xisto Community
CroSpartacus

Video Card Integrated Can I change it?

I need to get a better video card for my computer, but I found out that the video card I already have is integrated. Lots of people have been telling me that you can't change the video card if it's integrated. But this one kid from my school said that you can change the video card even if it is integrated. Is this true?

You can't CHANGE an intergrated video card as it is soldered onto the motherboard, however you can (sometimes) add a new diffrent video card. Look at the motherboard, you should see several long bars lined up with the slots at the back of the computer, if your computer is over a year old it will have PCI slots, you can always add a PCI video card, however you onboard video might be better then any PCI card you can buy, if there is a slot (most likly at the top) which is set closer in from the side, this is the AGP slot, it is designed for graphics and will allow you to add another card. It is unlikly that you have an AGP expandion bay, but here's to hopeing!

What is model of your motherboard? Some chipsets on motherboards like Intel 810 with integrated VGA not allowed a another PCI, AGP, ISA, PCI-E VGA! But if U haven't these motherboard on your PC U may to UPGRAGE your VGA in any free slot on your motherboard!

Moldboys response seemed a little... "Back From The Future" so I thought I would update it a little.

If your computer was purchased within the last EIGHTish years you have PCI slots guaranteed ( obviously not on laptops ), and more than enough of them ( probably ).

If youre computer is about fiveish years old, you almost definetly have an AGP slot.

If your motherboard is maybe a year old you might have a PCI-Ex x8 or x16 slot, and if so, you WONT have an AGP slot ( they serve the same purpose ).

95% of the time you can disable onboard video in the BIOS ( only do this with another video card installed and being used, otherwise youll have to reset the CMOS to regain video ).

Assuming you have a EISA/PCI/AGP/PCI-Ex slot, you can ALWAYS add a video card and use that instead of the onboard ( integrated ) video.

Onboard video ALWAYS blows goats. A PCI video card will always beat onboard PCI video and often beat onboard AGP video ( unless the onboard AGP is of higher quality compared to other integrated AGP video chips ).

ALL integrated video also consumes your RAM ( some more than others ). This is part of the reason that youll almost always see improvement using a video expansion card.

I hope this is helpful.

You cannot change or remove the integrated graphics card. As what the previous posters said, the integrated card was soldered onto the motherboard itself. However I think by buying another graphics card (non integrated) and install to your computer will make this new graphics card a primary one. Meaning with the non-integrated card installed, your computer will work with it and put aside the default integrated graphics card. Anyone please correct me if the information is wrong..

If you install another graphics card, you definitely have to disable the onboard video. You'll need to check your owner's manual for the motherboard because in order to disable the onboard video you might have to either disable it in the BIOS, or you might have to change jumper configuration on the motherboard itself.Also, your owner's manual, or the specifications sheet, for the motherboard will tell you exactly what kind of graphics card the motherboard will take.If you don't have either of these documents but you do know the model and manufacturer of the motherboard, you will be able to download the specs from the manufacturer's website.

If youre computer is about fiveish years old, you almost definetly have an AGP slot

this is ormaly the case, however if you have onboard vidoe many computers won't have AGP, when I said a year old I refering to the liklyhood of having PCI-E not of not having PCI

just buy a new graphic card and stick in it and disable the integrated one. (or else go to fry's get a cpu/motherboard combo for like 200 bucks comes with 3200+ maybe even 3400+ or 3500+ now).