xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ikenalleenik

Connection Fails After 2 Mins

hello,i have a braodband connection to telenet here in belgium, and from the time i had reinstalled windows xp pro, my connectuion fails from time to time. when i restart my computer, everything is back ok, for a few minutes. On my other computer , i'm not experiencing thsi problem. Does someone can help me?Michiel

It's hard to tell/say what could be the problem or even discuss possible solution.

But let's go down the list and see where it might go wrong:
Given that computer A is the problem computer, computer B is the no problem computer...
1) how are they connected to internet, via router, hub or switched one at a time
2) how long is the cable running from computer A to router or broadband modem
3) have you tried swaping ethernet cables from each other
4) run a command called PING from computer A. Ping any website such as http://yahoo.com/

ping http://yahoo.com/ -t
and see how long it runs (does it fail after 2 minutes or does it continue to ping?)
5) is the network card driver digitally signed by manufacturer or Microsoft for Windows XP?
6) any issues with Device manager and your network card?
7) have you made your TCP/IP as Obtain IP automatically or manually?

these are just few of the questions you should be answering to see if we can rule out any possible "simple" error(s).

I think i have the same problem as you..i have just learnt do deal with it..does it just stop being online...and your data LED stop flashing ( if you have one , i have one that flashes when information is being taken / sent online)..cus thats what mines does..to fix it i can either restart my pc or i go into my network connections in control panel...find that connection and then disable it and enable it...and it basically brings it back to life...i should mabye get the problem fixed though ..cus its annoying when im downloading a big file..or playing a game.

Hello,i'm connected to the internet through a HUB, both the cables are aprox. 15m long.I've switched the cables but the problem is still there, and the pinging is still going...before i reinstalled windows i never have had such a problem.Thanks

Do you get by any chance annoying windows message in the tray - "IP error has occured within the network" or something like that?Because if yes - I will explain what is happening and what is the solution for this specificc problem.This problem is caused by router that sometimes changes ips of computers withing the network. I'm not sure what causes it to do so, but maybe some errors or crashes. Anyways whats happening is you get two identical ips on the same network, windows is not able to deal with this problem and it shut downs one connection. So, basically you get disconnected. After restart - system reinitializes ips and verything works, untill another error occurs. My solution, which is extremely easy was to change the ip manually to something out of standard range. So, basically you have to configure the ip of your computer "by hands" = not by dynamic system. You can still try to ip config /release and ipconfig /renew it cople of times, but there is no warranty that the error will not come back.

Hello,

i'm connected to the internet through a HUB, both the cables are aprox. 15m long.

I've switched the cables but the problem is still there, and the pinging is still going...

before i reinstalled windows i never have had such a problem.

Thanks

217122[/snapback]

On my information ppack it says not to have anything extension cables longer than 10m other wise it MAY (not definately) cause some problems.

Although...I have the same problem as you but mine is due to the AOL thing...which is when you're not active it logs you off, even if you're on broadband.

You're computer might have spyware? Possible cause. It was for my old computer. I got it fixed but then i got a virus and the whole thing like died.

Check your DHCP settings on your ethernet card.Since you are connecting with a HUB (or switch).Telenet has to open 2 IP adresses for your Cable modem, if not only one computer gets to the internet.A possible solution for this problem is a Router.

You can't switch to manual IP address configuration, because ISP's have limited IP address ranges, and have them assigned to their users automaticly, via DHCP server. If you setup your IP manualy, that would cause a conflict with a user that get's that IP by DHCP server, and both of you would be left without internet. Further more, your ISP could decide to ban you from using their services.Error may be in length of your cables, or indeed, because you are going through a switch. You can't use one modem on two computers at the same time. A solution for this would be to connect your modem, or broadband directly to one computer, and share that connection. Connect that computer to a switch, and the other too, and form a small LAN, with shared connection...I hope I'm clear about this. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask them...p.s. Just a thought... Did you contact your ISP customer support?

what I would do first on this situation would be removing any other PC connected on the hub, this is of course if you have a hub in place for your two computers. Now use the connection directly from your internet service provider to your newly reinstalled computer and see if you will get the same problem.

I'd do what believer had just posted as it tells if the router/hub is giving the problem. If you've tried connecting directly to the internet via the modem and doesn't experience any disconnections, it's definately going to be your router's/hub's configurations or a hardware problem. As of my experience, my laptop is connected wirelessly to my Linksys router and is also getting more disconnections these days. The desktop which connected with physical wire doesn't experienced an disconnections however. The Linksys router's wireless hardware component is somehow failing for mine. If I connect my laptop via wired to my modem directly, I would not experience and disconnections. If I'm connected wirelessly through my Linksys router, I'll experience disconnections while the desktop via wired will not. Hope this will give you a clearer picture of a middle-man hardware problem that could be the cause for your case also.