xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
andrescasta

Wi-fi Problem Between a laptop and a desktop

Hi.. I know someone here has the answer to this..this group always does!!I just recently installed Bellsouth DSL with a Westell Wirespeed Modem. I added a Belkin Wireless G router so I could surf wirelessly on my laptop. Here's the problem...The laptop works great..full speed, etc. However, the desktop..which is hardwired through ethernet ports..will not let me load certain pages. The most annoying is that I can log onto my yahoo email, and even get my yahoo email home page, but it will not load my inbox. I'm also having problems going over two pages deep in Ebay. The pages that will not load on the desktop WILL load on the laptop. I've tried empting the caches in both Mozilla and IE (the web page not loading occurs in both browsers). I've also tinkered with dropping the firewalls and lowering security settings. I?ve also made sure that all the firmware was updated. Anyone have any ideas? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!andrescasta

what do you mean by wont let you load. does it give you any error message? just show a balnk screen? or what is it? if it is a complex error message maybe you cna post a screenshot of it. other than that theres nothing i can think of that could be the problem. maybe you could but a wifi adapter to work with your desktop over usb or something. but im not sure you wanna use money for something that probably can be fixed easyly.

I don't think this is the problem in this case, it's most likely to be a problem due to the way your computer and your laptop's connected + wires + routers etc.

BUT... I've known people in the past, who've experienced problems along these lines either because their internet router accessibility browsing settings are incorrect (i.e. maybe a certain site, service or port is blocked) or quite simply, the computer is blocking something, although I can't see why the others would work.

Best thing to do, would be to log into your wireless router (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ or http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ Or any other ip your router could've taken.).

If you could give more information though, it may help. At the moment, these are the only *General* things i can think of.

Hope this helps :P

Firstly, make sure your PC, or whichever by wire, is connected to ethernet port 1 or the router. Only after port 1 of the router is used, port 2 will then be valid for use, followed by port 3 and so on. So make sure the port number usage is in sequence.Another possibility could be that your software firewall on the wired computer is blocking access to certain websites. These settings could be of accidental, so do check to confirm it is not the cause of the problem. Also, if you are using Norton firewall products, make sure the settings are saved to the correct profiles. Remember to allow full access to your router's/gateway's IP address, usually 192.168.1.1A tip to check if software firewall is the problem, disable auto-protect, and disable the firewall totally before trying to connect to the sites that you couldn't access to.Otherwise, if a wireless computer is able to surf the internet without any problems, a wired computer will definately also able to do so. The wired computer has, in fact, better quality of service as compared to the wireless connected computers.If it still fails, I suggest asking your friends for their brand of routers, borrow them to try out for your computers. If even this still doesn't work, most probably it would be something blocking access to the internet on the wired computer.

because you have not listed what system you have used on both notebook and desktop pc. that could hard to help you. would you mind post you os, software and hardware information here. :P basically, it seems to be the os problems. you can use notebook but not desktop should be the automatically configuration of wireless network connection with wireless service. the wired connection can't take advanages of this. provides this little info as you reference- hope this help

to me it would seem that your router is working correctly as webpages are being loaded without problems to your laptop which is connected wirelessly.as your desktop pc is connected via network cabling it rules out all the wireless SSID / security authentication problems.do a virus scan on the desktop pc ... it may be infected.if that reveals nothing , my advice is to reinstall windows on your desktop pc as it seems to have got corrupted.