xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zorkaplex

Aol Talk

Several new AOL commercials put dirt on high speed internet connections because of the "viruses come at you faster" bull. Well i am thinking even though the viruses come at you faster doesnt your virus protection still protect you? Same concept will a roof and rain; a strong roof can hold up against a drop of rain aswell as when its pouring. Tell me if i am wrong but AOL is a scam i would not use them they have no idea what they are talking about.

the sort of internet user who listens to an advertisement that says faster is worse because you get things faster... doesn't need a faster internet connection :) AOL isn't really respected by many serious internet users, it just isn't good (saying that, but you can't get AOL in Australia ;))

Lol well put i must say that is one of the lamest excuses to use AOL. Same thing with netzero there is no way that a dial up can be faster or better than a broadband connection. Anyone who shows me something better than DSL i will believe it then.

Wow, AOL's sales pitch just gets better and better :) Regardless of what Internet connection speed you've got, your firewall should still protect you. Most viruses are pretty small anyway, so you don't notice them downloading, so you wouldn't really notice a change in speed from 56k to ADSL.

AOL is slowly realizing that competitors have a much bigger edge. Honestly, who wants to pay AOL's price for dial up internet when for the same price they can get hi speed internet??? It's a no brainer, and AOL realizes they're being outdone. There's no real way for AOL to up the ante on their competitors. Dial up internet is outdated and is fizzling out. Netzero only stands a chance at surviving because of cheaper rates. AOL is way overpriced, and despite nice features, it's no premier ISP.

Well AOL just says this stuff and people who are not that knowlagable about the internet are like OMG viruses and wet thier pants. Many people would have no idea if they were protected from these things (e.g. spyware/adware, in fact they don't even mention adware, even though it IS different from spyware) to begin with. But NetZero REALLY doesn't get it. Lol those nubs and their "instant on"... (read: that Instant On just makes a copy of the web page on your computer when you first visit the page, and whenver you visit it again it will just open that up, giving the appearance of a very fast interenet connection. This has been used for a LOOOOONG time.) Those SOB's also have the nerve to charge MONEY for this, in fact as much as a decent DSL connection (I'm thinkning of SBC here) would otherwise cost. Don't be stupid, go for the REAL thing instead of a stupid trick. And don't trust AOL either.

My family canceled aol along time ago and then one day we got a bill of 210 dollars. My parents flipped. We don't use aol. Nor do we have the program on our computers. My parents refused to pay the bill but then they had to. Then my parents told them to cancel all the screen names and what not but still we received a bill of 345 dollars. Turns out one of my sisters friends was using her screen name under guest and they charged us for it. We had to call the fraud department and have them fix it. I sat on the phone with aol telling them that we refuse to pay it becuase we don't even have a service with them anymore. The lady told us we have to pay it regardless. SO I called fraud department and got it all situated. I also called aol back and told them to cancel our names completely and if they don't were going to bring up a large problem to a news station. I hate aol. It screws up your computer. They use those stupid advertisments about viruss to get unknowlageable people to buy their products and use them. Most of the time these products don't do anything and they certainly are a pain in the butt to deal with.

I agree with anyone who thinks that AOL is garbage. Despite all of their security "efforts", it still has one major problem: it uses Internet Explorer, the most insecure browser on the planet. And yes it installs all sorts of junk on your computer, and it sort of takes over by making itself the default dial up connection, and running its "Spyware protection" software in the background.

AOL, listen to this and have happier users:

1) Use the Mozilla engine

2) Make it slim, and smaller (we don't have huge hard drives you know)

3) Change your advertising strategy. Don't confuse uneducated users (and make them spend more money)

4) Fix your billing procedures, and make it easier to cancel.

5) Don't follow Microsoft's path and try to take over the computing industry.

i used to have aol. i only have one thing to say. AOL SUCKS!!! i now use optimum online (cable internet) and its better than AOL and costs $29.99 A MONTH!! AOL costs $25 for dial up and its just $5 more for optimum online. that is quite a deal. also, i like netzero. i heard its offering its hi speed (accelerator) service for $5 less that it was because netzero 3g just became popular.

Guess what. You are more vunerlable when you have a broadband internet connection. Why you ask. You are constantly connected to the internet, which means that you have a very large timeframe for you to get attacked. With dial-up, you can only get attacked when you are connected to an ISP. With hi-speed, you can get attacked whenever your computer is on, and your network connection is operational.

You are really vernerable only if you keep your modem on 24/7 AND your computer on 24/7. It also helps to use a more security concious operating system (Windows 2000 / XP, Mac OS, Linux). But on the topic, AOL's security tools are not worth having if you also need to have the clunky AOL software on your computer. My recomendation: ZoneAlarm firewall (free personal edition, still plenty of features) and eTrust Easy AntiVirus($30 a year; well worth it).

don't get me started but im sorry you have:P I have enough complaints about AOL. First of all I used to have AOL for about 3 years and it WAS the worst internet provider I had! The thing is so slow I could go to the bathroom and come back and the page would still be loading, I also here they load up your pc with hidden spyware/adware that can only be removed by reformatting your pc. AOL is a HUGE scam, they cost 22 dollars for DIAL-UP!!My internet provider I have now costs half of much. I pay about 15 bucks a month for SBC Yahoo! DSL and it is the best internet provider I have ever had, its fast and doesn't ever mess up. I have been through several internet providers and I have had aol 7.0 and it was aweful. If you type in google "AOL sucks" you will get enough pages comming up about people saying how much aol sucks. I highly recommend to NOT get aol and get something else, if you want dialup get netzero or something just make sure its not AOL. I have been wishing that aol would go out of business but still millions of users use it, which I don't see why.