xisto Community
seanooi

Which Linux?

I was just wondering, cause since windows had been giving me major pi*soff problems, I'm thinking of switching to linux.I heard that FreeBSD is good for beginners, SuSE too, and so is Fedora Core. So which one would be the best recommendation for a total linux illiterated user like myself? ;)

I would put MadrakeLinux first on the Linux list.. Because almost everything is automatic upon installation.. Quite a good feature for people who know nothing about Linux..2nd on my list is Linspire.. It looks like Windows XP by interface.. So its another good feature for Linux idiots too..

if u think of luinux... go for Redhat Fedora or Mendake.If U Want to avoid problems with Windows, use Windows Xp/2003If You Can spent a bit more from your Pocket... Go get a Supe Babe - Apple.Get a G5 loaded with Tiger. And U'll never cry again.By Again I mean U'll have to cry once... For the Cost of G5. ;)

What linux??

What do you want to do with it??

ubuntu = easy installer and debian based. great beginners distro and as easy to install as windows (some say it is even easier). Most things work out of the box and getting software is easy as the abc ;)

mandriva (formaly known as mandrake) = also a nice beginners distro but uses a strange path-tree which will seem weird when you go to a more 'pro'distro.
it is rpm based so packages are again easy to install but compiling software from source could become a hell because of the path-tree.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/[/url]http://forums.xisto.com/ Again a nice distro and most of the things I said in mandriva also count for fedora but there is one odd thing and that is that some mediasoftware are not supported for installing for example mp3 is something you need to install by a small work arround.

There are so many distro's you could pick. Just try a few and see wich one suits you best ;)

But remember looks of a distro does not say anything you can custumice it the way you want. If you want a windows look well go ahead, apple look no problem, or something complete new?? its up to you.

One sidenote:

Linspire is a distro where you need to pay for software that you can get for free on the internet (no I dont mean warez). Its a distro that also comes with the crossover pluggin for windows apps but you will see that most things in windows (like office) also have a opensource friend (like openoffice) that can do the same and more.

GreetZ

I would put MadrakeLinux first on the Linux list.. Because almost everything is automatic upon installation.. Quite a good feature for people who know nothing about Linux..

2nd on my list is Linspire.. It looks like Windows XP by interface.. So its another good feature for Linux idiots too..

212476[/snapback]

Linux idiots???

sjees ;)

So if you are linux newbie the major problem for you is affcourse which distro to use...

My personal think is that first you need to use something like live linux cd. Koppix or some other... becouse that way you cant phuckup anything ;)

Then you should install SuSe ( its very quite and beautifuly :D ) or Ubuntu ( he is frendly user, maybe more then suse ). Ubuntu you can order for free ( affcourse all linux distros are free ) and youll be shipped on your home address with free of charge..

https://blog.canonical.com/2011/04/05/shipit-comes-to-an-end/ < you can order as many cd's as you wont ( default and minimum is 10cd's ) i ordered 20 im gona put em on my wall.:D So i must say that Ubuntu have text based installer, but its realy noting hard ;) only on ubuntu i didnt like the brwon collor .. :D nevermind

IF you have new version of SuSe and Ubuntu i suggest you to go for SuSe.

Then when you see how linux work and everything that you can choose on your own... i would say youll go for Slackware, yes he is very "hard" but if you hate windows that much you wont notice that slack is hard :D

Or you can simply use some Distro chooser.. like :

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

or maybe:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Have fun and post results from Distro choosers...

im too shame of my distro lol

One nice article about Linux that explains things on Mepis Linux - a Debian based Linux distro- is set up on http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. I would say it compares very well with Ubuntu/Kubuntu both debian based so a breeze to install anything and upgrade software and distro without reinstalling the whole package.
There are even XP themes as you'll read in this article that make you feel better if you're very used with WindowsXP, for example.Read on, it's very comprehensive article and explains many things. Cheers!

