xisto Community
ribbons&pearls

They Never Listen my parents never listen

i swear that i'm gonna duct tape my mother's mouth is she doesn't start listening to what i say. She always gives me crap for not listening to her, but really its the other way around. I get into trouble from her aLL The time because she never actually listens to EXACTLY what i say. she'll pretend she's listening and only catch a FEW of the details like... if i said i was going to wear a red and pink dress with black butterflies on it she would only catch that i was going to wear a dress. her listening to me saying what i'm gonna wear isn't realli important cuz i have a much better fashion sense then her anyways but when its important stuff she NEVER listens !! am i just being a *BLEEP* and its normal for parents to do this or is she just being rude? do ne of you guyz get that?

well to put it in perspective parents fear change, don't get me wrong some people are just not ment to be caring adults, but when you think they are not listening to you they are, they just have hard to coping with change when they are in conflict of being an adult and want to be a kid as well. Best you can do is keep talking to her about what you are doing just to keep here updated. Of course being a brat to your parents doesn't help either best thing to do is listen what they have to say and then talk about how you feel about the situation at hand.And also in the fantasy world turkeys can talk as well. :P:P:(:D

My parents sometimes listen to me. But most of the time they're patronizing so i don't say anything. Just keep it all inside. And no i don't have anger problems. lol. The other day i was telling her i needed money to buy the graduation gown. And then the next day she said i didn't say anything to her baout it.

My mum never listens to me..and tells me off for not listening to her... But I must admit... sometimes you do follow in your parents footsteps haha... So you basically end up doing what she does most iritating to you..If you think about it. We don't listen to our parents more than they don't listen to us... I mean my mum tells me wear a coat all the time and I never listen to her. She tells me not to dye my hair again and I don't listen to her. She tells me not to spend all my money and I never listen... it all adds up :blink:Plus sometimes parents DO get old if they aren't already and forget EVERYTHING and ANYTHING you tell them in a matter of seconds.. and it's not on purpose.. That's basically what my mum is like.. I scream at her all the time for not listening, but then it isn't really her fault, but it is really. duh. confusing myself!

I've never seen a teen that is in a perfect relationship with his/her parents. It's normal.I used to have long, loud and repetitive fights with my mom. Then I understood it is useless. Just act all "I'm sorry, won't happen again" and you'll have less problems. It's better because what do you win from an argument? Nothing. Just a punishment.

My parents never listened. I called them one day, told them it was emergancy, and they never even left the lobby to answer the phone. The house got flooded when I got home, and alll I got was S--- about how I could have turned off the water main. How the he11 did I know that the water main was at the back of my closet. So then they turned off the electricity to my room, and locked me in it to show I was grounded. I tried to explain, though that got me another week of being grounded :@

Might seem hard or a bit silly, but if you start to talk to your parents like an adult (not arguing with them when ever you don't get your way) then most parents respond to that and start listening to you more and even give you more freedom. This isn't to say that you can't disagree with your parents over things - it just means that you should talk to them the same respect as you would any other person and you should try to take their views into consideration as well.

Callum

Might seem hard or a bit silly, but if you start to talk to your parents like an adult (not arguing with them when ever you don't get your way) then most parents respond to that and start listening to you more and even give you more freedom. This isn't to say that you can't disagree with your parents over things - it just means that you should talk to them the same respect as you would any other person and you should try to take their views into consideration as well.

Callum

222101[/snapback]

That's a very mature answer, Callum. I agree with what you said. It just seems bad when parents nag and fuss about us not listening to them when in reality that is what's happening, maybe not all the time but it's true. That's a good advice even to me. :(

i swear that i'm gonna duct tape my mother's mouth is she doesn't start listening to what i say. She always gives me crap for not listening to her, but really its the other way around. I get into trouble from her aLL The time because she never actually listens to EXACTLY what i say. she'll pretend she's listening and only catch a FEW of the details like... if i said i was going to wear a red and pink dress with black butterflies on it she would only catch that i was going to wear a dress. her listening to me saying what i'm gonna wear isn't realli important cuz i have a much better fashion sense then her anyways but when its important stuff she NEVER listens !! am i just being a *BLEEP* and its normal for parents to do this or is she just being rude? do ne of you guyz get that?

209512[/snapback]

ribbons&pearls, you're a doll and I do mean it. I fathered two daugthers, and I've seen the same as you describe, repeatedly and from the other side of the fence. Never paid much attention when I was supposed to and, know what? the lassies love me and I love'em with all my heart.

Keep doing the good job of being yourself. Any parent worth speaking of will eventually melt down in front of a pig-headed young lady. But, shhhh! No parent worth speaking of will acknowledge it publicly.

Cheers! :(

hey, I just had a bad experience with my parents.the thing is that in our school we have 5 periods, each period we have to do 2 exams and that's how it works and has always worked. the thing is that this year we had 3 normal periods and this one was the one that changed. our director went to our classroom and told us we needed to know things about the new school system that there was going to be 1 exam not possible to excent because they wanted to know how do the students are doing in knowledge aspects so that's why it is not possible to excent.that day (it had to be that day of all the days) my mom decided that it was a good idea to go to the dentist (i have to miss school everytime we go to the dentist because he lives in another city and my mom doesn't trust other dentists) so i missed school and i missed that day. anyway, the announcement was done about a week of anticipation so i didn't even ask or anything (how would i ask? "did there was a sudden change in the school system")so anyway, the day of the first exam i went to the school without studying and uhh... failed the history exam. obviously i was shocked when i entered the door and i saw that everybody were studying.now my parents say that it was my fault and they punished me for 3 months without having the opportunity to go out, just because of an exam. you can't imagine how angry they were, yelling and everything. all ended with slapping doors, they just didn't want to listen nor ignore the grade (it's just a grade...)

