xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kvarnerexpress

Onclick In Layers

I'm trying to get a layer (in Netscape...) to respond to mouse clicks. Currently the text in the layer is a link and what I would like is for another layer to pop up when the link is clicked on (defining the word in the link) The problem is that I can't name each individual layer and use absolute references (there are a too many definitions) so I need to backtrace from the link to the layer it's in. I have no clue how to do this--I can acess the document of the bottom layer but I don't know how to get to the layer above (document.layers.parentLayer does not work)Any ideas?

Are you using javascript in href to call a function or javascript to show a layer? If yes, when calling the javascript code or javascript function, you can pass the current object (the layer that contains the link) to the function.

For example,

<script type="text/javascript">

function abc(currentObject){

// now you can get the layer without using id

}

</script>

<a href="#" onclick="abc(this)">link</a>

Using this method, you can let the function access the current layer without asigning any id to it.

Hope that it is useful to you.

I'm trying to get a layer (in Netscape...) to respond to mouse clicks. Currently the text in the layer is a link and what I would like is for another layer to pop up when the link is clicked on (defining the word in the link) The problem is that I can't name each individual layer and use absolute references (there are a too many definitions) so I need to backtrace from the link to the layer it's in. I have no clue how to do this--I can acess the document of the bottom layer but I don't know how to get to the layer above (document.layers.parentLayer does not work)

Any ideas?

210349[/snapback]