xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
affhotspot

Hd-dvd And Blue Ray

:) What are these blue ray disk things? Whats so special about them?All i know is that when they come out the cd rom is going to cost a fortune!And i don't even want to start thinking about the cost of a single disk!
Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Post your question in the topic already at hand. Merging with existing topic.

Well cd-roms will be practically dead by that time. Dvds will take the place of cds and blu-ray or/and hd-dvds will become the new storage media standard.By the way, it's impressive how floppy disks are still vital to our computer in certain situations, since it's the most reliable way to recover boot/startup/disk/cd problems, or when we cannot use the cd/dvd drives..

I don?t like Blu-Ray. I think Sony is putting its money on something that will not yield a good return. Blu_ray may have a slight technological advantaged when compared to HD DVD, but it is not backward compatible. It must also come with a case, because its recording layer is too close to the disc surface. The case of the blu ray makes it very clumsy indeed. And the necessity to purchase a new DVD writer makes it very unattractive when compared to the less technologically advanced but more compatible HD DVD. I don?t know why Sony is still pushing for Blu ray. Sony can bundle them with Play Station 3, but it risks putting all its stacks on one product. I think it is quite unwise to do so. I will support HD DVD, instead of Blu Ray.

Personally these mediums as film distibution are of little concern to me, as a storage medium however thats different, and for that matter I would expect to be choosing BluRay, due to the larger capacity and quicker seek time. the use of BluRay within the PlayStation 3 has always been something which I have been a fan of, and it really annoys me to here people complain that they don't want to watch BluRay films, what annoys me is that they forget games will ship on these too, and thats got to be a good thing 50GB storage for a console game? hell yeah. As games become more complex and so the desire for more visually complex games increases than we will see the power of BluRay, that in my opinion will be difficult for DVD's to beat. HDDVD's will probably 'win' though, despite being technically inferior, they will be cheaper and more familiar to users (due to having DVD in the title), that and knowing Sony BluRay DRM will be insanely restrictive.

the new hd-dvd technology is comming. it supposed to mind blowing. its said that you actually feel your in the movie. and hd tvs are becoming cheaper so hd-dvd and hd-tvs will go hand in hand to provide good quality. but most companies are not supporting it and are going with the blue ray technology wich is very expensive.

Exactly this Bluray is the best solution for storage. thus if anyone has its whitepaper pleasepost it in the forum.

I believe that hd dvd will be the preferred format for hd movies 1 its cheaper 2 It is just as good (For movies) as a blu ray disk3 It is smaller4 Manufactoring is easier (just need to modifie a dvd manufactoring machine)5 hddvd already has New Line Cinema, Paramount, Universal, Time-Warner signed up with itI think for other applications however (computers mainly) blu ray will have the upperhand because of their high capacity.But hd dvd does have the capability of holding almost as much as a blu ray disk. Currently the disks being manufactored are single layer providing 15gb of storage, they have made some duel layer disks providing 30gb of storage and in a lab there is a prototype triple layor hddvd providing 45gb of storage, only 5gb less than the largest blu ray disk.