xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zorkaplex

Wifi Conection

The one thing i hate is how many things use wifi but u need to be in a hot spot!

I have found an article about this in Popular Science magazine:

"I love the fact that more and more devices are sporting built-in Wi-Fithe Sony PSP, smartphones, even Kodaks EasyShare-One digital camera. The lone hitch: Wi-Fi is useless without a hotspot. Sure, thousands of spots are available, but few are free, and coverage is far from ubiquitous. What if you could marry the short-range power of Wi-Fi with the huge coverage areas of high-speed cellular services such as EV-DO to create a portable hotspot? You could use any Wi-Fi-enabled gadget anywhere youve got a cell signal. Play multiplayer games with friends in the park, or blog an event in real-time. Since EV-DO works at freeway speeds, you could even give Internet access to an entire road-trip caravan.
Those are exactly the kinds of things you can do with the backpack below. Its secret ingredient: the Junxion Box. Plug a cellular-network card into the book-size open-source-based device, and voilŕinstant Wi-Fi hotspot, with speeds averaging around 700 kilobits per second. To power the box, I wired it to a 1.2-amp-hour battery and dropped both into the Voltaic Systems backpack, which has a built-in solar charger. Now I can surf for as long as three hours without being tethered to anything but a cell signal. The project isnt cheap, but prices for the components and service are sure to come down in the next year or so. In the meantime, you can find me in the hills around Southern California. Ill be the one surrounded by PSP-packing hikers."

By Mike Outmesguine

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Use the QUOTE tags instead of quotes when sighting an article. Credit reduced.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Wi Fi isn't that bad. I use my wireless internet in the airport and my hotel I was in a while ago. I do hate how if you move a few feet away from my house it dies. Some places don't have hotspots which I hate by my school does! :) They should make the whole world a hotspot. lol That would be cool if you could get a connection everywhere. I bet it would cost way too much though, like $60 a month.

That would be nice. WiFi all over the world. But i think one problem with that would be there probably wouldn't be enought people to go around and fix it when it crashes. Also you have a problem with people hacking your computer if you didn't have what it took to protect it and you would have hackers gettin in easy and gettin ur personal info. Or so thats a problem i think with WiFi around the whole world. I wouldn't mind having a WiFi hot spot in my area. God knows i need it with all the stuff i do on the net XD

That would be nice. WiFi all over the world. But i think one problem with that would be there probably wouldn't be enought people to go around and fix it when it crashes. Also you have a problem with people hacking your computer if you didn't have what it took to protect it and you would have hackers gettin in easy and gettin ur personal info. Or so thats a problem i think with WiFi around the whole world. I wouldn't mind having a WiFi hot spot in my area. God knows i need it with all the stuff i do on the net XD

You have to ruin it for me don't you? lol j/k I know there are problems I was just saying it would be nice. I am sure they will try it someday and people will try to sue when they get hacked but then they will respond by saying it is your fault you don't have the proper security measures. I am sure though that they will have it sooner or later with greater protection from hackers and stuff.

You have to ruin it for me don't you?

Well i wasen't trying to ruin anything lol all i was doing was stating the bad things about WiFi XPAlso another problem with the WiFi is that people would be paying more eather for there taxes or internet bill so that way they could keep it running

My Wifi, is so bad its insane. I got the 54G from Hawking and I can barely use it around the house, and when I asked for a replacement they said that they can because of a 30-Day Guarantee and then I asked for a refund and they said I would have to goto Future Shop to get my refund. Then I tried to get a refund, but I was out of the refund range, and all I could do was exchange. So I did, and I have the exact same quality of wifi. So I had to put the connect inside my room, so I can use it, but as soon as I get out of my room, no wifi. Isnt that a little insane?

yay, that sounds like a nice thing ... though it wouldn't help me at home 'cause there is a cell phone signal all around our house but as soon as you reach the front door, the connection dies (maybe we didn't pay the bill? ;D)ejay: if your access point has an antenna plug, you might want to try to get one ... or increase the ap's sending power, though I don't know how to do that...as for a world-wide WiFi network: that's a nice idea and you'd best start with your city :D there's a project at the local university by some guys who're trying to set up a city-wide wireless network where everybody who can afford the equipment sets up an access point and if you need help, they come over to increase the default sending power from about 28mW to 100mW (the maximum sending power you may have in Germany without having to get a licence). AFAIK they've got the campus area and some pieces of the city centre covered already and the best thing: it's absolutely free to use ... you might not always get a real broadband connection but it's fast enough to check your mails and stuff ;) ;)

I personally love Wi-fi. At my house we recently got two laptop computers and we had a normal wired router. That is a problem. We didn't want to go running cables all over the house or be tied to the router in the one room. When we got our Wi-fi router it opened up new possiblities like using our laptops anywhere we want in the house. I heard that some place in Michigan is having Wi-fi everywhere. They are putting transmitters on the telephone poles so everyone in the county gets free internet. It may be a rumor but if thats true then someday Wi-fi will be everywhere.

Soon, I think Wi-Fi will die out. The reason is simply: Verizon Wireless Broadband Access. For those who don't know what this is, it's a kind-of wireless,brodband speed, access. I don't know a whole lot about it, but for $40 per month plus a PC card, you can get this broadband access wherever there is service, which is growing weekly.

Actually. Yes.. verizon does have wireless broadband internet. So you will be able to use it anywhere you want.. as long as it has signal. I read this one article on the wall street journal. It said that sprint signed a contract with comcast. So in a few years or somewhere near in the future. Wireless internet will be like cell phones. Everyone wil lhave it. People will be able to access the internet from anywhere. All you need is a laptop =P.Well.. a bad thing about wifi i think would be hacking. Some hacker could bring their laptop to a certain place and upload a virus or who knows what they could do. And it will be hard for the FBI to track it because alot of people are using it too. It will just make it easier for them to hack.. since the FBI can't trace it back to the source. =P

Ello Again. I have bought my new D-Link Antenna for my Hawking Router, and the only thing it did was make everything worse, for the first two hours I oculd be anywhere in my house and use WIFI, and now I am on wired internet. GRRRR :D It makes me poed and now everyone at home is made because it shorted out and now noone has wifi, Wifi is awsome if it wrx