xisto Community
affhotspot

Run Video And The Game Doom On Any Ipod

if some of you have not heard already, there is a linux for the ipod now. it allows you to a lot more with your ipod. you can play vidoes on any ipod. like the nano. you can even run the first person shooter called iDoom on it. linux does it again, putting commercial technology to shame. whats nice you can swich to the normal apple firmware anytime you want. if you got an ipod try this, its really easy to install. it will actually make your ipod worth for what you paid for it. just go to http://www.ipodlinux.org/
hope this interests some people

I have a feeling that Mac is going to throw a fit over this. They haven't hesitated to start lawsuits with product modders in the past, so I have a feeling that they will be quick to start a fight over the possibility of one using a cheap iPod for video and thus not having to buy the expensive iPod Video. It's not hard to see how it could potentially be considered illegal, or at least be considered bending the law a bit.

Yeah, Mac is the type of company that isn't going to mind taking these people to court. Just like they shut down that site that was trying to put Tiger on a Dell laptop. However, I think I saw something about this on Attack of the Show about a month or 2 ago. My only question is... how the heck are you supposed to control the guy in Doom using the iPod buttons. Seems like it'd be a little to complicated to play and actually enjoy it.

You don't have to worry, Sunny. I'm pretty sure that Mac will come out with some kind of iPod Gamer within a year or so. They may even try to enter the portable gaming war (against the PSP and the Nintendo DS).

thats one thing to pay if your product is really that popular in the market and yes I agree Apple most possibly will handle this one soon. So maybe i about a month we will see that they will be sued.

why would mac throw a fit? once you have bought the ipod, its yours to do whatever the hell you want to do to it. however if you mod it and try to send it in for repairs because of an error in the system, they either wont do it, or they will charge you because it voids the warentee.

I believe this is only for older generation iPods, the first through third generation. The newer ipods, such as the iPod nano and the NEW iPod nano cannot take iPod linux and so far there is no development at all for it. This is because the firmware, the thing you change to install linux, is encrypted on the nano. The first one to have an encrypted firmware.I believe that apple won't have a fit, they'll just continue to encrypt all new ipods, in theory they could also rewrite the firmware for the old ipods and distribute it as an 'update' thus encrypting all older generation ipods and effectively killing ipodlinux.I have seen this product used and it is good, it has many more features than just being able to play video and doom. Also, I heard that it's not ACTUALLY doom, it's just another game skinned to hell to make it look like doom, for most peoples needs it will surfice.It's easy to install if you've done stuff like this before, it's all graphical user interface based stuff and it works fine. Also, if you DO screw yourself over there are several methods of restoring your ipod to it's original state.So by all means if you have an older ipod check it out, but if you have a newer one (like myself) then it's not for you. atleast not yet but like I said, from what I've heard there are no development into deryption nano firmware. Nor will there be soon,

WOW! that looks tres cool,
but... what happened to the site you geve the adress to, it appears to not be accessible by me, as it looks like its not on the net... been taken down because of apple lawyers???
is anyone else able to get on the site http://www.ipodlinux.org/...?

Edited by Jimmy (see edit history)

I see where you are coming from :lol:Just wait a couple of years for the Apple Gaming Consoles. Watch out Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo!

You teach me how to play video and DOOM on my ipod shuffle [without taping a mini tv to it] and I'll give you a million dollars. :lol: