xisto Community
andrescasta

Pentium M Differences: 1.73ghz? 1.86? 2.1?

Hi. Trying to decide how fast a chip (Pentium M) to buy for my next notebook. The HP I'm looking at goes up to 2.13 GHz. I can afford to go with a 2.0 GHz, but can save $100 if I go with a 1.86. I can save more if I go with a 1.73. Any advice on Pentium M CPU speed? Any reason I should not buy the fastest one I can afford...without buying _the_ fastest (with the biggest price premium)? My experience tells me it's not worth the money to buy the _fastest_ CPU, but to go with a step down from the fastest. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks.

I would get one that is above average but not really the fastest unless you plan to do a lot on your computer. I suggest going with the 2.0 or the 1.86. They are the second and third fastest so your computer will be really fast but you don't have to have the fastest. I would probably buy the 1.86. You don't want to spend all your money on speed. There are other components you have to look into too.

OK, the reason because i prefer de 2.0ghz is because i have a Dell D600 with a Pentium M 1.6 (Banias), the problem of this laptop is the video card, a RADEON 9000(CPU 220) with 32Mb(400 DDR) dedicated, so probably is better to buy a laptop with a fastest and with more memory video card?? The complete spec of my system so you could recommend to me the best upgrade:512 MB RAMHD 40 GBCDRW/DVDWIFI 11mbpsBroadcom 1gigabitSXGA(max 1400x1050) 14"The battery life playing a dvd is 110 minutesThanks for the reply's