xisto Community
bigfatme2000

I Am Getting A New Laptop For the festive season

Now i have been looking, and was wondering if anyone recommends a certain make for the Christmas gift off my family - a laptop.I want quality, and good for money. I am considering HP - and NO WAY dell! ;);) Have any of you guys got any recomendations? :D

Now i have been looking, and was wondering if anyone recommends a certain make for the Christmas gift off my family - a laptop.

I want quality, and good for money. I am considering HP - and NO WAY dell! ;)  ;)

Have any of you guys got any recomendations?  :D

214835[/snapback]

Well I work at a computer store and part of my job is to buy and sell quality desktops and laptops. Dells are horrible. I personally don't like them so I agree with you in not getting one. I would definitly suggest a Sony Vaio. I really like those. They tend to be expensive but they are respectivly good. They always tend to have a good amount of RAM and they have large harddrives. Dells usually only have a 40gb harddrive and 256mb of ram. Some of the Vaios I've come across come stock with 512mb of RAM and usually a 60gb harddrive. They also have good software loaded.

I've personally had bad luck with 2 HP notbooks. Also, Dell has some quality control issues with their newer and cheaper stuff. Seems like they forgot what doomed Packard Bell and nearly doomed Gateway...I use Mac notebooks now. However, rumor is that the Mactels (OSX on Intel) should be out by Feb. 2006. My iBook is actually dead (logic board) and I've been putting off buying a new one until I head off to Law School next fall. At work I have a powerbook and love it. I did own a Sony Vaio latop a number of years ago and had very good luck with it. Sony doesn't build crap. If your going to get a stock WIndows Notebook off the shelf, Sony would also be my first choice.If you can wait two more months, a Mactel iBook would be my first choice.

My Laptop is a:
Fujitsu Siemens L7300 with Windows XP Home Edition
191 MB Ram (its crazy, but i am sending it to service to get it upgraded)
30 GB HardDisc
Intel 4 Prossesor and so on.
Its a good computer, i do recommedate it, just get the RAM Updated, offcouse there are better Computers on the internett. Here are some:
[ - Click here - ]
[ - Extremly Fast Computer here! - ]
[ - HP Computer if you want that - ]

~ Arne-Christian

At least get yourself one with 512MB RAM. A modern computer cannot run without 512MB RAM. While many cheap models are offering built-in graphics, you also have to be aware that those built in graphics takes up a certain amount of RAM from your computer. As for the speed of the RAM, I dont think dual channel is needed for a lap top as the FSB of mobile CPU is just 533MHz. There are some ULV CPUs on the market. IF you need long standby time, you may choose those models. But if you are using it as a desktop replacement, meaning that the computer is AC plugged most of time, a better CPU will be more suitable. Check the TFT monitor as well. HP panels are not as good as those from Sony / Toshiba/ Fujitsu. Check the contrast and the reaction time.

i have a fujitsu amilo laptop .... bought through a deal from work , its fantastic.the only drawback to it is that you have to remove a base cover with 10 small screws in to swap the hdd ...... i dont do this often , so its only a minor problem.

Out of laptop brands I would prefer ASUS, Toshiba or Gateway. Here are couple of reasons:For ASUS: High quality, awesome design, usually slim and lightcons: a bit too expensiveFor Toshiba: High quality, good design, decent price on high specscons: some models are pretty expensiveFor Gateway: Highest level of hardware for the price, good quality cons: a bit oldish design

I have a Dell D600 and is really good, but sony have better designs, before you decide what laptop/brand/model to buy think in theses things:-Do you want a really mobile computer or not?For example my laptop weight 2.4kg versus the IBM 41G that weight 3.7kgThis things have a directly relation with the system specification and with the battery autonomy,For example while my dell have an Pentium M 1.6, the ibm have a Pentium 4 3Ghz HT. While my dell can run 4 hs in battery the IBM only 2hs. (this times are calculated using Word and with the lowest brightness)-The minimun amount of memory for today's OS is 512mb-Buy a laptop with a dedicated video card, For example my dell D600 have a ATI 9000 with 32mb dedicated, beside some new centrino that have the Intel Extreme 2 or the i900 extreme.- Pay attention in the keyboard, the standart QWERTY keyboard is better than other hybrids keyboards.-REALLY IMPORTANT= Buy a laptop with a SXGA display or better, the older XGA have a really bad resolution compared wiht the new ones.-Finally the brand you choice is important for the support and the parts you will need in the future.For example Compare the cost and disponibility of the model battery between the brands you prefer.Good Luck!!

Now i have been looking, and was wondering if anyone recommends a certain make for the Christmas gift off my family - a laptop.

I want quality, and good for money. I am considering HP - and NO WAY dell! :D  :D

Have any of you guys got any recomendations?  :(

214835[/snapback]

your right don't get dell, they rip you off. ibm thinkpad is very good but its more expensive than hp. but i read an article that said hp actually makes some of the best laptops around and they are at a good price. i think it be good to go with the hp.