As a mum I try to listen to my 5 year old as much as I can but it seems for some reason I'm switched off sometimes. I know it frustrates her at times. My husband can be REALLY bad with not listening or listening carefully - in one ear and out the other, I keep saying so I understand the frustration. I also remember that that was how it was with my mum. She always seemed more interested in talking to her friends than listening to us kids - most of the time all we'd get was mmm hmm and yes dear or uh huh etc. There was this one time where I picked up our cat and discovered she was blind - I go up to my Mum who is talking to one of her friends saying, mum, mum, there's something wrong with the cat. Over and over I try to get her attention. She completely ignored me until I yelled at her "the cat is blind." Sometimes I wonder if when parents have children that there is something in the brain that makes them switch off to a certain degree. In my defence, it's not so easy with me as I have M.E. (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) so my head feels like it is always full of wool. But I do battle to engage with her when I'm feeling distracted. On that note however, it's one thing to ignore the often fantastical tales of small children but to ignore an older son or daughter is inexcusable. My father was very abusive and only interested in controlling me so that I would end up being what he wanted me to be. Needless to say I wasn't listened to much. My best advice is, fighting with your parents never gets you anywhere. Wait till you're both in a calm state of mind, invite your parent(s) into your room (yes your room - inviting them into your inner sanctum shows them some measurement of trust, though I'd make sure it was at least a little tidy so they can't blow up at you for that) and talk to them in as grown up fashion as possible. Even if they blow up at you, remain calm and civil. You'll gain a lot of respect and they may start listening to you a little more carefully. Of course if they are abusive or borderline, family counselling may be in order. I've fought a lot with my parents and yelling at them never got me anywhere but they always listened if I sat down calmly with them - they didn't always agree but they at least listened. Good parents (unfortunately not all are good) are only ever trying to do the best for you. They don't want you to make mistakes especially the ones they made. Some of the things they require might seem backward but they are just looking out for you. They might yell and scream and punish unfairly but they only do so out of love. I used to get my parents a good one sometimes by calmly saying with as much love in my voice as possible " I love you too Mum/Dad". It usually made them stop and think about what they were saying and how they were saying it - try it some time! :(

Well in most cases it is not that your parents do not listen to you or care about you it is the fact they think they know what is best for you and will not listen to your view on what is best for you because they already have a mindset that they think should not be changed. Why parents are like this I do not know. Sometimes they may be wrong but what are you going to do? Just deal with it for a few more years and you'll be fine.

Ya i know how you feel my parents at least my dad anyways dont ever listen to me. The other day my grandma was drunk and broke all the plates cause she didnt like them anymore and then blamed it on me. I kept telling my dad it wasnt me and he wouldnt listen to me then i kicked him on the floor and i pinned him down and started yelling at him. I would say my exact words but there a bit harsh and he still wouldnt listen to me so i jus walked out the door. The best way to make them listen is to runaway a few times they should listen after the 3rd time

Ya i know how you feel my parents at least my dad anyways dont ever listen to me.  The other day my grandma was drunk and broke all the plates cause she didnt like them anymore and then blamed it on me. I kept telling my dad it wasnt me and he wouldnt listen to me then i kicked him on the floor and i pinned him down  and started yelling at him. I would say my exact words but there a bit harsh and he still wouldnt listen to me so i jus walked out the door. The best way to make them listen is to runaway a few times they should listen after the 3rd time

224162[/snapback]

I'm afraid running away might get their attention but it won't get you their respect and to have a truely positive and constructive relationship with your parents, you want their love and respect not their wrath. No offence, but I don't think that getting physical is going to make them listen to you any better - perhaps out of fear, but then do you really want your parents fearing you? I would only ever recommend running away if your parent(s) (or caregiver for that matter) is abusive and even then only if it is the last resort and you have somewhere safe to go just as I did with my abusive father - I researched what I could do first, found that I didn't have any helpful options, rang my mum (they're divorced) who sent someone to come and get without my father knowing. My father had no respec t for me to start with and he certainly didn't give me any respect for running away. I always talk to my Mum in a civil way and she respects what I say, even if she doesn't agree with it. Getting violent and running off for no good reason will never get you anywhere.

I know how ya'll feel. I play the piano and my teacher gave me some music to play in front of the whole school and told me to practice it. I practiced for a day. My mom would tell me to play the song so she could hear how it sounded. I said "NO" and kept on playing the piano ( the song I was already playing ) anyway, we got into this argument about how this was good for me...and...bla bla bla and we let it go. My dad yelled at me and he said that if I didnt do this I couldn't go to my friends' house or anything like that. I said OK! The truth is I hate piano, but if I told my parents that they would HATE ME even more! The next day my teacher told me I would be playing the song next week. I said, my parents said I didn't have to do it. She said she had received an e-mail from my mom that said that I was going to play (I don't think my mom gets it) I won't do it, but how do I get my MOM to listen to me?????P.S. I could use advice!!!!!-Tercia14