xisto Community
Cool_Freaker

Firefox- 1.5

Mozilla Introduces Firefox 1.5 and Ups the Ante in Web Browsing
New automatic update system makes Firefox an "install once and forget it" application for all types of Web users

MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA - Nov. 29, 2005 - One year after the debut of Firefox 1.0, and more than 100 million downloads later, Mozilla Corp. today released Firefox 1.5, the latest version of its acclaimed open source Web browser, available now as a free download from https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/?utm_source=getfirefox-com&utm_medium=referral. Firefox 1.5 builds upon the success of its predecessor to deliver an improved browser with significant performance and usability upgrades, security and privacy enhancements, best-in-class support for Web standards, and greater customization options.

With dozens of enhancements, Firefox 1.5 will draw many new users to the improved Web experience it affords, said Mitchell Baker, CEO of Mozilla Corporation. Firefox is proof of our passion for promoting choice and innovation on the Web and making the Internet accessible and productive. Firefox 1.5 is the easiest browser to install, use, customize, and keep up-to-date and secure.

For those of you who want the Noia 2.0 Theme remeber to DL the new version.

Also, some people have been complaining of the flash not loading.  This is in conjunction with AdBlock. 
Go to Tools->Adblock->Preferences
Then click on Adblock Options
Then un-check Obj-tabs

Notice from Rejected:

Edited by rejected (see edit history)

Just downloaded it! Works great - it's very stable, and runs faster on my PC!Also, when you can't access a page (due to a e.g. timeout), you don't get the annoying pop-up box that tells you that - instead, you are redirected to an internal firefox error page that you can view later if you are browsing something else at the moment (the page contains a "try again" button - neat!).Unfortunately, some existing plugins that you may have installed with your old firefox version cannot be used with the 1.5 version :D Well, in time, I'm sure that the authors of your favorite plugins will release a 1.5 compatible version soon :PAnyway, highly recommended! Straight to the download page everybody! :P

I had two skins: "Brushed" and "Silver", when I checked what was going on inside the "themes" option (under the "tools" menu), I found out that they were grayed out with a small label underneath it - "Disabled - not compatible with...".Hopefully, there will be new versions of these skins, compatible with FF 1.5 :P

Has anyone checked to see if the "speed enhancements" are required?

(The pipeline speed-ups from the Xisto tutorial about speeding up Firefox.
Here is the link to the tutorial: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/27446-firefox-tricks-to-boost-your-speed/ )

Or have they included the tuning in this new version of Firefox?

Might have to snag me a copy of 1.5 later.

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

Has anyone checked to see if the "speed enhancements" are required?

(The pipeline speed-ups from the Xisto tutorial about speeding up Firefox.

Here is the link to the tutorial: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/27446-firefox-tricks-to-boost-your-speed/ )

Or have they included the tuning in this new version of Firefox?

Might have to snag me a copy of 1.5 later.

211369[/snapback]

You could do the way told in that 'tutorial' or if you want to speed up your connection and page rendering without having to go into the about:config menu you also could use a great extension called Fasterfox in which you can do the same:

There are 5 settings (which you can set it in ->edit ->prefereces-> fasterfox) namely:

1 default = non optimized

2 couteous = rendering tweaks only, no increase on web server load

3 optimiced = network optimizations for increased performance within the RFC specs

4 turbo charged = Maximum performance, exeeds RFC specs

5 costum = advanced options

you can download this extension here

Following info will be quoted since it commes from the extension site itself :P

Quick Description

Performance and network tweaks for Firefox.

Fasterfox allows you to tweak many network and rendering settings such as simultaneous connections, pipelining, cache, DNS cache, and initial paint delay.

Dynamic speed increases can be obtained with the unique prefetching mechanism, which recycles idle bandwidth by silently loading and caching all of the links on the page you are browsing.

A popup blocker for popups initiated by Flash plug-ins is also included.

* Added German (de-DE) localization. Special

thanks to Gerald Frankl and Oliver Roth.

* Added Spanish(es-ES) localization. Special

thanks to Raul Gonzalez Duque.

* Updated Brazilian Portuguese (pt-BR) localization.

Special thanks to Marcelo Ghelman.

* Increased max version to 1.5.

Well what can you say about it really apart from that its like firefox 1 but better, thats about it its faster more stable (not that version 1 wasn't stable) and it has a few cool (but more importantly usefull) features. which are implemented very well and add to the excellent useability of the original version, I haven't really found any obvious flaws yet apart from some extension incapatibility but thats not really a problem with firefox. Lets just hope the extended advertising capaign works and more people at least try this great alternate browser.

Has anyone else have a problem where their scroll bar has disapeared? Because I updated my firefox to 1.5 and I don't have a scroll bar anymore. I don't know if its a setting or something with the theme I have... If anyone could give me some help, that would be greatly appreciated.

With the sites I visit on a daily basis I haven't noticed much difference at all in the way that firefox functions. All I could notice were a few interface changes that weren't too much different from how they were before.