xisto Community
Alex_W

Canadians Vs. Americans

I am a canadian and i have been hearing all this bad stuff about canadians not joining the war in Iraq and then I seen a TV show making fun of canadians on Live Television. The reason we didnt join the war was because we are not the country to start up stuff. We are a Peace Keeping country. Why did they ask us and not any other country like Europe to help. The reason we didnt help was because this is not our war its the U.S. They have a big army which is 5 times the size of ours. If we have went over there, we would of lost men. We power the whole Eastern Side of the U.S so in that way we are helping. They are helping us by giving us some of there cars. I am not trying to make everybody mad here but why are we making such a big deal about this. We should just stop and just forgot what happened cause that is now over.

And I am Cdn as well.An interesting point about Canada being criticised over not joining the US in the Iraqi thing is that before the US got involved, there was about 40% of their own population against the action. That'd be 40 % of about 250 million plus people, or about three times our entire population.I sure hope they get out of there soon and it all works out. For them and the Iraqi citizens...

I am a canadian and i have been hearing all this bad stuff about canadians not joining the war in Iraq and then I seen a TV show making fun of canadians on Live Television.  The reason we didnt join the war was because we are not the country to start up stuff.  We are a Peace Keeping country.  Why did they ask us and not any other country like Europe to help.  The reason we didnt help was because this is not our war its the U.S. They have a big army which is 5 times the size of ours.  If we have went over there, we would of lost men.  We power the whole Eastern Side of the U.S so in that way we are helping.  They are helping us by giving us some of there cars.  I am not trying to make everybody mad here but why are we making such a big deal about this.  We should just stop and just forgot what happened cause that is now over.

211182[/snapback]

Canadian fellows, I'm not sure if a Swiss (i.e. neutral) opinion might do any good. What I think is this administration has quickly become an expert at diverting people's attention from the main subjects so that they keep their hands free to tackle what they consider the main matters. Item: having people mixed up about Al Qaeda and Sadam. Item: making Iraq and terrorism the same thing. And so on, and so forth. The problem, folks, is not they're right or wrong. What's really amazing and worrying is many, many americans are willing to comply to what they're told by the administration. And that's always very, very dangerous for freedom.

So, I would say that for the moment, you Canadians will have to stand your ground in front of american criticism. What will happen is this topic will somehow sooner or later fade out to be replaced by another one that the administration fancies to toss to future voters.

well i ahvn't been seeing that lately or i might be missing it sometimes but actually not all americans agree about the war. iraq should have been left alone from the beginning our job was afghanistan only and we succeded very quickly in getting most of them and getting rid of the control their, but bush's stupid your know what needed to finish a war his daddy started. Hell i did my time in iraq lucky for me I guess it wasn't as bad as it is now, glad i don't have to go over their again.But I agree stand your ground and don't get involved wit hte war in iraq but get involve in preventing terrorism at home, i been hearing that quite a few terror cells are hanging around canada just waiting or suplly money and stuff.

well i ahvn't been seeing that lately or i might be missing it sometimes but actually not all americans agree about the war.

211233[/snapback]

Well, St-Michael, seen from a foreigner's viewpoint, I quite agree hat most americans in an eye-to-eye talk will act and talk as sensibly as you do. Now, taken as a whole community, the politically correct US attitude is seemingly to equate slight doubts with bitter criticism and mild criticism with an elaborate and devious form of terrorism. I'm referring ONLY to what I've seen and heard up to now about this uncanny war. I think it's a bit unfair to bite at Canadians just because they might not share the "public" US opinion about it, isn't it? I can remember a time when most americans had a way to exercize judgment and free-thinking. I'm sure it hasn't vanished, but had to go undercover.

Why did they ask us and not any other country like Europe to help

First of all Europe is not only one country.

Secondly, Bush administration did ask european countries to join. And some of them (us) joined :P thanks to presidents with small brain content, such as the żlaborist? prime minister Tony Blair and our old and stupid José Maria Aznar ("Ansar" is how Busch called him). I admire those countries which didn´t joint Bush in that particular crusade, like Canada, France or Germany. Nad that have good results too... maybe some sectors in the US hat you for that, but keeping neutral Canada gets a lot of respect because nowadays the easiest way is to do what the american president say. Believe me, I´m spanish and I feel ashamed for my country supporting that war, although I never voted that government.

