xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
MaverickFang

Standardize Testing Teaching Students, or Hurting Students?

Ask most teachers what one of the things they hate about their job is, and most will reply "Standardize Testing". The "common knowledge" we're supposed to "learn" at school is now just being triginomical algabriac problems. The teachers aren't teaching the students what they need to know, but what the board of directors thinks they need to know. At the end of the day, are you going to climb into your vehicle and look at your gas gage and think. "Well, i have 20 gallons of gas, and my house is 30 miles away. I get roughly 6 mpg (old v8), how much gas would i have left to make it to the gas station to refuel the 35 gallon tank?"I can understand learning these equastions and how to execute them if you werent wanting a degree in egineering, or physics. But in the end, most of us will walk away from college and forgot most of this while we sit behind a computer or calculater that will do it for us.So now the time has come, *BLEEP* this topic with response about your thoughts on standardize testing, or my thoughts about standardized test. As always, please no flaming.

I think I get your point here.I am doing my Computer Engineering Course. It's taking me a lot of time and also caused me year dropouts because managing work and study is not easy. Being a computer Engineering student, I was taught things like Mechanical Engineering, Electrical circuits etc which were of no use for me.But when I m in a group of friends and we are discussing some technical topics, I have used these concepts a lot. When I was mugging these things up, I used to curse the education board of directors.. but then, When I really was using all those theories to explain my thoughts, things started making sense.I do believe that some concepts and topics which are taught to us are totally not related but still, the people who decide the topics of a subjects are really good people who have much more experience than us. They have a better understanding of the life ahead which a student has to face and they plan the syllabus accordingly.

They have a better understanding of the life ahead which a student has to face and they plan the syllabus accordingly.

216510[/snapback]

With no prior knowledge of what we want to do with our life (and yes i know some people change their minds) so they can adjust the way of education accourdingly. Some of it is just set figures. Why do we have to take grammar and edicate classes, if the position we're working in, doesnt require us to take notes legible to other people. Why has a language so simple at the begining turned into such a hard subject at school.

I find learning how to speak spanish (although im only in year two) alot easier than mastering highschool english.

I don't mind standardized testing. This year in Texas they're pushing students to pass the TAKS. Especially in Dallas. They're making teachers take some time out of their class period of things like Physics which you know you can't cover within a whole year in a highschool course. Then they have to add in some TASK preperation. Its just a waste of time. I have passed the TAKS which is Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills. I have always passed TAKS but some people haven't and they're in my class. As a class the teacher has to go over TAks stuff and its just annoying.

Getting a broad spectrum of knowledge has helped me decide what I want to do, and the useless information also helps people know what they do not want to do later on. I think the reason Standardize Testing has taken such a negative oppinion with Americans is the poor quality of the educational system. Standardized Testing is just the wrong approach at the wrong time.Also, I've had weird information become very usefull when dealing with other people where conversation can turn into all kinds of topics. It's made me smarter in any situation by giving me different view points. As a side effect people see you as smart when you have an answer to all small curiosities.

i do not mind standardize testing usually when i felt that i have a great deal time for preparing that.however,in school,because the frequent touching complex society,really we have a little time on those standardize testing...there maybe some more important things to do,of course,not like gossip on internet or busy in a gone game...learning useful knowledge is so important,but school always dont give us very needful knowledge,plus,through text to evaluate student and award or punish which is really a traditional rule in school. :blink: so we cant change angthing,only what we can do is to maste real needed thing by ourself without teacher.

Standardized test in Texas for 11th graders have stupid questions like:If you want to move a hot beaker what would you do?A. use rubber glovesB. tell your lab partner to pick it upC. use the sleeve of your shirtD. blow on it to cool downlol. just stupid thinkgs like that. Or wait. how about.Which of the following would be safe to do during a lab activity? A Running in the classroom B Leaving a water spill on the floor C Touching hot surfaces D Following lab rules come on.. its basically a giveaway. lol. The school districts make us learn TAKS stuff the standardized test in Texas. They spend all the course class just to go over TAKS stuff. Waste of time.

I think that well-written standardized tests are important and the only way for many teachers to know how well they are doing and where their students need the most help. This is particularly important in low-income districts, where the majority of students are well below grade levels and cannot pass these tests. For students who are better off (you guys), it may seem like a joke and a waste of your day, but I bet many people enjoy not having to go to class for a day.Like Opaque said, the people who design the test often have our best interests at heart. There are certain basic things every student should know just for knowledge's sake, not really because you'll use them in your everyday life. Algebra, for example, develops your abstract thinking skill.