xisto Community
rogerw

Can't Send Mail Via Smtp Help?

Hi all,I'm setting up my email accounts to use remotely with Outlook and/or Thunderbird. I have been able to set up my accounts to pull emails down from the server with both POP3 and IMAP. However, I'm not having any luck sending mail.I have tried multiple settings but can't figure it out. Outgoing mail server is set to "mail.[domain-name].com", port 25. I am using the same username/password details as for logging in to check mail - that being the email address and password that I have set up in cpanel for the particular email address I wanted. I am not using SPA.Any help would be much appreciated.Thanks.

Just on a curiosity, what is your internet connection type?The reason I ask is that I had to configure my Outlook to my DSL and I couldn't send any mail. That was until I edited my MTU value in my registry. Some Windows XP (all versions) are missing that value and it needs to be manually entered.

Just on a curiosity, what is your internet connection type?

211523[/snapback]

My internet connection is also DSL (ADSL in Australia if there is any difference?).

Can you give me a hint as to what reg key I need to edit in order to get this working? Support staff were able to send mail from a dummy account I created, so it's obviously something at my end.

Thanks.

This is the error I get from Outlook:

Task 'dummy - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Before trying my advice, know that you should always back-up your registry in case you need to perform a restore. By follow this instruction you are not placing any responsibility on Xisto or myself in any way if it harms your system.

If you are not familiar with editing registry please consult a technician.

Open your registry by Start > Run > regedit

Search or go to My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{**

**you have to find your interface. If you had multiple ISP before you must see which {*****} is your current Tcpip service. One way to find it is read the DhcpDomain value. It should state your ISP name.

Look for MTU on the Name column.

-->If you don't see it, do Edit > New > DWORD Value and name it MTU. Right click and select Modify > Base (select Decimal) and enter the value 1492. 1500 is the maximum but for DSL (or ADSL) due to short 8bit calculation its max is 1492.

-->If you see the MTU name make sure its value is 1492. See above on how to edit the value.

Click File > Exit

Restart your computer

And test out your email sending again. Send a short text message and html message.

The reason:

I read it somewhere that DSL's email sending protocol is bit different when it comes to sending a HTML email. I bet you if you just sent out TEXT message (setting in how emails are sent) it will go through just fine. But because Outlook's default email is set as HTML email, DSL (or ADSL) has difficulty in sending the full value. And that's why it looks for MTU value from the local computer and not the server computer. Sadly, Windows is too smart for setting every little detail when it comes to TCPIP settings (because it's redundant when a ISP and router will set the MTU value anyway) that it does not set the cap limit.

Hopefully this will solve your issue. Believe me, you won't get this kind of information from your DSL support representative or technician. They have no idea why it's not working since they are not aware of this solution.

Well, before I act all high and mighty please try this step and tell us if it has worked.

Hi there,well thanks for the reply, it's nice to know someone is at least trying :PAnyway, basically - it didn't work. I went through registry and edited all the MTU values I could find (2 of them) from 1300 to 1492 as per your instructions. I even created the value in one of the entries that didn't already have the MTU value.I rebooted each time and kept retrying, text and html each time. Nothing worked. Always the same thing.I set the dummy account on my Outlook at work today as well and it worked immediately - so it's definately something on this PC or to do with my connection or settings etc.I do also run a VPN to my brother's network to access mail from his Exchange server. However, I tried all the above settings with and without the VPN.Any other ideas?Thanks so far :P

Ouch... what a blow to my ego.

I was so sure that should have worked :P I know you were able to receive test email but just to double check, here is the link to set up Outlook with your email service http://forums.xisto.com/topic/29059-mail-settings-to-configure-outlook-express-common-mistakes-by-members/

Are they almost congruent with yours?

Yeah, sorry about the ego thing.I have tried everything you suggested, and double/triple-checked that my mail settings in Outlook are correct. And they are.It has to be something to do with my connection or router or ISP or something. I can't get my laptop to send mail either. Thing is, I've never had a problem with my Exchange email - just this.Any more ideas, fire 'em at me - I'll try anything. I'll try my ISP too and see if they have any clue.If you want to test it out yourself, here are the dummy account details I created for Admin:dummy@auswealth101.compassword: dummypwCheers.

I'm not sure if you have changed anything since your last post, but I have used your setting to make another account under my Outlook. And I was able to send mail out but incoming mail is not functioning. And it's because I don't have your cPanel user name and password... probably that's why I can only send but not receive.

I think you should talk to your ISP and tell them this error. Also, please provide us your website name so that we can check your dns and other parameters.