And I have to say that from a european point of view, canadians look more friendly and less paranoiac than your fellows from the states. Although you all have the same face in South Park :P

Before the war in Iraq, I would say that Canadian and US people were pretty similar and the two countries did not differ much in opinions. Everyone always regarded Canada as the 51st state. And to be honest, it was true. Canada's culture was really the same as American culture. People acted and thought like Americans.AFTER the war in Iraq, I've noticed the two countries go farther and farther apart. The war really divided Canadians and the Americans. Now a lot of Canadians think very poorly of Americans who support the war. In fact, the war has divided America itself. I don't think in all the history of the country has it been so divided in their views and attitudes (besides the civil war). So Canada is still the 51st state but belonging to the state of liberals (ie. the east and west coast).Canada has won much respect in the international community by NOT joining the war in Iraq. The world knows that Iraq war was wrong and those who joined were not doing it for the right reasons. Canada can thank Cretien for standing his ground and supporting the opinions of its citizens (unlike the US).

Canadians RULEEE what! :D No offence but come on it just makes Amercians look so bad when they hired bush wow what an idiot there. Can u beleive that amercians use means of torture..to get informatin out of people i mean come on kinaping people and flying "secrete" planes to torture them...that's not a civilize country that's something China would do..lol :P:P

that's something China would do

Okay first of all, ouch, racist.

TV show making fun of canadians on Live Television.

Okay, but you gotta admit that we make our fair share of shows that make fun of Americans. Chilly Beach, for example, or even better yet, Rick Mercer's Talking to Americans (I love that show)

Canada can thank Cretien for standing his ground and supporting the opinions of its citizens (unlike the US).

Not a lot of us would thank Chretien for all that much, but I do have to agree with you. I also feel that not only has he saved us from political oppression, he may have also stopped a terrorist attach on Canadian soil. Or it could be the theory that terrorist organizations have established themselves in Canada, and don't want to attack the "mother country" so to speak :P. Maybe this isn't something I should be sharing, for matters of national security reasons, but how's this,

Posted Image

this is what the Canada US border looks like in the less secure areas.

So I don't think that over all this is that big an issue. As the COUNTRY of Canada we have the right to choose who we go to war with, and who we remain neutral with. And frankly just because big brother to the south says so, isn't a very good reason.

Okay first of all, ouch, racist.

Okay, but you gotta admit that we make our fair share of shows that make fun of Americans.  Chilly Beach, for example, or even better yet, Rick Mercer's Talking to Americans (I love that show)

Not a lot of us would thank Chretien for all that much, but I do have to agree with you.  I also feel that not only has he saved us from political oppression, he may have also stopped a terrorist attach on Canadian soil.  Or it could be the theory that terrorist organizations have established themselves in Canada, and don't want to attack the "mother country" so to speak  :P.  Maybe this isn't something I should be sharing, for matters of national security reasons, but how's this,

Posted Image

this is what the Canada US border looks like in the less secure areas.

So I don't think that over all this is that big an issue.  As the COUNTRY of Canada we have the right to choose who we go to war with, and who we remain neutral with.  And frankly just because big brother to the south says so, isn't a very good reason.

211364[/snapback]

how is that racist that's a known fact that China's serious human rights problems :P ..everyone knows that. :D

Ya. China is one of the worst offenders of human rights. They throw people in jail for no good reason, don't give them a trial, and just leave them there indefinately.The chinese government is trying to "play nice" lately because they don't want to ruin their image for the up coming olympics (which was given to them for political reasons). But rest assured, even though they are putting on the "we care about human rights" face right now, they are doing stuff "under the table" all the time.Money talks in china. Not individual rights.

Ya. China is one of the worst offenders of human rights.  They throw people in jail for no good reason, don't give them a trial, and just leave them there indefinately.

The chinese government is trying to "play nice" lately because they don't want to ruin their image for the up coming olympics (which was given to them for political reasons). 

