xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
affhotspot

Hd-dvd And Blue Ray

the new hd-dvd technology is comming. it supposed to mind blowing. its said that you actually feel your in the movie. and hd tvs are becoming cheaper so hd-dvd and hd-tvs will go hand in hand to provide good quality. but most companies are not supporting it and are going with the blue ray technology wich is very expensive.

hd tvs don't have to be with hd dvds to get good quality. A tv means you could plug everything in and it will work. From what i know, hd dvd holds alittle bit more than 1/2 of a blue ray disc. I'm sure, no matter how expensive blue ray disks are, if no one buy them, they will lower the price. And who knows, in a few year, they might be as cheap as dvds now. Dvds used to be expensive, i remember the first stack i bought.. was for $50. Two stacks of 50 each. I thought it was an awesome deal, then a few months later, you could get them for 20. The day after thanksgiving, circut city had it for $7 for a 50 stack. I regretted for now buying them because i'm running out right now =(

well,this kind of compressed disk format standard is very good from its feature.it also bring clear qulity frame when watching TV show.the most important is the price of this kind of dvd.but the piratical dvd always annoy users usually...

I've read all about these disks. Supposedly in Japan they already have Blu-Ray players and disks on sale, and people have been buying them and enjoying them. I also saw a demo once of the new disks versus DVDs, and the picture quality is a lot better, especially on larger screens and projectors.I just get annoyed that the technology moves so fast, and mass corporations can always keep up with new technology, but its slightly harder for the home user.

I've found some differences about Blu-Ray and HD-DVD...

Blu-ray

Backed by:

Sony, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Hitachi, LG Electronics, Matsushita Electric Industrial (Panasonic), Mitsubishi Electric, Philips Electronics, Pioneer Electronics, Samsung Electronics, Sharp, TDK, and Thomson Multimedia.

Advantages:

Getting the early start, Blu-ray has enjoyed more mindshare than HD-DVD, as well as a conglomerate of powerful backers that rivals President Bush's "coalition of the willing" in size and scope. Technologically, the biggest edge Blu-ray appears to have over HD-DVD is that it offers 30 per cent more capacity and is designed for recording high-def video. Rewritable BD-RW discs, with similar features to Panasonic's current DVD-RAM discs, can play back content while recording to the disc at the same time. Also, Sony owns Columbia Pictures and recently bought MGM, which gives it a leg up on releasing content. And PlayStation 3 certainly will carry a huge chunk of clout in the marketplace.

Disadvantages:

Real or not, the biggest knock against Blu-ray is that the discs -- initially, at least -- will be more costly to produce than HD-DVD media (Sony claims otherwise). Until recently, the other knock was that unlike DVD-HD, the Blu-ray spec did not include support for more advanced video compression codecs such as MPEG-4 AVC and Microsoft's VC-1, in addition to the MPEG-2 codec. But the Blu-ray Group recently announced support for those codecs, so they're now on even ground on that front.

HD-DVD

Backed by:

Toshiba, NEC, Sanyo, and Memory-Tech. Microsoft is also supporting HD-DVD in its next version of Windows (support for Blu-ray is on the table).

Advantages:

The name itself, HD-DVD, is far more consumer-friendly than Blu-ray. HD-DVDs carry the same basic structure as current DVDs, so converting existing DVD manufacturing lines into HD-DVD lines is supposedly simple and cost effective. Memory-Tech, a leading Japanese manufacturer of optical media, stated that producing HD-DVD discs would initially cost only 10 per cent more than for existing DVDs and that it could quickly bring the cost down to match that of standard DVD.

Disadvantages:

HD-DVD simply can't boast the same storage capacity as Blu-ray. It's confusing, but it appears that the rewritable HD-DVD-RW will go up 32GB, while the recordable HD DVD-R discs will only be single layer (15GB). The other downside is that with Sony holding the rights to Columbia Pictures and MGM movie and television libraries, there will probably be a hole in HD-DVD's content offering -- don't expect to see MGM/UA's James Bond movies on HD-DVD, for example.

I think for now, we shouldn't buy one of the technologies because they are still fighting to become the market standard. It's definately highly priced, even for it's disc. Both have their advantages, but we still cannnot use both technologies in a single device yet. It's best that we wait for them to settle down while their prices drops, and get a DVD player that is capable of handling both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD standards, like how dual-DVD players worked for DVD+ and DVD- standards now..

So what's the big deal between them? We'll just wait and see.. Anyway we're the consumers and shall make use of both their advantages, rather than supporting either one to become a standard and limits the other to our own use..

Yeah, there are great advances in data and audiovisual storage and reproduction but I don?t really see the point in things evolving so fast... it?s only business, whenever we are used to the new standard, another comes in. It?s very frustrating. :D And in most cases when two technologies are in competition, doesn?t win the best. Only the one with more money-support behind.

