xisto Community
daxleet

Desktop Doesn't Load

i click on my login name, it says Loading settings, then the screen just goes to a blank screen with just my wallpaper showing. You can press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and switch users with WINDOWS+L. So it doesn't freeze. I tried ending and re starting explorer.exe, and still it did not work. Please help me, thanks.-dax

Maybe you have no desktop items. XD Just kiddingWell when I have problem I close EVERYTHING. Hit CTRL + ALT + DEL and end everything, including your system operated programs. Then reboot. If that doesn't work, maybe your computer is taking it's time loading your desktop icons. Or instead of using CTRL + ALT + DEL, Hit Start > Run > explorer.exe. If that doesn't work, try calling customer service/help. You computer may be damage, or screwed.I hope I helped.

Maybe you have no desktop items. XD Just kidding

Well when I have problem I close EVERYTHING. Hit CTRL + ALT + DEL and end everything, including your system operated programs. Then reboot. If that doesn't work, maybe your computer is taking it's time loading your desktop icons.

Or instead of using CTRL + ALT + DEL, Hit Start > Run > explorer.exe.

If that doesn't work, try calling customer service/help. You computer may be damage, or screwed.

I hope I helped.

209164[/snapback]

there is no start menu. i'll probably end up calling someone to get it fixxed.

daxleet,See if you can enter into the safe mode. If you are not familiar how to enter, when your computer starts just hold on to F8 until DOS based menu shows up and select to be started in the safe mode. If your computer successfully starts in the SAFE MODE, restart the computer as normal to see if that fixes the problem.If not, you can always fix the booting information by inserting Windows XP (and I assume you have Windows XP) setup disk and choose fix widows. This option will not harm your existing files and programs. The last resort before reformatting the whole thing is to revert back to last known good boot up by performing the restore option using registry restore. It's under your Start menu.Hiaito, Please be kind with your words and do not express antipathy. Thank you.

It sounds to me like some components in your windows explorer is corrupted. You should goto safe mode and perform a system restore, not registry restore, from the last saved point (assuming you didn't turn off system restore).If that doesn't work (because you don't have system restore on), try booting to safe mode and running "sfc /scannow" (no quotes). Type that into RUN from the start menu. It will check your windows install to see if files are corrupted and then ask you for the windows XP disk to fix it.Then you can try, as the previuos poster suggests, going to the XP disk on boot up and selecting REPAIR.Basically, if none of this works, you must re-install the OS. And you might lose some information.

Get Taskbar to load and start process = explorer.exe (found in the Windows folder) This should get your desktop to load if not try getting a virus check done, this is most likely have caused your problem. If not Re-format and re-install windows. It is most likely a startup problem, set explorer.exe as a startup option.

Get Taskbar to load and start process = explorer.exe (found in the Windows folder) This should get your desktop to load if not try getting a virus check done, this is most likely have caused your problem. If not Re-format and re-install windows.

It is most likely a startup problem, set explorer.exe as a startup option.

209277[/snapback]

wow read my post you retard. it says "I HAVE TRIED TO CLOSE/RE OPEN EXPLORER".

anyway, i got a temporary bypass around it. i went to FILE>>NEW TASK. then typed in "D:" and all my *BLEEP* popped up. a SMART computer technician is coming to my house today.

wow read my post you retard.  it says "I HAVE TRIED TO CLOSE/RE OPEN EXPLORER".

anyway, i got a temporary bypass around it.  i went to FILE>>NEW TASK.  then typed in "D:" and all my *BLEEP* popped up.  a SMART computer technician is coming to my house today.

209908[/snapback]

Hey guy, mind the language a bit, we're just here to help you and I'm sure people don't like getting flamed on while trying to help...

Maybe you have no desktop items. XD Just kidding

yea,just click the start -> control center. then disable the items now using changed to classic,if it's all right/? if not,just click the start - run msconfig,see what runs with xp,uncheck all then reboot.
anyhow you could format the driver reinstall it.

If I were you, I would boot it up in Safe Mode (when restarting, press F8 constantly from the very beginning since restarting) and then using the arrow keys go down to "Dafe Mode". Now, when Safe Mode runs, supposing that you are running Windows XP Pro or another version, click on Start, point your cursor to "All Programs" then to "Accessories", next to "System Tools" and finally to "System Restore".Set your restore date to a day back when your Start Menu worked and everything, and then click on "Restore". It worked for almost every problem on my old computer, until one day my hard drive failed, and that didn't help...I had to get a new hard drive, but I highly doubt that it's a hardware problem, so System Restore *should* fix it.Now just cross your fingers, let your computer restart normally, and then see if it worked. Another problem might be the fact that you have users on your computer.If the System Restore did not work, attempt to delete your users in Safe Mode, accessed just like above.PM me if anything works...