xisto Community
vedjotri

Google Declares War On Microsoft!

hajmola writes "According to an article in The Inquirer, 'Google has confirmed that it will launch free spreadsheet and word-processing software online and take on Microsoft in one of its biggest markets. Under the deal, Google will allow web users to access Sun's OpenOffice from a toolbar.'" This is full confirmation of a story from Tuesday. Forbes thinks this isn't anything to write home about, while InfoWorld disagrees.

Source: Slashdot http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/=

Google builds an empire to rival Microsoft

Google's one-of-a-kind computer network gives it a chance to surpass Microsoft to become the most dominant company in tech, according to the author of a recently published book on the search giant.

Google already has plenty of influence. It handles nearly half of the world's Web searches. It's hiring some of the biggest names in the industry, from the controversial Kai-Fu Lee of Microsoft to the legendary Vint Cerf, an early Internet pioneer. And it has become such the topic du jour in Silicon Valley that its search for a new corporate chef warrants significant local news coverage.

But what's next? Author Stephen Arnold has closely analyzed Google patents, engineering documents and technology and has concluded that Google has a grand ambition--to push the information age off the desktop and onto the Internet. Google, he argues, is aiming to be the network computer platform for delivering so-called "virtual" applications, or software that allows a user to perform a task on any device with an Internet connection.

Follow the link to read complete articles (Source ZDnet.com)

Google builds an empire to rival Microsoft: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Google and Sun join forces: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

The articles are tooo big to be pasted here so see them urselves

Notice from cmatcmextra:
Please use quote tags when copying and pasting from other sites.
Edited by cmatcmextra (see edit history)

Source: Slashdot http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/=

Google builds an empire to rival Microsoft

Follow the link to read complete articles (Source ZDnet.com)

Google builds an empire to rival Microsoft: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Google and Sun join forces: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

The articles are tooo big to be pasted here so see them urselves

Notice from cmatcmextra:
Please use quote tags when copying and pasting from other sites.

214820[/snapback]

Thats all music to my ears! :D

I mean google are MUCH better than Microsoft - in almost all ways. I feel sorry for GMAIL, havong to change their name due to some childish company not allowing them to use that name!

Also, imaging google brought out their own Operating system - i mean with the technology of today - they could suprise us! ;)

I think we will all have to wait on that one lol - great newsthough - who do you think will win the war? ;)

Great news, I think google will come with something definitely better than Microsoft, although the years of experience of the last one. Besides, it?s proved that Microsoft needs a competitor to copy their features in later editions of their softwares. ;)

Oh no, this is old story of google taking over the world, everyone find some shelter form google!I think they will make some thing as good as microsoft but to be honest I have office 2003 and its amazing and so much better than anything thats come before. It will take a lot of effort for google to make anything to rival microsoft and I know for a fact the openoffice sucks (well the last openoffice i used did anyway) so google will have to think up a brilliant idea to compete with microsoft.but good luck to google, but I warn you this is only the beginning...google WILL take over the world if they are not stopped like microsoft was!

lol Wow that'll be real cool if they do bring software and integrate it to use online. What would be even better is if they kept it free like all of their other software. Then I am sure they will be the biggest company in the world. Look at all the resources they have now all for free and all very useful. Now they are taking on Microsoft and adding even more to it. Quite an amazing feat. I can't wait to try it out. That would be awesome especially since i wouldn't take much room on your computer probably because it is online. I guess we will have to wait and see.

I might be missing something here, but why not just install Open Office? but that could just be me, anyway thisd can really only be a good thing and quite possibly the first sign that Google are actively targeting Microsoft, recently its just been Microsoft chasing Google but Google may just be able to pull this off aslong as they don't paste ads all over, I'm not say they shouldn't place a few small text ads but they should steer clear of banners (which apparently may not be the case if AOL get their way). so yeah know we just need a the much speculated GBrowser and possibly an OS, if this goes well who knows?

That is certainly a good news. If this is true, a new Google document standard will definately be formed and become a more commonly used tool than Microsoft's. Where can we download these software from Google? Or is it still under development?If Google goes on and develope an OS and distribute for free, then we'll say bye bye to Microsoft and watch it dominated by Open-Source and Free-Source community..

I read it alredy on newspaper... It was a quite shock to me because Google is an awesome company + sun microsystems... I think Microsoft is though company to which is I think the most popularest in the world... So I think it's going to be a big war ;)... Ill look for what is the best but Im still trusted to Microsoft for loonger then 4 years ;)...

That would be totally cool, man. It is the perfect time for Google to improve and go beyond everything Microsoft has done before...CHeerS!!!!! ;)

Wow. This is rather interesting news. I didn't know about google wanting to compete with microsoft til I read this thread about a minute ago.I wish them a great deal of luck if they're to go through with this. It will certainly involve a great deal of work to try to beat Microsoft, but with a well known company like google, is definitely possible.I guess i'll be able to look forward to using google-style, google-coded applications in the near future which will hopefully over-take Microsoft!My opinion is that google shouldn't find it too hard to compete with microsoft, although getting started will be a challenge.

There are many people who already hate google now because they are growing too big for their own good. In the end, if google beats microsoft and takes over the world, do you think they will be any better? All google cares about is money too. Just like MS.Just to get into the chinese market. google has conformed to chinese government demands to censor search results like human rights and freedom of speech. Why would google do this? Obvious. They want to get into the chinese market so they can make more money.Google, if they can bring down MS, will simply end up being the next MS.MS has done good for the computing world. If it weren't for MS, you wouldn't be able to do the things you can today. Namely, CUT AND PASTE. This is the most powerful tool. And it wouldn't be possible if everyone didn't use MS. Now, all programs conform to the MS methods so that cut and paste between all programs is a snap. If MS weren't the standard, cut and paste would be horrible. Have you ever tried opening an MS doc in Lotus word pro and vice versa? They look terrible.Business has definately benfited from MS in terms of productivity.

The possibility of Google bring us a Operating System is quite realistic, however I feel it might be a slightly different kind of OS. A online OS. This is quite possible even though I think some of them are slightly retarded in the way they work so far. eyeOS is a online OS that anyone can install on thier server with differen't user accounts, a savable text editor, calender, reminders and capability to write new programs. It also all runs off flat files. Maybe google will bring us something like this? Thoughts?

But what about laptops? I am guessing one would beable to download the app like OpenOffice, but when I'm travelling, especially on the road, I'm not around an internet connection 24/7.Maybe someday with wifi, but this is a few years off and assumes that MS doesn't do something else to counter it or Yahoo enters the game, etc...

This is ridiculous...Google declares war on microsoft...wow, I can't wait to see Google get there faces stomped into the ground. No Pun intended. Google doesn't have nearly as much power as Microsoft, I mean, Microsoft owns 80% of the computer industry. THAT'S A MONOPOLY! Google will get owned. Enough said there.