xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
urlsubmission123kid

Best Operating System os

In my opinion I would have to say Windows. I'm currently useing Windows XP and I love it. The reason I say Windows is because the only Computers i've had had Windows on them. And if your looking for any software or games most of them run on Windows. I've never seen any game or software that you can't use because you have Windows as a Operating System.

There are viruses written for linux it also has itsvirusscanners. Also linux systems get hacked since hackers don't look at the system they only want to now if they can get in. (mind Hackers not Crackers/Scriptkiddies), thats also why there are allot of ways to set a firewall in linux.

Yes I've to agree with you. But please don't misunderstand me. I didn't meant Linux operating system is 100% hackproof or virusproof. In fact, or rather, Linux should be easiler to intrude into because it's all code or command based provided the hacker and virus writer knows around about Linux pretty well as Linux is open-sourced. Firewalls and Anti-Virus is also required too. However Linux is generally safer than Windows, that's what many will agree.

And support on *nix is bad?? Where have you been m8? Take a look on the irc channels of irc.freenode.net and see that there is lots of help. Even the dumbest questions will get a answer. Also the site of the distro you took has a forum to ask questions most of the time. If you bought linux in a store (Suse for instance) you are mostly entiteld to get support from the Suse team.

And again, I'm not saying Linux doesn't have support. They have definately, but much lesser than the support for Windows OS. You can easily find help on Windows OS on the internet and understand the guides of troubleshooting whereas for Linux, you have to find for a relevant helpline, which in your case might be in IRC and then solve your problem as immediate as possible without waiting any much longer for replies. Searching for help on the Internet for Windows OS can be as immediate and the search results and guides usually appear in multiple sites so the user may obtain help much easier, quicker and on-demand.

Linux never did force me to reboot the complete system even not when i installed a new kernel...

I definately have to agree with this. Windows is well-known for rebooting again and again otherwise. Generally any installations that deals with system settings and configurations or component drivers, a reboot is required. Linux, I don't think reboot is needed. That's a very big obvious advantage after using Linux for some time. :)

Anyway, you are a Linux user. Where did you usually get your help and guides from? If websites, what are the links? Because I'm trying to get into the Linux world too and I believe the future is Linux everywhere. I always have problems with Mandrake and I almost unable to get a single help from anywhere. Maybe you can recommend some with your experience. But definately for now I cannot deny that Windows still rule the majority.

Anyway, you are a Linux user. Where did you usually get your help and guides from? If websites, what are the links? Because I'm trying to get into the Linux world too and I believe the future is Linux everywhere. I always have problems with Mandrake and I almost unable to get a single help from anywhere. Maybe you can recommend some with your experience. But definately for now I cannot deny that Windows still rule the majority.

224607[/snapback]

Its been a long time since I really used the internet to find info for linux, specialy basic stuff what starters need but first of all the website of the linux version of your choice is/should be a good source for info. Take a look @ http://www.debian.org/ or https://www.gentoo.org/ and you will see that there are lots of guides to help you with the installation when you face a instalation problem thats a god source to look first.

Also a nice place to look is http://forums.justlinux.com/forum.php and http://www.tuxfiles.org/

If you have irc irc.freenode.net is a good source for help and info to.

but overall first look on the website of your distro, most people easely forget that thats also an info source..

Note. Mandrake is nowday Mandriva and for what I have seen the documentation on its site is oke and easy to understand.. The only thing is that it s a rpm based system and personaly those are not my favorit. But since allot of people like rpm based systems I guess there must be something good about it :)

I use debian-sid btw :)

I use 3 OS's on my system. WindowsXP pro, WindowsME and linux(debian based) and i use all the three equally. I use linux mostly to browse the web, watch movies, play some games etc. I use WindowsME to play some of my favorite games and programming. I use XP for managing my college projects and for some simulation softwares. I usually did'nt find much differences between the two platforms i.e. Linux and Windows. Whatever i can do on windows i can do on linux and vice versa.I completely disagree with people who say linux is only best for webservers and not desktops. Now times have changed it is not the time when linux was introduced, when there was no much support for that operating system. Now there is lot of support available on the web, it is not the old linux which supported more server applications than GUI applications. There are some people who may still argue with me over that. I think they are the people who have not tried it more recently.Trust me on this that as a desktop user you will not find much of difference in the operation of these two platforms. They both work almost same on desktop systems. Both have very good GUI and both support the same amount of applications for a normal desktop user.

Well it is hard for me to say, because Windows is the only OS i've ever used and eventough many people critisize it because it is vulnerable and that....it is SIMPLE and EFFECTIVE and the thing is that almost every program is written for it...so i am plannin to stick to it with new releases...as far as viruses are concerned i think it is logical that it is the most volnurable, because it is most widespread and so hackers try to hack it because they get in the most systems with those hacks...well WINDOWS are my choice!greetz