I just can't wait until they have the blu-ray writer drives for computer, because there just is not enough disk space to fit my Steam bcakup on one DVD. I hope that Blu-Ray will not fall by the wayside, as most of Sony's revolutionary media has (Super Audio CD, MiniDisk, BetaMax, etc..)

I worked retail for many a year, and the customer does set the standard. I remember supaud cd's were supposed to be the shiz, but they were not cost effective. Mini disk was a great concept, but not compatable to most pre-existing units, and people didn't want to build entire new home audio systems around it, or buy a seperate player for their cars. Bigger and better is not always the answer. I thin Blue Ray can find a niche w/ certain users, but trying to force it on everyone is a really bad idea. Charging more for the discs, and having to buy all new players and burners is just not what people want to have to do. Look how long it's taken regular dvd's to phase out vhs! And now they want to start over again? I think Sony likes to bite off more then they can chew, just so they can try to be innovative, too bad they haven't learned to take baby steps yet....

HD-DVD will exist for XBOX360 and Blu-Ray will be for PS3. So, basically it almost the same with the fight amongs the two as well. At any rate, other than that I don't really know anything about other aspect using HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, assuming the players are not available at least I haven't ever seen it.Using HD-TV in near future is so good, but with the price is still high, I can just wait till my parents be aware of its advancement. By the way, my parents are somewhat blind of technology.Well, Sony surely like revolutionary media isn't it... I'll look when UMD and Blu-Ray will compete each other...

This HD-DVD and Blu-Ray battle has become quite a problem. The players for both of these technologies is going to be expensive and I don't want to buy to machines for playing these discs or waste two slot on my computer. They both have their strong and weak points and are on pretty even ground in my opinion so it's pretty much pick a side and stick with it or buy the player for both. If we're lucky there will be a player that can read both. Right now I'm leaning towards HD-DVD just because it will probably be cheaper. If Blu-Ray turns out to be cheaper I will use that.

I just hope that we won't find ourselves in a situtation the requires us to have an HD-DVD player for all movies from certain publisher companies, while other publisher companies will require one to have a Blu-Ray disk player. If neither side backs down, it just may happen.

would MID-2006 be soon enough for you guys? FUJIFILM manufacture of blu-ray and hd-dvd to begin soon. :D  main.polybuzz.info/fujifilm-announcbegin-mid-2006/

I am a supporter of the Blu-ray technology because of the fact that it can hold much more information than that of its HD-DVD counterpart. Supposedly they are already finish development of a quadruple-layer Blu-Ray disk that can hold around 200 gigabytes! This seems to be a very impressive technology that sure is an improvement over what we currently have available on the market as of today. I also back Blu-Ray because of the companies that are supporting it. I admit, I am a fan of Sony, not a fan boy though, and this may be why I am leaning towards wanting to see Blu-Ray win the next-generation storage medium battle. Only time will tell. There are also other technologies that are being developed. One of them is being reported as to having a possible capacity of one terabyte, now wouldn't that be something.(speaking of blu-ray, I can't wait to see what the ps3 will be able to do with the new technology and how it can take advantage of it)

the new hd-dvd technology is comming. it supposed to mind blowing. its said that you actually feel your in the movie. and hd tvs are becoming cheaper so hd-dvd and hd-tvs will go hand in hand to provide good quality. but most companies are not supporting it and are going with the blue ray technology wich is very expensive.

216028[/snapback]

I heard about this. I heard it is going to be simply amazing. What from i heard pircutre quality will be sharper. Next the sound will be like you are there. Which makes it great. Also more channels on TV are moving into Doubly 5.1 Sound and HD. It is great. We got HD TV for the last year. It is very good. Also then just new technolgy more things are using it. Businesses! Speaking of it. Disney. Disney theme parks stepped into making there ride movies with it. Seen Rock 'n' Roller Coaster staring Areosmith? Well the whole preview show is being filmed but new technolgy. Well of course Disney has been in the TV buisness for more now then 100 years. LOL.

Next even Computer Graphics on movies like Comcast the fan showing the news and live Hockey. They are improving better and better. I am not surprised how it is doing.

Well that is what i got ot say.

Mysterio Was Here :)

They don't really have a choice but to jam in as many fancy special effects as possible. As movies have become an older technology, it seems the amount of plot and story that goes into making a movie have some quality has steadily dropped as well (maybe not linearly), and as a result, movie companies must make their movies prettier and more groundbreaking in order to continue to impress their audiences. There is less and less that one can make a movie about that is original, and people tire of the same old stuff over and over again. I expect that the movie industry will last for many decades to come, but there will eventually be a point at which movies won't be interesting enough for an audience unless they become more like games (or holo-novels, as in the case of Star Trek). For me, it's already coming closer and closer to that point.