xisto Community
realthor

Alibre Express On Linux Through Winehq?

I have a question and can't answer myself as i haven't yet installed any Linux distro on my box and don't have any relevant experience concerning wine HQ. Do any of you have installed this free CAD software on your Linux through wine ar is any of you able to give it a try? It would be nice to have a linux at least free cad software if not open-source and it is pretty good as i've hured.Thank you .

Installing an application in wine always had some hassle and fine tuning. You'll get better luck with a self-compiled wine but as you haven't used linux before the pre-compiled should be enough. Try Fedora or Mandrake for a linux distro. The program is not listed in the appdb so it may or may not work. I has not tried it yet. It's based on your luck! (3Ds generally lacks support in wine, a least a while ago)
I recommend a native CAD software that works on linux(and other *nixes) but only supports 2D drawing. Varicad and Cycas are commercial ones. But if you use CAD for 3D purpose you can use other 3D softwares like Blender or to draw 3D pictures use Pov-ray which draws from your description in a text file!
Also if you plan I try that in wine, you'll have better luck with sidenet wine configurator(Here)

what has sidenet wine config in addition ti winehq?i mean what is it some file to copy in my wineHQ or a standalone clone or hack of wine?Second, i believe that alibre express is the best free cad i could use, commercial is out of sight becaus of price and i don't intend to make money with it to make such an acquisition fesable.Blender doesn't have solid modeling nor parametric dimensioning,so running this through wine would give linux cad-ers some free of cost solution they don't have actually.If you want to give it a try and share with us your results as i suppose you know better linux ;) than i do, many would really appreciate it.

OK, I'll give it a try in this weekend. I haven't update wine files lately but I'll give it a try with the lastest CVS if the current version doesn't work. Sidenet put a different wine configuration file configured for applications(aka IE).

very good, thank you. At least I will know if it deservs this hurry i'm in to set to linux at once. I'm downloading right now Kubuntu and will install it i hope in one or two weeks depending on my time to write on cds some data because my hdd is full and have no space for a linux partition. Later I plan to download Mepis and desktopBSD and try which one suits me best.I must say that i'm very courious about BSD.Anyway good luck and i'll wait for your results.

Sadly, it doesn't work. Other users may have other workaround for this, but I don't. SorryBut if you really need to have it running under linux, try running windows under a virtual machine called QEMU. But if it uses graphical 3D rendering then it will use the CPU to render it.

what a pitty!;) Is there any way of asking WineHQ creators to make this possible? From my point of view even if not open-source, just free, it is actually FREE and doesn't compare with any 3d free or open-source CAD on linux. So even if just some tricky thing it could get a CAD app in linux world of no-cost apps...