xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Captain_Thunder

Oldest Website?

could ask the government since the intranet/internet started out with them before anyone else, but i know gamefaqs.com is 10 years old same with lordsofpain.net as well, but anything earlier then that i couldn't tell you.

lol, I have never considered about that. Yea I agree it would be interesting to know that. And I would like to visit it. ;) Hope someones knows that. But I think microsoft had their first website beacuse Bill gates invented I think Internet Explorer. ;)

According to most people, symbolics.com is the oldest registered domain, registered on 15th March 1985.
Some people also say that http://info.cern.ch/ is the oldest site, although you can no longer access it. That was Burners-Lee's test server.
Microsoft obviously claims it was them, supposedly generating help pages that were fetched off of the Internet.
The military is also an obvious choice, and although some of the original information is probably still available, the general public can't really access it!

I don't think anyone really thought of documenting it at the time, so I don't think we will ever know the true answer, we can only guess.

That is a really good question. I would like to know that as well. My first thought was also that Microsoft is the oldest web site but then I remembered about the military. I bet the first original web site was a test and is already gone but it is hard to tell which was the first ever created. Might have to try contacting the government and see if they have the record of one.

thats intersting that IE1 wasnt the first....*thinks* so if mosaic was the first what was the first was symbolics or that other place have mosiac as a defualt browser......only if we could check the sources in the 1990's ;)

you also forget that telnet are some of the oldest websites if you think about it when back in the days of playing rpgs on the old telnet servers as well.

Now this si what I call a super duper issue to discuss.For me the fist website was Yahoo.Most of the link u guys have provided are not working. ;)Some more things to be discussed areWhat server they used.What was the contentWas it an HTML site?When Did google StartedWhich was the first search engine?Many More.Intresting threadKeep it alive

google is surely new.i used netscape way before IE.got acquanted with mosaic, but preferred netscape...yahoo is old, but hotmail was older than yahoo.geocities is quite old too.in the olden days there was only html and a little bit of java. java is a luxury.probably cern was the first website because they created it...the united states military is a good guess also...telnet, aol, etc are not new either.but it's probably CERN no?

Mosaic was never a really popular browser, Netscape was the first browser people used, thus the internet started to be popular in 94. But I really have no clue about the first website...

When Did google Started

214111[/snapback]

Google first opened it's doors in september 1998, but still as a BETA version.

On september 21st, 1999, the BETA label came off Google.