xisto Community
Alex_W

Cars Can Now Go In Water

hey I found out that they now have cars that can go in water. I don't know if this has been out for a long time or not but I have seen this on TV the other day. The car I have seen on TV was said to be $900,000 to buy.

The Volkswagen Beatle could float on water for a bit.. :P Like the old saying "Ted Kennedy could be president if he drove a beatle."That's cool though, was it able to manuever in the water? Was it jet propelled or something like that?

Why wouldn't they make cars that can drive on water. It would be basically a hover craft. They are always trying to improve technology and they have probably been trying to make cars able to drive on water for years. Soon a car won't be just a car. It will be a boat, a plane, a suit case, a house, etc; They are always trying to combine things to make it seem easier than instead of driving a car getting out and taking a boat with other people. It's just the way of life. :P

Cars driving on water isnt a new thing. I've seen a car do that back in my younger years. Only reason you dont see much of them is cause most manufacturers dont feel like making them, for whatever the reason. As far as i know, the only way to get one is to modify your car.

oh.. i though yo usaid. .go IN water (as in underwater) <---. .some tanks could do that =Pwell.. if you guys ever watch monster garage on discovery channel.. they modified a car that run on water and stuff. And they had a race and i think the car beat the real boat.. But yeah.. pretty stupid i think =P.. I think they should just spend time making a vechicle that young children can use to get around. Without having a drive license.. =(..

Still, I'm excited to hear about a car that is now able to go underwater. When I watched the James Bond flick "The Spy Who Loved Me", I was wondering when they might come up with the technology to build something like that. Do you have any links related to that story?

yeah there is also another one called the Aqua Car, search google and there is a whole site and everything. The only snag is it can't yet go under water, but atop it is fine. Quite nice looking and pritty fast.

Soon a car won't be just a car.  It will be a boat, a plane, a suit case, a house, etc;

I don't know about a car-briefcase (this isn't the Jetsons), but quite a few people have already used their vehicles as homes, and they have been for decades (I think it was pioneered by the hippies).
Having a car-boat serves little purpose (aside from veing 'cool'), unless the car can travel great distances (over a Great Lake, for example).
Notice from jlhaslip:
edit to fix typo as reported

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

I think that the idea behind having a car that can also be a boat or a submersable is a very good one. Its a fun idea. Then family road trips could be alot more fun. Hey kids lets go to the local lake and drive around on it. Families could learn more about under water creatures etc. There would have to be more regulations and stuff but I digress. What I would rather see is even more fuel efficient cars and cars that run on alternate fuel sources. I am worried about the environment and the earth. The resources are dwindling.

There won't be sub-cars anytime soon; since internal combustion engines require oxygen to work; a resource that isn't very abundant underwater. Furthermore, most lakes that I have seen aren't exactly wheel-accessible; how would one get the car out of the water again, save from mounting air tanks on the car to allow it to re-surface.

I saw it. They also have a sports car. They are waterproof on the bottom and you just drive into the water. I am not sure if they have folding tires, I am sure some do. But they do have a prop on the back for propulsion. They are supposed to go about 30-35 in water.I think they should create a combo sub too. No serious. You go get a license and it has special cpabilities for sonar and a radar to see whats above you. Technology is going bust. I am sure they have quite a number of things that are beyond our imagination. Great topic though. Just reafirms what I saw a while back.

ok well this has been out for a while over in baltimore (usa...) they have a thing called the duck mobile or somtin like that but the car is shaped like a boat... it has wheels and a propeler and all that fun stuffbut yeah its been around for a while... its a tour boat so yeah... not like a sports car that can lol...

I don't doubt that there are floating cars, but a car that had the abilities of a submersible would be very ugly, not to mention very expensive. If it was ever majorly manufactured at all, it would only be for the very wealthy.