xisto Community
rejected

How To Make A Web Browser Visual Basic 6

This is a simple and specific tutorial on how to make a basic web browser in Visual Basic 6.

Steps 1-3

Create a new project, and then go to "Project" on the menu.

Click components as shown in the following image.

Posted Image

Find the component "Microsoft Internet Controls," check it, and click "Apply" and then "Close."

Posted Image

Click the icon that was just added in the tools window, and draw a large sized window with it. This is going to be where you view webpages through your browser, so don't make it small, but leave room for buttons and other accessories.

Steps 4-6

Make a textbox, this will be your URL bar where you type in the address of the website you want to see.

Make four command buttons, these are going to be your Go, Back, Forward, and Refresh buttons, change the captions accordingly, and name each of them Cmdgo, Cmdback, CmdForward, and CmdRefresh.

Now, here's the coding part. This is all it takes to make your webbrowser working.

Private Sub cmdback_Click()WebBrowser1.GoBackEnd Sub
Makes the back button go backwards, pretty much self explanatory.

Private Sub Cmdforward_Click()WebBrowser1.GoForwardEnd Sub
Same concept, except this time the webbrowser goes forward.

Private Sub cmdgo_Click()WebBrowser1.Navigate (Text1.Text)End Sub
Makes your webbrowser go to the URL in your text box.

Private Sub cmdrefresh_Click()WebBrowser1.RefreshEnd Sub
Makes your web browser refresh.

Private Sub Form_Load()WebBrowser1.Navigate ("http://thyelite.com")End Sub
The URL shows your homepage, change it to https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=7AkjVIatDsKH8QfNkoC4DQ&gws_rd=ssl or whatever your usual homepage you would like to be.

Private Sub WebBrowser1_StatusTextChange(ByVal Text As String)Text1.Text = (WebBrowser1.LocationURL)Form1.Caption = (WebBrowser1.LocationName)End Sub
This changes the text box's text into what URL that you're currently at, and the next line makes the caption of your form into the header of the URL.

There you are, a tutorial on how to make a browser, thanks for your time :D.

yeah... i made that or something similar long ago... but it was slow as hell... i was loading google for an half an hour :DThat stuff could be used for spoofing your browser id... I remember ther where a way to build a web browser in php... il post it if ifind it.

It's also possible to do it with VB.NET. The internet browser created with Visual Studio actually takes the properties and settings configured for the Internet Explorer (IE) browser on your computer. So basically, in other words, you have created a customised IE rather than your own browser.

Awesome, but I would worry about it messing with the integrity of your security. The main problem I also see with this is the fact that it could also make it run slower than usual. Is there a way to be able to switch between using the regular browser and the one you create? Overall it IS a good idea though and I think this is a great post. Thanks for the info and if I ever get the program I will try it.

Yeah, a web browser needs a LOT more code than that. What you're doing, like Inspiron said, is making your very own custom Internet Explorer. It's like taking the source code of Firefox and modifying it to your likings...except less complicated.

Firefox is not created with Visual Basic however. Rather it's impossible to believe that Firefox is created with Visual Basic because Microsoft owns Visual Basic and this language isn't free. So if Firefox is created with a paid programming language, then why it would be distributed free?I'm not sure but I have a feeling that Firefox is created with C++ language..

This is a very interesting topic. There are so many web browsers out there and using VB as said in previous posts is just making a customized internet explorer. It actually will not run if you do not have internet explorer installed on your machine. Now taking and making a browser from the firefox sources would be pretty sweet. However, firefox is still the number one browser and is definately a lot faster than IE.

When you install Visual Basic, it gives you the components it would take to run Internet Explorer, so technically you have it installed while you have visual basic.

Doesn't that mean the browser you make is running off the Internet explorer engine? I mean, Visual basic is made by Microsoft, so is internet explorer... which would mean that a component used to browse would be the exact same... weird. I wouldn't make a browser anyways :D

YAYA I'v been looking everywhere for this. So is firefox made in visual basic lol. I though it.

Great tutorial. Really helped! thanks.

215712[/snapback]

Where'd you get that idea? Read my post again. :D

Doesn't that mean the browser you make is running off the Internet explorer engine? I mean, Visual basic is made by Microsoft, so is internet explorer... which would mean that a component used to browse would be the exact same... weird. I wouldn't make a browser anyways :(

215914[/snapback]

Yes Dooga, we established that. :D

Hey You! It's not only in VB.Net! Even vb takes the setting from IE! Thats because the We Browser Tool we use is actually from the IE! If you wanted to make a actual new web browser it would take you years just to get the basic functions straight!But hey why don't you take a look at some more advance vb internet explorers in some source code sites (like planetsourcecode.com)