xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
beeseven

New Ocean Forming? Afar Desert, Ethiopia

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

A 37-mile long fissure has opened up in the Afar Desert, and some scientists believe that it could be the start of a new ocean. It opened up in September and is currently about 13 feet wide. Unfortunately, it is estimated that the process of forming the ocean will take about a million years, so we won't get to see this happen (unless they perfect anti-aging soon).

Interestingly, it is thought that it will form in the gap created as part of Ethiopia is torn off of the continent of Africa. Currently it is travelling at the rate of 0.8 inches per year.

lol wow. That would be pretty interesting to see what the Earth is like if that does become an ocean. I bet they would name it after me. Only because I am special. I don't think a new ocean will do much good if it takes apart land because we will have a 2000 times more dense population by then.

Hmm. I don't know about a new ocean. I suppose it could happen. Our luck it will open into a mega vocano ;) No, but I may become something other than an ocean. Fissures often time have magma somewhere below the surface. Just depends on if it continues to get deeper. It would be cool though, a new ocean. Think, a million years from now we get to name a new ocean. From pond, to lake, to sea, and then ocean. :D Oh well, maybe they will come out with an amazing anti-aging cream ;)

of course theirs no pictures to see this either but interesting that a ocean could be forming in the middle of a desert.

I bet in a million years a lot of the will be ripped apart and replaced with water. Maybe an ocean in the middle of the dessert will be a good thing for Africa. And will Ethiopia still be considered part of Africa after it's been separated from it or will it become a completely separate entity. Maybe even a war will break out as they try and fight for their independance. Who knows.

I bet in a million years a lot of the will be ripped apart and replaced with water. Maybe an ocean in the middle of the dessert will be a good thing for Africa.

And will Ethiopia still be considered part of Africa after it's been separated from it or will it become a completely separate entity. Maybe even a war will break out as they try and fight for their independance. Who knows.

212267[/snapback]

yeah, wow never thought about that...Well as if we need another war in the world...ofcourse we aren't here when that happends, if it'll be because of the ocean.

but it's pretty weird that this happends in the middle of a dessert. Was it a kinda Oase before orsomething?

anyway nice thing to know! IF this will become an big ocean, I hope war will not be a concequence but the positive things like that there maybe enough water for those countries in Africa who really need it.

well most likely onc it really starts forming earthquakes will happen and all the other wonderful natural disaters as well when this ocean forms, but would africa be seperated once this happens?

A new ocean? Thats kind of strange... why wouldnt we just call the new body of water, once it connected to an existing ocean, the name that the ocean it connects to goes by? And what if its not a new damn ocean? What if the damned world is splitting half and we're all like " Hey a new ocean... " Okay thats just stupid, but you never know. We've been wrong before.

I hear about "ocean development" for the first time in my life. I tought that only global warming could do such a thing. Good news is that it's gowing slowlly, about 0.7-0.8 inches per year, so it's going to take a lot of time. But it might be the bad news too, since those folks in Africa desperately need water ;)

It?s interesting from a sciencist point of view but terribly scary as human beings.By the way, ocean water it?s not for drinking, you know. No joke, please. They would need desalation machines, and that?s really expensive.

Well if it is an ocean we won't ever get to see it when it really gets big. But like SM said, what happens if it splits Africa? Will they make it two continents? Once part would be sort of like Australia maybe. Or they could just call it Northern and Soutern Africa or Easter and Western. Whatever happens. I think it'd be pretty funny to see this ocean forming in the middle of the desert. I might have to look it up on Google to see some pictures.