But rest assured, even though they are putting on the "we care about human rights" face right now, they are doing stuff "under the table" all the time.

Money talks in china.  Not individual rights.

211438[/snapback]

Well, well, we're now talking about China which is way offshore both Canada and US, or Canadians Vs. Americans for all that. Can somebody tell me how we got there?

Just for the record, whatever personal opinions about death penalty might be, it's worth mentioning that both China and US have a comfortable lead ahead of all the other countries in the world at large.

Now, I'm not that sure that kidnapping people abroad and bringing them down in secret european jails (right-o xxbabygirlxx!) for the sake of fighting terrorism puts the US in the leading position to boast about protecting human rights. I'd feel much better if I could hear the person in charge make proof that all these guys are actually responsible of something wrong. Until then, I hate to say that China does exactly the same as the US do, and I'm not that happy 'bout it, folks. Plus I feel as queasy as the Governor of Michigan or Illinois, whatever, that all people sentenced to death penalty in his jails are guilty of what they're accused.

And a good day to all. Cheers!

Yes, I do agree that the US is going downhill ever since the war on iraq. They do not follow international laws anymore and do whatever they want. They introduce legislation that gives great powers to the government in revoking individual rights. For example, there is one person who is a "suspected" terrorist and was held in jail for over 2 years without being formally charged of a crime. This guy was in limbo for over 2 years in a US jail.This is exactly the type of thing that China does. This kind of thing was unheard of in the US before the iraq war and 911 but now it is accepted government practice. I remember when the US complained about Sadaam filming POWs during the iraq war saying it was illegal and against international laws. The US did the exact same thing to Sadaam when he was caught. The US is a big bunch of hypocrites. They only do things if it will benefit themselves. They will trample on all laws if it allows them to get ahead. They are truely fitting of being the most hated country in the world.I really hate to see such a great country fall so hard. All because of 1 president. But... the americans obviously liked the way their country was going because they voted him for a second term. This kind of makes it easy for terrorists to justify bombing innocent people in america. They VOTED for bush who will wage war against a coutnry just for their own gains... They put bush in that position even AFTER they knew his track record. I sometimes feel that americans deserve what they get and I'm not even a terrorist. Imagine how the terrorists feel.

Ya. China is one of the worst offenders of human rights.  They throw people in jail for no good reason, don't give them a trial, and just leave them there indefinately.

The chinese government is trying to "play nice" lately because they don't want to ruin their image for the up coming olympics (which was given to them for political reasons). 

But rest assured, even though they are putting on the "we care about human rights" face right now, they are doing stuff "under the table" all the time.

Money talks in china.  Not individual rights.

211438[/snapback]

yea i agree china isnt any better i heard that they bought off google to block out the words China human rights so people wont know what there missing..it's pretty funny and sad.

And they even inprisoned a guy who was celebrating the univerity massacre[i forgot what's it's called again but it's the one where the government killed a bunch of students because they wewre protesting for human rights]

And they havent even agreed not ONCE in the U.N peace keepers thing..they didnt even agreed to any of the rights that they would follow..because the U.N decided this year that they wanted to have more power and china of coarse disagreed to all the rights that there people should have :P

It's true i saw it in the news..Here's the story..A bunch of plan freak picture people..go around taking pictures of every plane out there..lately they have seen planes that havent been marked and they called the company and they foudn out the companies dont even exist. And they soon foudn out that US has been going out transporting peolpe out of the US into secret locations to torture people..they even went into Itlay's soil and took some guy and now there's a warrent out for 20 officers in Itlay!

It's not only google that china bought off. Microsoft and Yahoo both agreed to have chinese search results filtered for words such as freedom of speech and other such things. The big search companies are just doing it so they can get access to the chinese market.BTW the student protest was called dubbed the "Tiananmen Square Massacre". This happened in 1989, so it was a while ago.As for the US... I think they are a bunch of hypocrites (As I said before). They rag on people (china) about human rights but then they go and torture people. I saw on some news program that they try to make arab prisonners talk by degrading them. They get females to sexually dominate the arabs to humiliate and degrade them.This is so ridiculous.