xisto Community
Jesse

Smoking Why Is It So Hard ...

Well time for me to Rant Again.I have been smoking cigs for as long as I can remember, I think I was about 11 or 12 when I started. And I remember that it was my mother that got me onto them. And now I have a serious health problem and I was told to stop. Ok no problem, you care to explain how I do that? Well this is what I was told, use patches and gum. Ok I use the patches, they stick for a few hours and fall off. They are surpost to be on for 24 Hours at a time. Well how can they stay on if they wont stick probably? I am surpost to use them for 12 weeks, how if they wont stick :P It is so hard to stop considering I have been smoking for so long already. But I know that I could be in more serious health problems if I dont. But man why is it so *darn* hard. I know that the nicotine is a problem because of how addictive it is. But yikes. Listen you patch making companies, if you seriouslly wanna help people quit for good, then at least make a *darn* product that works properly :P

the truth is if even you use those *darn* patches if you can be easily tempted to smoke still those *darn* things won't help... its just sheer determination and will that will helps you :P too bad.. the look of it is you don't have those qualities :P no offence :D

The only way to quit smoking is to use self control. Two people in my family have quit smoking just by self control. They were driven insane for a long time because they would not let themselves smoke. They used every quit smoking without having to do anything meathods and none of them work. You really have to want to quit in order to quit thats the bottom line.

basically you have to go cold turkey for the rest of your life, yeah its very hard, the stress will be their, but the best thing you can do is do stuff that doesn't require a puff every 2 seconds.

My brother quit smoking. He did it cold turkey which seem to work well for him. If I remember right He tried the patches and gum... and well he wasted money on those. I'm currently trying to quit. I couldn't do cold turkey. So I use the cut back method. I smoke less and less each week. Once my body gets used to lets 6 ciggarettes a day I cut back to 3 or 4 a day. Currently I smoke around 1 to 2 ciggarettes a day now. And going to try to give it up for good next week.

The best way is self control lke everyone else said. Once you put your mind to it you can do it! Just like anything in this world, you just have to beleive.

..the best way is never to start in the first place XDI've never been a smoker, so I don't know what to say about it..But I love how my dad says, "I could stop smoking any time I wanted".. but he never does. Like he's gaining something out of it.. >.>

I think all you need is a lot force of will. Try to think in your health, your breath the dryness in your mouth after smoking, etc. whenever you have the temptation to smoke a cigarette. And you?ll need a lot of support of your faily and friends.... I think that?s the point.

I'm in the same boat you are Jesse.....I've tried those stupid patches before.....they stuck for a good amount of time, but if a small little corner of the things gets dirty / wet, etc., it's like a plague that spreads through the rest of the patch, and it falls right off. I must say, they did their job quite well while they were on.....but they cost way too much for my liking. Not to try and be rude by any means here, but all of the non-smokers have no idea how it feels, and how hard it is to truly quit for good. I've "quit" many times before, and everytime, started back up (I think my longest non-smoking period was 1 month). I origionally started due to stress....kind of a calm-me-down type of thing. My body has just become accustomed to smoking when there is a stressful situation. In a way, a non-smoker giving a smoker suggestions as to how to stop is like those stupid math problems you had in high school. For example, Johnny is 60 miles away from Chicago.....he's driving at an average speed of 37 MPH.....how long will it take him to get there? Everyone always had an answer for it, but no one ever put into consideration delays he may have while driving to his destination ie A car wreck somewhere along the way, or a line of old people drivers that stopped to look at the squirrels. The non-smokers can give you adivce (and good advice at that), but when it comes to everything that comes inbetween you and stoping smoking, only someone that has succesfully made the trip will be able to help you

yea... idk whats so hard quitting smoking but thats because ive never tried it because i didnt want to get addicted... i have strong enough of a will to not fall in to peer pressure... i also have a friend who grew up with parents that smoked.. so of course he started... his gf and i asked him to stop... he did... cold turkey and he says that he doesnt see y its so hard.. but he never got addicted... but i do know some people that are and cant stop... my ex smoked and i asked her to stop... she did but kind of slowly... we broke up and she started smoking again unfortunately... and now im kind of in the same situation again. my gf now used to smoke... i asked her to stop so she did... not cold turkey though.. i think the easiest way is to go slowly... but not TOO slow. but fortunately for me, she stopped cold turkey because i told her that if she quits now itll be a lot easier to quit... and that every time she smokes.. she should think of me (which is what i told my ex to do too...) and that every cigarette she didnt smoke will be one more day she can spend with me... so in short... if u have a bf/gf and u smoke and want to quit... just think that u can be with them longer if u dont smoke... hope it works... :) good luck everyone

I've never smoked, so I don't know what its like to try and quit.I have, however, been slightly addicted to something else, which will remain unnamed for the time being. I know what its like to want that one thing all the time, whenever something hurts or whenever everything feels like its about to implode upon you from stress. I've managed to stop for almost a year and a half, and the thought is still there.. it'll probably never go away. The only thing thats kept me from going back was knowing that I shouldn't, and finding something (however pointless) to occupy my hands and mind with. Play a game, talk to someone, write a story, draw.. anything except think about it or do it. Its not easy, but it makes it fade away..

I am also one who says, you have to want it, self determination.But I think there can be other motivating factors as well.My wife used to smoke when we first started dating. a box a day. uff. I never said she should stop, but she wanted to stop, because I did not like the smoke. So her motivation was to spend more time with me and make it more pleasant for me to be with her. Now she has not touched a cigarette in two years. Funnily enough, after she stopped she would still occasionally give in to a craving only happened once or twice, but that always infuriated me more then when she was still smoking regularly.However, I am talking about motivation.Her motivation was obviously not primarily health related, but relationship related. But she also discovered there were other upside, like waking up and not being in a stinking room, or having a car that does not smell like pest - which increases the retail value immensely.So health reasons are good reasons to stop, very good reasons, but there are other seemingly secondary reasons, that might make it easier for you as well, to stop it. Think about it, you might find something

I am tempted to say, strap yourself to you're bed and stay there for a few months, but you could never do it anyway. You should try something to occupy your time. Get into a very busy sport or take up something that requires you to be around almost all day and makes you too tired at night to do anything else. If you don't have a job or are not tied up, go to a camp some where. Here in the U.S. the forest service offer free room and board in exchange for working all day. And trust me, that work would keep you very busy.The key is to keep very busy. Remember, it is a habit, or your health. You have to take your pick. Stick to it man. Good luck and I will be cheering for you.

Well time for me to Rant Again.

I have been smoking cigs for as long as I can remember, I think I was about 11 or 12 when I started. And I remember that it was my mother that got me onto them. And now I have a serious health problem and I was told to stop. Ok no problem, you care to explain how I do that?

Well this is what I was told, use patches and gum. Ok I use the patches, they stick for a few hours and fall off. They are surpost to be on for 24 Hours at a time. Well how can they stay on if they wont stick probably? I am surpost to use them for 12 weeks, how if they wont stick  ;)

It is so hard to stop considering I have been smoking for so long already. But I know that I could be in more serious health problems if I dont. But man why is it so *darn* hard. I know that the nicotine is a problem because of how addictive it is. But yikes.

Listen you patch making companies, if you seriouslly wanna help people quit for good, then at least make a *darn* product that works properly  ;)

209747[/snapback]

in stead of using patches and gums etc. try the only thing that help: your will. If you dont want to stop smoking, 'no matter what you take or what you buy, you won't succeed with it. Only if you really want to in your heart, you will bee able to stop. self fullfilling prophecy???