xisto Community
Jayclark

Free Fps: Alien Arena 2006

Well I was looking at some free FPS games. And since there are very few FPS game I would consider good. This one gets a 7 out of 10 from me. Its based on the CRX engine, which is based on the Id GPL source code. The graphics are pretty good for the engine. The community,while it is small (the game is only a few months old) is very friendly. The gameplay is good. Very smooth online even with dail-up. It has built in bots, 25 levels, five different game modes (Dm,CTF,etc). It has 9 different chracters to choose from and 8 diffrent guns. There is also a lot of pick ups in game. The developer of the game is very active, and he plays it so any issues with them game gets fixed much faster than you would expect. The game is open source. And for Windows and Linux. I'm thinking that if this game gets more press fromt he freeware sites and a bigger user base it might become pretty popular for freeware. Well enough of me explaining it try it out for yourself. :)

http://red.planetarena.org/

You need to download the full game and the patch.

This is by far the best open source free 3D online (Mass Multiplayer Online) game I've ever seen according to its screenshots..The game play is kindda like Halo 2.. I'm downloading it now.. I'll get back to post a review on it..

Cool, hope you like it. The screen shots are nice. Theres even an add on from the developer to make the graphics better and make them look "crisper". Although I think its in the testing phase right now. I ahven't tried the add-on yet. I've mainly jsut been testing the game. On the forum it claims a few maps have a few vehicles. I've only played on a few maps so I've haven't seen them yet. And you'll probably need to adjust your controls. You can do it in game. But if you want extra like change weapons with the mouse wheel you'll need to edit the control config file. IF your not sure how, just let me know and I'll give you the instructions.

Never mind about the config file you can edit the controls for the game within its menus. Guess I over looked it :) I would recommend changing the controls since the default ones aren't very good.