xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Florisjuh

Installing A Phpbb2 Skin Popular forum software

I tried installing a new phpbb2 forum skin on my website for weeks and didnt get it to work, but it's very easy...

1. Upload the skin / template to the templates folder of your phpbb2 directory (eg. public_html/forums/templates), make sure you don't upload the zip archieve or a directory containing the directory where the template is in, the folder you need to upload usually contains a lot of .tpl files an images directory a .css file (or multiple) and if your template contains an admin re-skin an "admin" folder.

NOTE: If you use PHP-Nuke the directory where the forum skin will need to be uploaded is /modules/Forums/templates

2. Go to your forum and log into the administration panel (Log in to your own account and click "Go to Administration Panel" in the footer), at the "Styles Admin" part of the menu you click on "Add", if you have uploaded your template correctly you shoul be able to hit "install" behind the template name.

NOTE: If you use PHP-Nuke the forum administration can be found in the PHP-Nuke administration panel)

Optional: Go to "Configuration" under "General Admin" and set "Default Style" to the template you just installed, this will change the template guests and new users see to the new template. Also, if you "Override User Style" everyone will see the template.

Nice Tutorial...Too bad you didn't have this posted when Kubi wanted my help installing a skin :D Would have saved me some time, well actually it just takes a couple minutes. It really simple. Now all the people who are new to using PHPBB will be able to install a skin.

Really good tutorial once I had an phpBB forum I didn't know how to instal a skin but thanks to your tutorial I'll now know how to doit.. agan big thanks Florisjuh for help.. I now started to make my site and I really needed some great skin :D..P.S. Does anybody know any good site with lots of phpBB forum skins??

Dawiss,You might want to head over to the phpbb.com site and check around over there.Or try phpbbhacks.com for skins. The first site has a forum that you may find helpful. Those sites both include various Mods to the phpbb forums. Another point of interest: phpbb came out with a new version this week: 2.0.19.

all i can say is phpBB sucks!! any other forum software can beat it. especially IPB. but for the owners of phpBB2, that is an interesting way to skin it. i always have considered making a phpBB board just for fun.