xisto Community
Ryo

The Weather Man

Ok so here we are up in connecticut. last friday a huge noreaster was predicted for our area. like 10 to 12 inches of snow. the time came closer like saterday night and they said 6 inches then sunday night adn they said like 3 inches so im all worked up about this snow storm and am excited because i might get to sleep 2 hours late but i wake up monday morinig and not one snaw flake fell the ground was bare. Y do the weather men always exadrate about things they make un educated guesses about how much snow or rain will come and nothing ever comes and it gets me really mad

Here they do the same thing. Although I wake up in the moring listening to the radio. There we're reports "I'm turning back would not recomend travel on the road" "Travel not recomended, RCMP suggest staying off Highway." ect. THen the weather guy says almost the entire Province is white out snow. Now I am all excited, because here it is december and you can still see the grass in some places, when I get upstairs, skys are clear, visability, yeah I can almost not see 10km!

Well their computers tell them snow and then once the time gets closer they get a more accurate forcast and sometimes it is the oppossite of what they originally thought. In fact it normally happens that way. The same always happens here. They will predict a bunch of rain but it will be sunny. When they track hurricanes they had lots of problems so now they have a system that shows all the possible tracks it could take and a margin of error. Sometimes they are way off because they are relying on a computer and the closer it gets to the time of rain the more accurate predictions you recieve on how much we will get because there is a less possibility something can change.

I know what you are saying. The weather people where I live are the biggest liers I have ever heard. They say its gonna be a nice 30 degree winter day and its around 10 degrees. They say its gonna be a nice sunny summer day and it rains all day. I do not see how false weather predictions make such good television. If you are not sure do not say anything and look at your weather map for a few more hours.

I know what you are saying. The weather people where I live are the biggest liers I have ever heard. They say its gonna be a nice 30 degree winter day and its around 10 degrees. They say its gonna be a nice sunny summer day and it rains all day. I do not see how false weather predictions make such good television. If you are not sure do not say anything and look at your weather map for a few more hours

lol The weather man is supposed to make prediction. It isn't there fault they dropped out of school :P j/k But it isn't all the time they are wrong, they make predictions on what the computers show them. I do think they should learn a bit more to study when something will change. Like if they see a cold front coming they should be able to know if something could change its course or not.

you know what i hate about weatherpeople?

They always say very happy:

tomorrow there will be a chance of 40% that it will rain.

then you can practicly say nothing!

its the same as 1% chance of rain.

Then when it rains, they would say. Ah damn, that would be that 1%.

so they'll always have something to fall back on.

So new idea:

Weatherman comes on stage and says:

Tomorrow there will be 26,9283928% chance that i will know what kind of weather we will get.

see you tomorrow!

Same thing happens here..I woke up Saturday, no idea that there was supposed to be anything exciting happening with the weather (when we get storms, its pretty well known before hand from everyone talking about it). But Saturday, I got up and was almost late for work because we had to drive 30km/h through a blizzard. Only 20cm, but still.. it'd be nice if they could predict these things a bit better :\ But its always been that way.. Just reverse anything the weather-people say. If they say it'll be a storm, ignore it. If they call for good weather, just stay home xP

I once heard that if you believe in the weather man, you believe in Santa lol. I think that a lot of weathermen are good and are very accurate. But your typical channel 7 news weatherman doesn't exactly predict the weather accurately very often.The Farmers Almanac is a pretty good weather predicter, but it is very sketchy and never precise. However, NOAA, is incredible predicting to the pinpoint of precision. When I have the time, I am on their website looking at their predictions. Hehe, but yeah, for the most part, they aren't that good.

The guys who actually run the computers that allow people to predict the weather are called meteorlogists. There is a science to their study. But the fact remains, we can not predict nature, even with the mathematical tools we have today. The Chaos Theory (or one part of it) dictates that even the smallest amount of change can have big ramifications for other things. That means that until we study how this theory affects us, we will end up having problem predicting weather.

Ok so here we are up in connecticut. last friday a huge noreaster was predicted for our area. like 10 to 12 inches of snow. the time came closer like saterday night and they said 6 inches then sunday night adn they said like 3 inches so im all worked up about this snow storm and am excited because i might get to sleep 2 hours late but i wake up monday morinig and not one snaw flake fell the ground was bare. Y do the weather men always exadrate about things they make un educated guesses about how much snow or rain will come and nothing ever comes and it gets me really mad

Oh how I remember that snow storm very well. They had the forecast all screwed up. But it really was not the NWS fault though. If I remember right it was due to a cold front that had stalled sooner than they had thought it would. the area of low pressure aka the nore easter was to ride up the front but since it has stalled out, it had nothing to help push it along. that is where all the major snow came from. we had near a foot of the stuff here on the NJ shore in about a 12 hour time when they had only said we would get maybe 6 to 8 inches.

Whats Going On With Weather Predictions?!The Weather Man

I dunno...I grew up in Pennsylvania and when our weatherman said we were going to get a foot of snow...Guess what? we got a foot of snow! When they said a bad storm was on the way...Guess what? a bad storm came! Now...This was all before we had all this technology , doppler radars etc...Now, you tell me...Why can,t they get it right up here in Connecticut? Last week we all sent our kids to school on the busses to only have the school system call all of us apologizing  because noone predicted the snow and icy conditions they went to school in ...Apparantly alot of students didn,t show up to school so they ended up cancelling it after our kids allready had  ( thank goodness ) safely arrived! Just a week later we are told...We are getting 8-16 inches with near blizzard conditions, so the schools closed the night before ( which is unusual to begin with ) but this was predicted about 100%! Guess what?...We all woke up the next morning to a dusting...And to make it worse...There was barely ANY accumulation all day, when the kids couldv,e gone to school. Little later..We maybe got an inch...Far cry from 8-16 inches?! What in the world is going on? Maybe they should study nature more than rely on their ultra sophisticated technology because something doesn,t seem to be working!

-reply by Karen M

That's true. It's almost like they roll some dice to predict the weather. It's often inaccurate. There are a few high profile weather websites that are also really bad.One of them telling you the current local temperature is 18 degrees outside when it's actually 8 degrees.

That's true. It's almost like they roll some dice to predict the weather. It's often inaccurate. There are a few high profile weather websites that are also really bad.
One of them telling you the current local temperature is 18 degrees outside when it's actually 8 degrees.

Networker your so right. it can be a roll of the dice sometimes than other times its as easy as 1 2 3. as for these high profile sites? why some are off with there temps is not there fault but the NWS. they get there temps dew points and humidity from them. sometimes there feeds are very very slow. I know myself I use a lot of programs where I get data from the National weather service such as radar. where there is a very large outbreak of server weather such as on May 10th of this year, there where times that the radar was lagging up to and over an hour. you can not blame these high profile sites as you call them. They just report what they can get such as I do.