RM converter is that the video is not in sync with the audio must of the time and this is causing many troubles during trans-coding. I still haven?t worked out a way out of this trouble and the only alternative that I have is the use Macromedia?s Flash 8 encoder together with real alternative to get some clips in flv, which is quite handy when posting them somewhere online (you know, most hosts ban wmv or avi files). Alternatively, you may extract the video and the audio from the rmvb separately and to mux them later. There is a piece of software called EO Video which can turn rmvb to avi too. You may try if it works. I think the problem you are having may also be related to the rmvb file itself. There are quite a lot of rmvb encoders on the market and some of them do not quite conform to the original rmvb format (say Easy RMVB encoder). This is quite problematic.

Many thanks, T100. I might try EO Video if Boilsoft doesn't pan out. I guess I'll try searching further to fix the sync problem. I did think of extracting the video and audio separately and mixing them, but that seemed like too much work. Well, I'll tinker around a bit and see what turns up.

you might want to consider winavi, I have been using this program for my video converting needs and it is actually good, the interface is simple and user friendly as well, problem though is that it is not free but you can download the trial version to see.

Semi-update: Well, I still haven't had the time to test out the RM converters I've got. In any case, I've found another media converter that might be interesting. eRightSoft has a freeware app called SUPER (short for Simplified Universal Player Encoder & Renderer) which apparently is capable of converting a wide variety of media formats. I haven't had the chance to try it myself yet, but the screenshot does look slick.

Here's the link to their website.