I use Ubuntu. It?s free, of course, and if you want they send you copies to your house no matter where you live. I think right now it?s probably the best alternative to Windows for people who are not very familiar with computing.By the way, the minimum they send you is five copies. I know because I got a packet with them a month ago. ;)

Well, i've just downloaded the 64bit version of ubuntu's ISO file and am waiting for my extra RAM to arrive before i install it. So currently I'm still stuck with windows.I also downloaded a SuSE DVD ISO file just to play around with it. But the RAM is suppose to come with my new DVD burner, so yeah, I'm also waiting for that before i can burn the image. Right now all i can do is just stare at screenshots of Ubuntu and SuSE, admiring the interface, and looking at a whooping 3.6GB file on my computer, hahahaha ;)

What about trying the knoppix live cd to get used to linux while waiting for your RAM/DVDBurner. How much ram do you have anyway? Ubuntu should run fine with a little bit less RAM. If you can run a decent windows installation, then your ubuntu shouldn't be any problem for you. Ps How come you have a 64bit PC with little RAM?

i use suse 9.2.it looks great and i have set to dual boot with xp.it installed on my laptop and found everything without any probs.with this linux distro , it looks very similar to xp and is all gui access.

FreeBSD? *Good for beginners*? What the hell was that person on?Anyways, I heartily recommend Ubuntu, especially if you only want basic software and have a crappy internet connection, since Canonical kindly runs ShipIt to mail everyone free CD's (I have x86 5.04 CDs and one each of X86/PPC/AMD64 Breezy CDs). THe catch is that since Ubuntu is a one-CD distro, it doesn't come with *that* much software (though it does have office software, internet software, image editing and all that other naff stuff out of the box.) You can get lots more via apt-get, but the only issue is if you have limited internet connectivity. (try installing things over 56k, three-hour capped dialup. It sucks.)Anyway, Ubuntu is a pleasure to use in so many ways. And it comes with so many random screensavers.... flying toasters? My favourite would be colorfire though.

What about trying the knoppix live cd to get used to linux while waiting for your RAM/DVDBurner. How much ram do you have anyway? Ubuntu should run fine with a little bit less RAM. If you can run a decent windows installation, then your ubuntu shouldn't be any problem for you.

Ps How come you have a 64bit PC with little RAM?

212857[/snapback]

Well, patience finally paid off, and i'm replying this message while using SuSE 10.0 x86_64. So hope that i can get some pointers here ;)

My laptop originally came with only 512mb of RAM and it wasn't enough for me, so i just plugged off the extra 256mb and installed the new 1GB. Right now it's running so nicely if it were a woman, I'd kiss her (I'd kiss any woman i find appealing ;) )

So yeah, just wanted to know, how do I make the taksbar like apples? Those when you hover your mose over and it expands, something like Y'z dock for windows. :P

HiI would also recommend going with Ubuntu distro.My brother gave me 5.04 a while ago,and I found it quite apealing,and functional.Tons of software is available over apt-get,but as someone said,don't try to use it over dialup.Didn't try to mess with compiling from source,but I imagine it's not dificult to do.Each CD package you order, contains one Live CD and install CD,so you can try Ubuntu without installing.Instalation is easy,almost as windows.90% of stuff works out of the box,I just needed to fiddle around to make the network functional.I swaped to Slackware soon after.However I ordered Ubuntu Breezy Breezer,new version of Ubuntu,and expecting them any day now.What I love about them,is they send CD's everywhere around the world,and I mean everywhere.My brother waited for 5.04 version to get here in Yugoslavia,for no more than a month.So,my recommendation is to go with Ubuntu.You get a live CD,and a very user friendly Linux distro.Cheers

FreeBSD strictly speaking is not Linux. FreeBSD like other BSD systems stem from the orginal Unix system. Linux is a variant of Unix. It is built in with a set of shell functions in a GNU system. GNU stands for GNU is not Unix. Linux does share a lot of similarity with FreeBSD. If you are comfortable with any kind of Linux, you are good with BSD too. I would recommend Fedora (formerly known as Red Hat Linux) Linux for its simplicity. The support community is large too. SuSE, Mandrakes and debians are popular too. Fedora, however, is unique in the sense that you can often get packaged binaries from the huge community while you may have to compile from source if you are with other packages of Linux.