xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
semeticsister

The Vent: Another Technicality

I love The Vent. I love complaining about things. But sometimes I love using bad words. So anyway let me get to the point of this post. The moderators claim that many young children visit this forum, so therefore it is OUR responsibility to control our language, right? I believe this is absurd. If a young child visits this forum, or any other vulgar site, it is no one's fault except the parent's. The parent is the person that should monitor whether the child is exposed to bad words, it is not our job to do so. So therefore, I think we should be able to use language without the filter in the Vent without having to worry if little Timmy is being exposed to the F bomb because his ignorant lazy soccer mom won't bother to do a little something called "parenting".

I sort of see your point but it isn't like parents are supposed to watch the kids every second of everyday. It isn't really just kids that are exposed to bad words and it isn't the only reason for not being to use them either. Besides, why should kids be taken away from a site to hang out on just because it has bad words. They have a right to come here too and should be able to without having to worry about being exposed to things like bad words. Xisto is supposed to be a good environment for people to hang out.

I sort of see your point but it isn't like parents are supposed to watch the kids every second of everyday.  It isn't really just kids that are exposed to bad words and it isn't the only reason for not being to use them either.  Besides, why should kids be taken away from a site to hang out on just because it has bad words.  They have a right to come here too and should be able to without having to worry about being exposed to things like bad words.  Xisto is supposed to be a good environment for people to hang out.

214012[/snapback]

I totally agree with what plentoptic said, anyone should ahve the right to visit this site, no matter what age they are. I eman dont get me wrong if it does seem a littel srange but the whole point is to gain new knowledge.

I'm kindof split.. everyone has a right to visit this site. But at the same time, you could put a warning label on the vent saying that there might be some language here. I know another site like that.. I'm not really sure if it works or not, I don't know any young kids signed up for it. Technically, I'm pretty sure its not up to the admin of a site to make sure young kids don't see bad language or anything like that on a forum, as long as they provide a warning. But allowing there to be just prevents some kids from coming here because of parents who do watch that type of thing, and that shouldn't really happen.I think the easiest thing to do is just go somewhere else (a blog, another forum..) to vent if you want to use swear words and stuff. Does it really matter that your anger and frustration be so accessible for the world to see?

I love The Vent. I love complaining about things. But sometimes I love using bad words.

So anyway let me get to the point of this post. The moderators claim that many young children visit this forum, so therefore it is OUR responsibility to control our language, right? I believe this is absurd. If a young child visits this forum, or any other vulgar site, it is no one's fault except the parent's. The parent is the person that should monitor whether the child is exposed to bad words, it is not our job to do so. So therefore, I think we should be able to use language without the filter in the Vent without having to worry if little Timmy is being exposed to the F bomb because his ignorant lazy soccer mom won't bother to do a little something called "parenting".

214011[/snapback]

I don't understand why peoples are using the bad words and are dying to do that?

I amy speaking 3 languages and know 2 others but never I used bad words in my 61 years age even in special or private. I don't feel that I lost something or having restriction.

I have also feeling that as far you speak bad words as far you are not sucessful [You know what I mean].

I can argue , discuss ,dispute, be angry and shouting but without bad words or insulting.

I think the vent by allowing hot argument it does't mean bad words

I will not understand that. This is because it is YOUR responsibility to keep the forums clean. This is a family friendly site and it MUST be suitable for ages down to 13 because that is the legal age where kids can be active on the Internet without an adult supervising. If you don't like it then maybe you can start your own World Wide Web and Internet that uses some other device.But here, we speak one language, English. Not pig-latin, not chinese, not spanish (nothing meant toward these people, I am just saying). I have almost zero tolerance toward bad language usage. This forum is an upstanding english forum so we don't all get mixed up when someone posts something in english and gets responses in Shawnee, German, Italian, and other languages including excessive swearing. See? No offense toward anyone. I am just saying what the rules are here, and don't understand why you guys would like to use bad language here in a good forum so it's reputation can go down through the ground.

I actually agree that swaring should not be allowed in The Vent or in any other of the fine Xisto forums. When you are talking to someone sometimes one of those words slips out on accident because you are mad. Here it is a different story. You see what you type and there is a backspace button. Some adults do not like swearing either. I don't like seeing swaring all over the place because people can't think of a better word.

I'd just like to point out that, as mentioned, children under the age of 13 can't legally participate in the online community (email, chat, forum, etc.) without the direct permission/supervision of an adult. Since that means that we only need to worry about kids 13 and older, I would like to go further and point out that movies can use the "s" and "f" word and still be rated PG-13. Thus, one can assume that "hardcore" language is actually allowed around 13-year-olds. It's the violence and sex that aren't.

Doesn't matter. There are younger teens on this site and they shouldn't be exposed to language. Besides as I pointed out before. It lowers Xisto's reputation. Now, if OpaQue doesn't mind you ruining his site's reputation as a clean forum, then fine, but he does mind and you have to abide by those rules.

li love the vent also! i love reading peoples problem!now i dont exactly know what the word filters include (as in what words are in it, but my opinion is that small words should be alloud, like the A word the D word, the S word, but words that are insulting other people suck as calling them an "Ignorant F word idiot" no.. that shouldn't be alloud.and as u said, parenting is the key word there, if the child is on the site looking through it and see's a bad word they will probably tell their parents, and they will probably do nothing about it..now that is bad parenting..but those who get told about it and do somthing about it are good parents..but there are people out there that have kids by accident because they were too stupid to use a condom, or birth control..they were just too worried about getting pleasure.

Hmmmm it's the parents job to watch their kids what they do and where they do it.I kind of understand why explicit words are not allowed, because some parents think too easy or not at all and let their kids go anywhere. But it's not the admins/moderators jod to babysit those who are underaged here, it's still their parents job.