xisto Community
andrescasta

List Of Things To Optimize The Memory In A Pc

Hello, i want wo make a list of all the things to optimize the memory in a computer, now i have WinXP and 2 sessions one for gaming and the other for all the other things, so What can i do to gain more memory in the gaming session?1.Reduce all the visual effect of windows.2.Closing 3rd-part software.What more...????Please tell to us your experience.........

1) Shut down auto-protect antivirus and firewall if you are not online2) Shut down MSN, ICQ, skype, and all broswsers if you are not online3) Shut down any media players4) Close applications that does not require for startupLastly, the most effective way..5) Buy new and more RAMs...

Upgrading your memory is probably the easiest way to gain processing power and speed on your computer.I also run Windows XP and I have 1GB of 533MHz memory. I don't have to shut down any programs or processes to play any games, but I do also have a 3.4GHz processor with hyperthreading and a 256MB PCI-X video card, so overall it's a pretty fast and capable computer.It all depends on what the rest of your hardware is like and what software you've got running.

i have a laptop with 512mb that have only 240mb free , this is the maximun amount of free memory that can i obtain?Ok, it's obiusly that adding a new module of ram is the easiest way, but i want to know if without the new module the amount of free memory could be bigger.Thank's

well, if you want to optimize your memory just before playing a game so the game runs faster, I used this brilliant piece of software back when i had Windows 98... it was called WinRam Booster Free Edition. It only works on Win 95/98/ME, but the concept was brilliant: It pushes all non-essential stuff stored in the RAM into the swap file, thereby freeing up the RAM for the next run applications. Do a Google search on "PC Memory Management" (that specific search returns alot of good results) or similar and you may find something interesting. Also it may help to have a look at comprehensive download sites.Also, that second session will use up more memory than one session would. You could save a few MB's by closing one. Also, try rebooting before playing games.Hope something here's helped.Good Luck!

WOO HOO! Finally, someone asking a question I can answer well! Since youre a gamer, I have PLENTY of suggestions for ya. 1. Kill unneccessary start up items: Use Msconfig or the fantastic Autoruns from Sysinternals.com to stop programs from loading automatically at boot. Not only does this speed up the boot, thats a lot less stuff thats constantly eating up resources whether or not you use them.2. Kill unneccessary services: Go to "run..." in the start menu and type "services.msc". This will open a list of 'services' windows uses for common functions, like that annoying error-reporting when something crashes and basic media burning functions, as well as a whole lot of other things. Turning off things you dont need in the services applet will free up TOOOONNNNNSSSS of resources. Error-reporting is useless, so you can disable that. Remote registry is a massive security threat so you can switch that to manual. So on and so forth, there are a great many websites that explain each of these functions and suggest what to disable ( or, preferrably, set to manual ). Be careful though, turning stuff off all willy nilly can make your computer mighty inconvienant. Once youve set all the stuff you dont need to manual, you will see the greatest performance boost you can from making ANY single software adjustment.3. Paging file on its own partition: Placing the paging file on its own partition keeps it from fragmenting your hard drive, as well as keeping it from fragmenting itself ( making it take longer to find data ). Some people will argue that installing your operating system on its own partition ( seperate from the page file AND the partition you intend to use for data ) also helps, and while Ive tried it both ways many times, I havent seen any significant improvement either way. Do it if you want every boost possible, but it can be inconvienant. 4. Defragment your drive: Do this constantly. Do it while you sleep. Do it if youve moved a lot of files around. Do it if youve installed anything thats 1 gig or more. Just freakin do it, because its the most commonly overlooked performance booster there is, and it can take a PC from clunker to... well, less cluttered and slightly faster clunker.5. Remove Viruses: This is a big duh, but if youve been online for more than a week ( since the last time you formatted ), you have been attacked by and likely HAVE some kind of malware on your computer. The best way to get rid of a virus is to format. But since most people dont like doing that ( I effin love it ), you can try virus removal apps. I suggest AntiVir, Spybot, and AdAware ( only AntiVir runs in realtime ). There are many great anti-malware apps out there, but a LOT more that really are malware THEMSELVES. So always check to make sure its legit, and remember; if you have to pay for it, it sucks.Ive posted a LOT of computer stuff specifically geared towards setting up windows based systems to perform their best. Check out some of my other posts to get a LOT more info on speeding things up. If you plan on doing all of these things, I suggest you format and THEN do them. Its always best to start off with a COMPLETELY clean system. I hope this helps!